LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Using thread works, but I think its one of the worst way to cut anything. Mainly because it leaves you with a jagged edge that will need to be sanded, and once all the sanding is done to even it out you will be left with a gap when the door is in the closed postion. Using the X-acto knife takes time but you get a far better result. Other than an X-acto knife there is a blade that can be used with a Dremel...I can't remember the exact name and size of it but it is extremely thin...kinda looks like something a Doctor would use, but it works great! I've used it several times and it gives you an extremely precise and clean cut. :cool:

·
Registered
439 Posts
use a dentists tool to start it... i think thats a dremel tool? :dunno:

and then after you get a little groove just use an xacto knife to cut it the rest of the way.

·
Registered
895 Posts
with dremel it leaves big gaps between the part you cut out and the body.. Thread is easy,fast, and you barely have to sand it and its easy to guide....just check to see you cutting on the line every once n awhile.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Hey Wgrydaz....The only time a dremel will leave a big gap is when you use like a thick cutting disk. If you use the one myself and several others are speaking of it will leave a very thine and fine cut. The disk itself is around $5 or so...its a small thin metal disk with a finely serated edge. It is the best way to go when cutting doors, trunks or anything else...it is by far better than using Thread, but hey...to each there own, que no. :biggrin:

·
Registered
895 Posts
Originally posted by 3rdCoast_Kobra@Aug 26 2003, 11:20 PM
Hey Wgrydaz....The only time a dremel will leave a big gap is when you use like a thick cutting disk. If you use the one myself and several others are speaking of it will leave a very thine and fine cut. The disk itself is around $5 or so...its a small thin metal disk with a finely serated edge. It is the best way to go when cutting doors, trunks or anything else...it is by far better than using Thread, but hey...to each there own, que no. :biggrin:
hey man i dont got a dremel so i do it the ghetto way :cool: :cool: but i do need to get a dremel :biggrin:

·
Registered
895 Posts
Originally posted by Purpura Delujo@Aug 27 2003, 02:30 AM
I used a normal scalpel for my `94 Impala, fucked up though and the bottom door sills snapped off :angry: How do you cut it with sewing thread?
well you take some thread........draw a line or follow the groove of the piece you want to cut and start puling the thread in a sawing motion with a little down force (not to much or it will break). It cuts threw the plastic rather quickly...just make sure you dont go outside the groove or line.
:cool:

·
Registered
10 Posts
i agree w/ ogmodelbuilder sewing thread is quick and clean

1 - 20 of 23 Posts