LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,258 Posts
how about this
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,468 Posts
Its not too hard to do, here is a shot of my Fleetwood:



The factory rear suspension on a caddy or g-body can only allow for so much travel. Usually 12'' or 14'' cylinders are the tallest they can accomidate. Thats due mostly to the short upper trailing arms.

On my car, we replaced the upper trailing arms with a 4-link setup, allowing much more suspension travel without binding up the pinion angle. The lower trailing arms are simply stock reinforced ones. In this pic, the car is running 16'' cylinders and currently locks up even higher, since it now has 18''s in it.

The only other problem you will run into with cylinders that tall, is them not clearing the rear deck. You may need to either run more spring in the rear end, or section out a portion of the deck so the cylinders can protrude through.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,710 Posts
Originally posted by CORE@Oct 2 2003, 03:01 AM
how about this
Ain't no way in hell your gonna get this kinda lift w/ 10" cylinders....unless you do so much mods that you could buy another fleetwood.
They probably have some 18"+ in the rear.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,097 Posts
You actually can get as much lift with short cylinders. But you're talking about a cantilever-type set-up on the trailing arms and some serious modifications i.e instead of protruding out of the trunk, your rear cylinders may have to protrude through beside the backseat itself.
 

·
~RIP BIG MIKE~
Joined
·
39,174 Posts
Originally posted by Joost....+Oct 2 2003, 04:57 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Joost.... @ Oct 2 2003, 04:57 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--CORE@Oct 2 2003, 10:01 AM
how about this
it looks kinda retarded, you need this car has alot of style but like this is kinda stupid looking.......[/b][/quote]
ITS A HOPPER
 

·
~RIP BIG MIKE~
Joined
·
39,174 Posts
Originally posted by Cadillac Bob@Oct 2 2003, 07:17 AM
Its not too hard to do, here is a shot of my Fleetwood:



The factory rear suspension on a caddy or g-body can only allow for so much travel. Usually 12'' or 14'' cylinders are the tallest they can accomidate. Thats due mostly to the short upper trailing arms.

On my car, we replaced the upper trailing arms with a 4-link setup, allowing much more suspension travel without binding up the pinion angle. The lower trailing arms are simply stock reinforced ones. In this pic, the car is running 16'' cylinders and currently locks up even higher, since it now has 18''s in it.

The only other problem you will run into with cylinders that tall, is them not clearing the rear deck. You may need to either run more spring in the rear end, or section out a portion of the deck so the cylinders can protrude through.
yeah that caddy`s ass is nice up there, tight gots pics with the ass locked up with the 18s
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,468 Posts
Originally posted by lowcadi@Oct 2 2003, 03:09 PM
yeah that caddy`s ass is nice up there, tight gots pics with the ass locked up with the 18s
Never took any pics of it since we put the taller cylinders in, have to do that. Based on the looks of that other big body, seems like he has 18''s in the back too, since his lockup looks pretty close to mine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
549 Posts
HERE U GO .......SOME INFO ABOUT A "G" BODY......ITLL LOOK GOOD TRY IT.........EXTEND UR UPPER TRAILING ARMS 2 INCHES (REINFORCE THEM) AND NOTCH OUT THAT LIL PIECE OF FRAME THAT THEY HIT ON........EXTEND UR LOWERS ABOUT 1 INCH AND REINFORCE THEM AS WELL......AND GET SOME 14" CYLINDERS...............
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23,424 Posts
Originally posted by MONTE CARLO SD@Oct 2 2003, 06:17 PM
HERE U GO .......SOME INFO ABOUT A "G" BODY......ITLL LOOK GOOD TRY IT.........EXTEND UR UPPER TRAILING ARMS 2 INCHES (REINFORCE THEM) AND NOTCH OUT THAT LIL PIECE OF FRAME THAT THEY HIT ON........EXTEND UR LOWERS ABOUT 1 INCH AND REINFORCE THEM AS WELL......AND GET SOME 14" CYLINDERS...............
With what you just described this is what it looks like!! ;)


 

·
Registered
Joined
·
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Say i put 18" SO like the blue caddy but can i lift it 1/2 way and it will stay at 1/2 way so i can ride with it 1/2 way???? Or will it only lock at full length and can only ride loicked at full length???? :uh:
 
1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Top