LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm currently trying to clean up the rear axle housing that has 25 years of road grime on it pluse a nice thin coat of rust....

i can't really sand blast the parts because i don't want sand all over the place... so i need an alternative..

are there cleaning agents, acids, etc that i can use... i need the metal to be ready for welding which means it doesn't have to be gleeming, but i would like to have the metal exposed to get a good weld.

any help would be appreciated!!!!

·
Premium Member
18,358 Posts
Soak it really good with WD40 2 or 3 times a day for 2 or 3 days in a row.... everything will wipe off with a rag.

But if you plan to paint it, you need to make sure to use a good degreaser (like Formula 409) to get the WD40 off before you try painting it.

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
is the frame off the body?

if the frame is off and free of components, heat water till its scolding hot with a wd-40, then use a wire brush and get to work.

you'll be amazed at how well this works. it also leave the metal ready to weld.

give it a try, you'll be amazed.

:cheesy: ,

cc

·
Registered
605 Posts
Originally posted by Cruz_Campos@Sep 10 2003, 06:04 PM

if the frame is off and free of components, heat water till its scolding hot with a wd-40, then use a wire brush and get to work.

you'll be amazed at how well this works. it also leave the metal ready to weld.

cc
What do you mean 'heat water with a wd-40'?

chris

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
Originally posted by WashPaChris 64+Sep 11 2003, 06:04 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (WashPaChris 64 @ Sep 11 2003, 06:04 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--Cruz_Campos@Sep 10 2003, 06:04 PM

you'll be amazed at how well this works.  it also leave the metal ready to weld.

cc
What do you mean 'heat water with a wd-40'?

chris[/b][/quote]
heat water with an electrical stove top in a coffe pot, or whatever and you can either add wd-40 to the water or spray a little bit on the frame.

you can just use water, but it has to be scolding hot.

thats it, you'd be amazed out how good it works.

cc

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
Just a corse wire brush (wheel) on an angle grinder will do the trick, no need to start a home science project guys.. geez..

Last edited by Bagged_Conti at Sep 11 2003, 09:31 PM

·
Registered
8,712 Posts
Originally posted by genob@Sep 10 2003, 04:37 PM
i'm currently trying to clean up the rear axle housing that has 25 years of road grime on it pluse a nice thin coat of rust....

i can't really sand blast the parts because i don't want sand all over the place... so i need an alternative..

are there cleaning agents, acids, etc that i can use... i need the metal to be ready for welding which means it doesn't have to be gleeming, but i would like to have the metal exposed to get a good weld.

any help would be appreciated!!!!
Does it have undercoat or rust?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts