I used the stuff that they ut on windows of
skyscrapers, shit is the bomb, cannt see through
from the outside, but hardly noticable from inside

major brand here but with only aberage quali:
foliatec

·
Registered
895 Posts
man search the forum it has been posted enough times..............................its called BARE METAL FOIL i also believe the company name is called BARE METAL FOIL. The foil comes in sheets which you use an eXacto knife to cut out to fit the part you are foiling. Then you rub it with a q-tip or somthing soft until it molds to the piece of plastic and not many noticable wrinkles. Do not get the ULTRA BRIGHT stuff i hear is the shits. Hope that helps homie :cool: ;)

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
:uh: yeah, what he said also.......

Cut a piece that's larger than the piece you're chroming. Place it on top of the trim, then use a combination of your thumb, a q-tip and a toothpick to press it on the highest point of the trim. Then start working from the inside out to get it into all the grooves. When you're done, use a super sharp blade to run along the trim-just hard enough to cut the foil, or you might cut a groove into the paint/plastic and if you veer away from the trim, you'll end up with a nasty scratch. If you veer into the trim, stop and either back up or cut from the opposite side. If it's not too bad, you may be able to push the foil back or use a patch on it. Foil is so thin it's hard to tell.

·
Registered
8,670 Posts
Originally posted by The Mad Modeler@Aug 28 2003, 03:49 AM

Cut a piece that's larger than the piece you're chroming. Place it on top of the trim, then use a combination of your thumb, a q-tip and a toothpick to press it on the highest point of the trim. Then start working from the inside out to get it into all the grooves. When you're done, use a super sharp blade to run along the trim-just hard enough to cut the foil, or you might cut a groove into the paint/plastic and if you veer away from the trim, you'll end up with a nasty scratch. If you veer into the trim, stop and either back up or cut from the opposite side. If it's not too bad, you may be able to push the foil back or use a patch on it. Foil is so thin it's hard to tell.
took the words outta my mouth.... :biggrin:

K. Diaz

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
Originally posted by BigPoppa+Aug 28 2003, 10:48 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (BigPoppa @ Aug 28 2003, 10:48 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--The Mad Modeler@Aug 28 2003, 03:49 AM

took the words outta my mouth.... :biggrin:

K. Diaz[/b][/quote]
yepp, that was yours quoted from awhile back, sorry had to cut it short i was running late for work lol

·
Registered
21,387 Posts
Originally posted by AZ WAR CHIEF@Aug 29 2003, 01:49 PM
USE BARE METAL FOIL AND WHEN YOUR DONE WITH THE TRIMMING MAKE SURE TO CLEAR COAT SO THE METAL FOIL WONT COME OFF
doesn't that take away from the shine of the foil??

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
WHEN I DO IT. IT DOESNT COME OFF CAUSE WHEN IM DONE PAINTING THE WHOLE CAR AND THE BARE METAL I GIVE IT A COUPLE COATS OF CLEAR. THEN PUT IT IN A FOOD DEHYDRATER FOR A DAY THEN I WET SAND IT WITH FINE SAND PAPER BEING CAREFUL FOR THE EDGES ON THE CAR AND CORNERS . THEN I BUFF IT OUT GETTING A HIGH GLOSSY SHINE PLUS TOO IF YOU PUT GRAPHICS ON YOUR SANDING IT DOWN SO YOU GET THAT SMOOTH EFFECT WITHOUT FEELING THE EDGES OF THE PATTERNS

1 - 13 of 13 Posts