LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Triple OG
11,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I put my carb on the new engine I never did anything to the choke..don't I need to hook wires up to it or something? Where do they go? It is an electric choke.

·
Registered
15,195 Posts
Originally posted by concrete@Aug 6 2005, 12:13 PM~3551794
should the pos be straight from the battery?
no, you should never wire anything sttraight f4rom the battery. use a source thats hot with ignition in the on position.

dan - i think theyre labeled?

·
Triple OG
11,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally posted by Foompla@Aug 6 2005, 10:03 AM~3551938
no, you should never wire anything sttraight f4rom the battery.  use a source thats hot with ignition in the on position.

dan - i think theyre labeled?

yea, I figured it would be on all the time if it was wired straight from the batt.

I think it is labled...

any suggestions on wiring it? I was thinking from the fusebox on something like the radio or something like that. I don't have A/C anymore so if there is a fuse for that maybe I'll use that.

·
Registered
7,477 Posts
Originally posted by concrete@Aug 6 2005, 11:27 AM~3551996
yea, I figured it would be on all the time if it was wired straight from the batt.

I think it is labled...

any suggestions on wiring it? I was thinking from the fusebox on something like the radio or something like that. I don't have A/C anymore so if there is a fuse for that maybe I'll use that.
yeah but that wont be hot until the a/c is switched on. you need a 12 volt constant wire the same as an ignition wire, its on when the key is in the run pos. and off when its off. i think you can run it to the fusebox without problems. youll have to add wire obviously

·
Registered
9,656 Posts
theres a wire that is 12 volts switched to the alternator ... pretty close to the choke if your alt is on the pass side...

·
Face Puncher
25,975 Posts
Originally posted by Foompla@Aug 13 2005, 03:15 PM~3610354
give me an example - because when the cars cranking, battery volatge will drop... and everythigns connected to the battery?
when you crank your car, certain circuits drop totally out, usually things like your blower motor, the radio, etc..
if you hook the power from the HEI to such a circuit, the car will never start

·
Registered
15,195 Posts
Originally posted by 216RIDER@Aug 14 2005, 12:59 AM~3613033
when you crank your car, certain circuits drop totally out, usually things like your blower motor, the radio, etc..
if you hook the power from the HEI to such a circuit, the car will never start
ah ha. so basicall the stuff that is hot in acc or run, but not crank :cool:

·
Registered
9,656 Posts
Originally posted by Chris@Aug 14 2005, 06:12 AM~3613842
I think what he meant is its still a switched 12v even while cranking

the car only cranks for a second ...the choke heats up in a minute or so after the engine starts and stays on till you turn it off ..

and what are the draw backs of running it off the alternator 12 feed wire ... it's been hooked up like that for years ... and nothing is really going awry

1 - 20 of 21 Posts