·
Registered
3,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how do you paint the grill with out getting paint all over the chrome

·
Registered
7,108 Posts
first you tape off the front, were all of the chrome is at, then you paint it from the back........... ;)

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
good one :cheesy:

·
Registered
312 Posts
What I did is take an acrylic flat black, brushed it on, and then wiped off the exccess on the grille bars... It came out nice...

·
Premium Member
21,387 Posts
Originally posted by BigPoppa@Dec 11 2003, 12:34 PM
use thinned down flat black paint (water based, others will eat the chrome) and dab it in the grille area. It's called washing, and the black should settle in the recessed areas. They're some stuff they sell too, called Black it Out, check the hobby shop.

K. Diaz
yep, that's the way to do it.

If you buy testors flat black in a little bottle, it's already really thin (for some odd reason) and it works without thinning it down. That's what i've been using lately.

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
will the paint wipe off the chome parts when its wet or will it just smear

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
WIPE IT OFF RIGHT AWAY!!! IF ITS TOO LIGHT THEN YOU DO IT AGAIN UNTIL YOU LIKE IT.

·
Class Act
26,972 Posts
Originally posted by 1ofaknd+Dec 11 2003, 12:44 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (1ofaknd @ Dec 11 2003, 12:44 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--BigPoppa@Dec 11 2003, 12:34 PM
use thinned down flat black paint (water based, others will eat the chrome) and dab it in the grille area.  It's called washing, and the black should settle in the recessed areas.  They're some stuff they sell too, called Black it Out, check the hobby shop.

K. Diaz

If you buy testors flat black in a little bottle, it's already really thin (for some odd reason) and it works without thinning it down. That's what i've been using lately.[/b][/quote]
youd be suprised to find a big puddle of shit at the bottom of the bottle when was the last time you stired it

·
Premium Member
21,387 Posts
Originally posted by Lownslow302+Dec 11 2003, 04:19 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Lownslow302 @ Dec 11 2003, 04:19 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by [email protected] 11 2003, 12:44 PM
<!--QuoteBegin--BigPoppa
@Dec 11 2003, 12:34 PM
use thinned down flat black paint (water based, others will eat the chrome) and dab it in the grille area.  It's called washing, and the black should settle in the recessed areas.  They're some stuff they sell too, called Black it Out, check the hobby shop.

K. Diaz

If you buy testors flat black in a little bottle, it's already really thin (for some odd reason) and it works without thinning it down. That's what i've been using lately.
youd be suprised to find a big puddle of shit at the bottom of the bottle when was the last time you stired it[/b][/quote]
i'm talkin' about a new bottle freshly stirred. It seems to me they make it way to thin.

·
Registered
312 Posts
yeah.. I think that too.. I shake it like a mo fo and it thickens up...

·
Registered
439 Posts
I don't paint my grills, i sand them from the back to make it look more realistic..

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
do you have any pics?

·
Registered
769 Posts
Originally posted by NortherntoucH@Dec 11 2003, 06:27 PM~1393941
I don't paint my grills, i sand them from the back to make it look more realistic..
That's the idea for my '64 & '65 Impalas as well as my '65 Rivi and maybe the '62 Belair! :)

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
paint thinner mixed with water put it on a q-tip and gently put on unwated spots but wipe it fast or it will take the chrome off 2

maybee goo gone will work

1 - 17 of 17 Posts