LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how much gallons of kandy is just perfect to coat an 80's g-body and caddy coupe devills,fleetwoods,an broughams.i have no clue and would like to buy some.same for primer how much an how many coats

·
Registered
6,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
if i want a gold base coat and brandywine over that
do you lay down more coats of base coat with the flakes,and then 1 coat of the kolor of your top coat,to get the gold base to come out
abit when the sun or street lights hit it.then add the clear coats.
1 guy told me he layed down 16 coats of clear on his grand national
is to many coats

·
Registered
12,068 Posts
For a caddy for jambs and all it will take about 2 gallons, maybe a little less. Depends on how you do it. But a gbody u could get by with 1 1/2 or less. U need 4-6 coats of kandy on top of your base if u use HOK. And then I put 3 coats of clear. Never put more than 3 coats of clear on at a time. If u want it real slick sand it down after the first 3 and put another 2-3 coats of clear. Sounds like a lot of work but its really not and worth it if u have the time.

·
Registered
12,068 Posts
Originally posted by capriceman75@Jan 7 2004, 02:26 PM
so how paint 1 coat uses up
theres no way to say. it depends on how u mix it, spray technique, spray equipment. Just know u will need 6 coats or it will be blotchy. The amount i said above will be good ;)

·
Registered
6,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally posted by capriceman75@Jan 7 2004, 12:26 PM
so how paint 1 coat uses up
damn i left out the word "much" but thanks.

now if the body is str8 and ready for primer,how many coats of primer should be layed down and how many coats of hok base
would be just about perfect or is that hard to tell.

·
Registered
6,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
is it true the more coats of primer you spray,the more the small minor dings and dents come out.for that smooth brand new panel look.

·
Registered
102 Posts
not to sure if this matters in your case, but if the car is really old it might have a laquer paint on it and should be completly stripped, otherwise you may have a problem with your paint job over top of that.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I sprayed 2 coats of epoxy primer to seal the car then 2 or 3 coats of highbuild primer then blocked it down with guide coat, from there you might want to use some glazing putty to fix minor imperfections, then I put 2 or 3 more coats of primer surfacer on my car which will be blocked with a wet sand then base coats and done deal.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts