LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my homeboys cutty is gettin werked on and we need to know how the hell we get that chrome lookin good again i tryed a lot of things, mothers chrome polish, another brand, even stuff with oils in it, the oils werked for a lil while but the faded chrome comes back, HELP US PLEASE!! thanks homies

·
Registered
6,840 Posts
how about re-plating it........ :biggrin: ....no seriously is it just faded or rusted or does iy have little pits in it etc?????

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yo whaddup we definatly don't wanna spend all the money re-plating it, but it's not pitting or rusted its just that faded ass chrome, like it's rough it's not smoothe pretty chrome it's rough faded ass chrome, it like needs to be brought back to life, or brought back up. lemme know thanks

·
Registered
80 Posts
i remember at awhole bunch of car shows they had this polishing stuff that really really polishes up chrome.....im sure some of you have seen the guy at the shows...he is always polishing up the bottoms of soda cans...i dont know wut the brand is but if a big car show comes around to were you live i bet you they will have a display for the stufff..personally never used it but looks like it is good stuff...

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
more than likely, its NOT chrome, but aluminum..

if its aluminum, search these forums for ways to polish aluminum trim..

·
Registered
9,403 Posts
when i had that i used polish like mothers or even nu-finish car wax that shit fucking worked sweet but i rubbed the fuck out of it with a piece of carpet like floor mat carpet

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
cool guys thanks and yo your probably right it's not chrome now that i think about it it is aluminum, but thanks guys we'll try some of this.

·
Banned
8,749 Posts
Originally posted by bigdanmcintosh@Aug 15 2003, 03:42 PM
if it is aluminum, its anodized...

strip the anodizing off, wetsand the aluminum, polish it...

it'll be a bith to keep clean though, thats what the anodizing does, seals in the shine...
some of the trim on these GM cars are aluminum. If you are doing this car for show, go all out. But if it's street try to keep it simple. It also depends on your wallet and what has to be done.

·
Registered
8,700 Posts
Originally posted by himae15@Aug 14 2003, 10:54 PM
i remember at awhole bunch of car shows they had this polishing stuff that really really polishes up chrome.....im sure some of you have seen the guy at the shows...he is always polishing up the bottoms of soda cans...i dont know wut the brand is but if a big car show comes around to were you live i bet you they will have a display for the stufff..personally never used it but looks like it is good stuff...
Wizards......

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
yea, its hard as hell keeping the shine like new after a polish job, but using mothers.. i noticed it takes a couple of months before the polished aluminum begins to cloud or show light scrathes again

·
Registered
313 Posts
yeah that shit is aluminum...i had trouble gettin to shine til i rubbed armor all vinyl protectant on it on accident n that nasty anodized look went away....try it

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Aluminum aint magnetic right? Put a magnet to the bitch and see if it sticks. If it is steel or whatever (I doubt) you can get a plug n plate kit from Caswell Plating for like 20 bucks. They also sell polishing kits with die grinders and the polish. If the aluminum has pits it should be sanded with 100 grit sandpaper, then 1000 grit make sure its smooth. Then use the polishes to get a mirror!! shine.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts