LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey people.
i want to lower my 1982 toyota corolla hatch. its got macpherson struts. i want to do it without buying new struts, and i dont want to spend any money. can u cut the coils at the top of the strut?
help me out please
:cool:

·
Registered
970 Posts
yup cuttem down ,..ride like ya got switches...just gotta remember the butterfly effect...

·
Registered
677 Posts
Don't cut your stock springs down.
You totally kill your spring rate...plus if it's not done perfectly, they won't seat on the strut properly and have been know to slip and blow through inner fender wells (ie. doing 100km/h on the highway and a front spring blows out...ouch!)

Save up your money and get a set of coilovers or a set of REAL drop springs if you want to have anything resembling a nice ride (and one that you don't have to worry about killing yourself)

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hm. so if i snip a few turns of those springs, the strut might pop out?
i mean, i didnt want to spend any money at all, and i only wanted to lower it about 2-3 inches. but if the chance of that happening is high, then i mightnt do it at all. and to buy new struts it wil be almost teh same price as juicing it. :(

·
Registered
677 Posts
Also if you are dropping you car that much on stock struts.
Say goodbye to your struts working since that will blow the valving in them totally...and FAST also.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
so how can i lower the car without paying out any money?

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ho wexpensive are those lowering springs? :(

·
Registered
970 Posts
listen homie...ive lowered many diffrent type of cars this way ,i dunno anyone harder on a car than myself ive never ever hada problem minus a little bounciness...that and i ripped out a rear wheel well dew to all the bouncin year after year that was a mazda 626

·
Registered
677 Posts
Lowering springs are around the $90-$250 range depending on the drop and the company.
Chances are that Intrax, Eibach, Sprint and Apex all make springs fro your car.
Take a wander around www.ebaymotors.com to see what is there.

Last edited by Skuce2 at Jan 7 2004, 12:12 AM

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
if stick to cutting at the most 1 1/2 coils off you will be fine........no, its not the best way to do it at all, but you will be OK. the coil may "rattle" a bit under no load but you can clip it the the seat if that worries you

·
Registered
970 Posts
i usually cut my springs in half ...no probs...a lot of scrappin but nuttin fell out my car or broke and i buast like 120 daily on the hwyno probs....a tall.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
well im worried, i wanted to get the car to drop a good 2-3 inches, but the struts up front arnt in the best condition and according to the mechanic could be replaced some time soon. but i dont have any money to do that. all iw ant to know is that the car will not fall apart if i cut a few turns off the coil to get it too sit low.
i wont ever go more than 110 kmph anyways. id be surprised if the engine could handle it.
but yeah, the sooner i know the better.

·
Registered
970 Posts
just cut your springs ...no worries..i would never give bad advice that could be dangerous..i swear!

·
Registered
677 Posts
IF you do cut a coil.

Cut on the side of the coil that DOES NOT have the flat side. And cut a full coil at at time(no 1/2 coils) so that the end of the spring still fits properly in the notch on the spring seat.

good luck

1 - 20 of 25 Posts