LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so how many ppl have bagged rides that they roll through winter, im just debating whether to park my car or just keep rollin my all through the winter. Are there any problems ppl have with leaks and stuff when it gets really cold out ?

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
All my customers drive their cars and trucks in the winter, most of them are daily's. I cant tell them enough how important it is to try to keep the water seperators and tanks as free of water as possible. Water freezing inside valves would be the only problem you should have with your system. Certain types of valves will have a tendency to stick more than others. It has to do with the size and shape of the internal passages, and the amount of moisture that it would take to freeze to disable it Ive had customers complain that the car wont air up, or 2 out of 4 valves wont air up. Ive personaly had a truck at the shop when it was about 10F and sat in the freezing shop all night long. When I started it in the morning I had a fill and dump both freeze open and emptied out the tanks until the truck got hot enough to warm up the valves under the truck. Wasnt too bad, just took about 15 min. Those were ODE valves, same ones UAS sells as BLOWPROOF valves. The other valves I have used are ASCO's and this winter will be the test for their manifold valves.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanx guys, yeah im runnin water traps already and i drain my tank so i aint to worried about them freezing, but have any of u guys experinced any major leaks or anything like that through the winter

·
Registered
9,596 Posts
Originally posted by hearseballa@Oct 15 2006, 05:31 PM~6373429
a lot of people get leaks in the winter from the cold. causes the rubber in the ptc fittings to shrink
get real parkers then :biggrin:

·
Registered
110 Posts
Good water traps, run some airbrake anti-freeze in your tank...

and a cheap 12volt heater with a long ass fuckin cord, just incase your valves are mounted under you can heat them up for a minute and be on your way. trust me on this one...

If they are mounted in a trunk, i have rigged up a cheap 12v heater on a solenoid so I can turn it on from a switch and it was mounted towards my valves to un-freeze them. 20 dollar heater saved my ass a couple times. besides that its all good!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Good topic. I can tell you though, you don't want to be runnin' that stuff up here in Alaska in the winter. :angry: My ride stays locked up until the late spring. Can't wait until I am back in Tejas rollin' all year.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts