I'd like to paint it myself but i have no idea how to prep the car

the paint is Dupont North Carolina Blue
with Ultraviolet pearl
and baby blue ice pearl

if anyone can gimmie some pointers please do

·
Registered
6,840 Posts
are you looking to repaint the whole car or just the spot on the door??? that paint job would be difficult to match because of the pearl--in addition any paint job which is that old will have a weathered look like you said thus if you spot paint an area it will always look different---peace

·
Registered
6,840 Posts
how many coats of paint are on the car or how many paint jobs have been applied on top of the original???

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
just one paint job over stock
and i believe it was just sprayed once blue then ultra pearl and then blue pearl

·
Registered
6,840 Posts
Originally posted by SammyLJ@Nov 18 2003, 09:38 PM
just one paint job over stock
and i believe it was just sprayed once blue then ultra pearl and then blue pearl
if the paint does not look to thick yo you---and you can only tell....look at the gaps in between the doors and hood to fender etc----as long as it looks okay then you can just prep over the exsisting paint job----make sure that the paint does not appear to be lifting anywhere and that it does not have any "crazing"---as long as none of this is present then you are good-----------one step that i do first which not eveyone does is to wipe down the entire car w/ wax cleaner and degreser----you can also use a dishsoap like joy and that will strip off most of the wax-----the reason to do this is because if you just start to wet sand and you have some wax on the car it can become embedded in the sand lines and then cause problems later............okay so you wsh down the car-----then you can wet sand it all down w/ 320 or400 wet and dry sand paper------make sure that you cut it uniform----you might want to use a small sanding block to do it some that it is completely flat----you can use your hand but make sure that you use uniform pressure----even the slight movement of your fingers can cause a different sand pattern------as for the chips you can use a da or sander polisher to feather them out---try not to go too deep though----just enough to make them feel smooth--------all the jams you have to clean and wet sand by hand-------once you are done with all the prep....and any body work that you might have to do then you can mask off all parts you don't want painted-----keep in mind that
"over spray" is a bitch and can get info the smallest opening---it's like smoke-------after you are masked off make sure to use a tack rag on the entire surface and then don't touch the surface again-----oils on your skin can even cause reaction even though it is very uncommon-----they begin your spraying-------------peace

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the only problems with the paint that i forsee is the chips, which i feather out..... so basically i sand so that they run even with the other paint
there is a good ding in the paint that someone hit with there door that kinda looks like someone tried to drive a nail through my door so the blue is gone the black is gone and i can see metal, its very small but what do i fill that in with?
also i have to refiberglass a few parts so do i have to primer over that? and if so then i should primer the whole panel and how would i sand for that?

thanks for everything, you have been more helpful then anyone

but i ask so many questions cause i've never done paint or body work before
i'm gonna practice on a body peice that i get from the wreckers

·
Registered
6,840 Posts
Originally posted by SammyLJ@Nov 19 2003, 08:27 AM
the only problems with the paint that i forsee is the chips, which i feather out..... so basically i sand so that they run even with the other paint
there is a good ding in the paint that someone hit with there door that kinda looks like someone tried to drive a nail through my door so the blue is gone the black is gone and i can see metal, its very small but what do i fill that in with?
also i have to refiberglass a few parts so do i have to primer over that? and if so then i should primer the whole panel and how would i sand for that?

for the dent bro you have to sand that location down to metal---if it is really deep then you can push it out from inside behind the door panel and get it worked out-----just don't hit it too hard or you will end up w/ a high spot------as far as filler-----any food filler will do----i use evercoat light filler----it works good------then you will have to primer over your body work-----------as far as the fiber glass areas----if you are going to leave the paint on that it has right now you only need to sand down the areas just like the rest of the body----if the paint is okay on those areas don't sand if off------as long as it was prepped well originally you can paint over the exsisting paint----if you have new parts or locations where the paint is flaking off you will have to add and additive----"flex additive" to those locations before you paint then so that they are flex in the sun---but you should be okay just spraying over the exsisting paint as long as you wet sand it correctly----------and yes the chips only have to be sanded even w/ the exsisting paint---you can do them hand as well w/ the same grit sand paper it you wish but you have to primer those spots if they do doen to bare metal------peace

·
Registered
10,888 Posts
Originally posted by lowriderlife+Nov 19 2003, 07:57 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (lowriderlife @ Nov 19 2003, 07:57 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--SammyLJ@Nov 19 2003, 08:27 AM

for the dent bro you have to sand that location down to metal---if it is really deep then you can push it out from inside behind the door panel and get it worked out-----just don't hit it too hard or you will end up w/ a high spot------as far as filler-----any food filler will do----i use evercoat light filler----it works good------then you will have to primer over your body work-----------as far as the fiber glass areas----if you are going to leave the paint on that it has right now you only need to sand down the areas just like the rest of the body----if the paint is okay on those areas don't sand if off------as long as it was prepped well originally you can paint over the exsisting paint----if you have new parts or locations where the paint is flaking off you will have to add and additive----"flex additive" to those locations before you paint then so that they are flex in the sun---but you should be okay just spraying over the exsisting paint as long as you wet sand it correctly----------and yes the chips only have to be sanded even w/ the exsisting paint---you can do them hand as well w/ the same grit sand paper it you wish but you have to primer those spots if they do doen to bare metal------peace[/b][/quote]
food filler :biggrin: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

·
Face Puncher
25,975 Posts
Originally posted by SWITCHCRAFT+Nov 20 2003, 10:25 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (SWITCHCRAFT @ Nov 20 2003, 10:25 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by [email protected] 19 2003, 07:57 PM
<!--QuoteBegin--SammyLJ
@Nov 19 2003, 08:27 AM

for the dent bro you have to sand that location down to metal---if it is really deep then you can push it out from inside behind the door panel and get it worked out-----just don't hit it too hard or you will end up w/ a high spot------as far as filler-----any food filler will do----i use evercoat light filler----it works good------then you will have to primer over your body work-----------as far as the fiber glass areas----if you are going to leave the paint on that it has right now you only need to sand down the areas just like the rest of the body----if the paint is okay on those areas don't sand if off------as long as it was prepped well originally you can paint over the exsisting paint----if you have new parts or locations where the paint is flaking off you will have to add and additive----"flex additive" to those locations before you paint then so that they are flex in the sun---but you should be okay just spraying over the exsisting paint as long as you wet sand it correctly----------and yes the chips only have to be sanded even w/ the exsisting paint---you can do them hand as well w/ the same grit sand paper it you wish but you have to primer those spots if they do doen to bare metal------peace
food filler :biggrin: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:[/b][/quote]
bodywork is tasty! :biggrin: :biggrin:

·
Face Puncher
25,975 Posts
Originally posted by SammyLJ@Nov 18 2003, 12:36 PM

it looks good but its old
in certain spots it has started to chip and some dick slamed his door into mine

I'd like to paint it myself but i have no idea how to prep the car

the paint is Dupont North Carolina Blue
with Ultraviolet pearl
and baby blue ice pearl

if anyone can gimmie some pointers please do
Can I assume that this is an SVO Mustang?
If so, can I see more pics please? :)

·
Registered
6,840 Posts
Originally posted by SammyLJ@Nov 21 2003, 07:52 AM
no its not
its a 95 neon
damn........... i was helping out to paint a neon----------hahahahahaha---- :biggrin: -----there goes the neighborhood--- :0 j/k

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
why do you think that i didnt post the whole car? lol
i agree to a point that its rice but i'm trying to be different from the imports and i dont street race at all
i would have gone with a lolo but hydros and winter dont mix

1 - 14 of 14 Posts