LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to the paint store today to get some stock ppg paint for the cutty, it was like $120 per qt.!! That seems like a lot to me, Would I use reducer? And how many quarts would it take to paint the whole ride? Seems like it would be cheaper to get some H.O.K two stage..candy base coat/clear

·
Gone But NEVER Forgotten
15,590 Posts
well now people see why i charge 1500.00 for a basecoat clearcoat. you need a minimum of 3 quarts but if you are doing jambs, underhood, trunk, and engine compartment you will need 4 to 5 quarts. then you need the same in reducers. then clear with hardener and reducer. also dont forget the wetsand paper, buffing pads, compound glaze, and wax.
paint- $480.00
reducer- $32.00
clear if you use good clear. 150.00
activator for clear- $60.00
reducer for clear- $24.00
supplies for rubbing $150.00

cost total = $896.00

·
Registered
6,787 Posts
Originally posted by trudawg@Oct 19 2003, 05:58 PM
I went to the paint store today to get some stock ppg paint for the cutty, it was like $120 per qt.!! That seems like a lot to me, Would I use reducer? And how many quarts would it take to paint the whole ride? Seems like it would be cheaper to get some H.O.K two stage..candy base coat/clear
if is a street car,,,dont go for the "high end" paint brand,,,i never spend any more than $300-350 for base & clear,,,i think omni is the "low end" PPG paint,,,and i get VERY VERY good results with it

remember ,,prep and the painter, are 85% of how the paint job turns out

·
Premium Member
54,754 Posts
Originally posted by trudawg@Oct 19 2003, 09:58 AM
THATS TOO MUCH,,,AND YES OMNI IS GOOD PAINT,ABOUT 120.00 A GALLON,,,,,,

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
Originally posted by RICH+Oct 19 2003, 05:55 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (RICH @ Oct 19 2003, 05:55 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--trudawg@Oct 19 2003, 09:58 AM
THATS TOO MUCH,,,AND YES OMNI IS GOOD PAINT,ABOUT 120.00 A GALLON,,,,,,[/b][/quote]
Yeah, if you use Omni or Nason, you will have around $200 to $300 in materials depending on what all you are spraying. You can get H.O.K candy for $30-40 a quart. Well, actually-

H.O.K candy- $40 a quart
H.O.K catalyst- $40 a quart
H.O.K reducer- $12 a quart

See, you can get candy for way less than an average PPG paint. I don't use regular PPG, but it sounds really overpriced to me. Are you sure that's per quart?

·
Gone But NEVER Forgotten
15,590 Posts
i am a ppg distributor and yes it is way to expensive. depending on the color definately go with a knock off brand. but in omni not all colors are available but if its a basic color they have it. you can buy silver omni for 130 a gallon then 6 quarts of hok candy at 240 reducers and activators for 150 and cheap omni clear for 120 and thats only 640.00 plus rubbing material. so you do the math

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
** That is true . You cant buy all colors in OMNI... Sometimes its in DBU or DBC only....stay away from Fleetline paints-- them are spendy sometimes too but, sometimes they have the color you want....A gallon of HOK orion silver is about $130 , you can get a glamour metallic in a gallon for the same price... You can get the HOK reducer for about $38 a gallon But you can use OMNI reducer [email protected] $20 a gallon( ALMOST ALL of HOK paints are intermixable.) .... You can buy clear as cheap as $70 for a gallon w/ catalyst-- from FINISHMASTER(Montana clear) ...This will all work because they are all Urethane paint systems... But, if your building a show winner -- I would use only the best........That you can afford ...Even then, You should go out & borrow extra $$ to get better........ ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts