LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Face Puncher
Joined
·
25,975 Posts
use 1/4" steel, last price I got was 190 bucks a sheet
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,106 Posts
damn thats cheap.............. We almost live in the damn iron ore mines & we cant get it for that cheap --- Even canadian steel is higher than that ................................................... Whats this world coming to ??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
360 Posts
we pay about $350.00 for a sheet out here on hawaii...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
532 Posts
you know what it is....the damn japanese and chinese are buying up all of it because they are expanding so much so all the metal is being shipped out, thats why its costing so much more....like the next Olympic's are being held in japan i think and they are using so much steel to build those damn (pointless) coliseums that are going to be used for the olympics and the olympics only and then shut and torn down....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
252 Posts
Most of the northwest uses 3/8 plate. u can use flatbar for some of the frame though also. Out here its up to 396.oo per 3/8 sheet . Fuckin outragious. China is building to worlds two tallest towers right now . Thats where most of its going. That was only 190.00 a sheet here last january. Wow.......
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,617 Posts
Originally posted by 85 monte@Dec 26 2004, 01:04 AM
Most of the northwest uses 3/8 plate.
[snapback]2543216[/snapback]​
goddamn!!! :0
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,617 Posts
Originally posted by lone star@Dec 26 2004, 12:33 PM
this is for 4x8 sheets????....are u getting from surplus or what cuz that is outrageous prices...
[snapback]2543788[/snapback]​
prices for 3/16" is $140 in Tulsa...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
252 Posts
Originally posted by LTD RIDIN'@Dec 26 2004, 11:01 AM
goddamn!!! :0
[snapback]2543638[/snapback]​

Our cars also bang though. People use 3/16 cause its so easy to work with, and make it look good, but if it gets up , and i dont mean chippers, that shits gonna bend. Most dont want to go that route though, they just wanna get it reinforced for the cheapest amount of money.
 
G

·
Originally posted by 85 monte@Dec 26 2004, 01:53 PM
Our cars also bang though. People use 3/16 cause its so easy to work with, and make it look good, but if it gets up , and i dont mean chippers, that shits gonna bend. Most dont want to go that route though, they just wanna get it reinforced for the cheapest amount of money.
[snapback]2543836[/snapback]​

im gonna have to beg to differ, your just adding useless weight to your frame, 3/16 is plenty strong, unless your building a dancer, then id use 1/4 and 3/8
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
252 Posts
Originally posted by One Luv@Dec 26 2004, 01:44 PM
im gonna have to beg to differ, your just adding useless weight to your frame, 3/16 is plenty strong, unless your building a dancer, then id use 1/4 and 3/8
[snapback]2543912[/snapback]​

Well we dont build dancers here. Thats kinda like a opening act before the main show. We just dont. With as easy as it is to bend a piece of 3/16, with a 3 lb sledge, your gonna trust your frame to hold up to 2-3 tons or more of force everytime you hop. It may hold up for a while, but eventually its gonna give , same for 3/8 also. Seen them both do it . We just prefer to build them to last longer. If your just gonna drive the street , hit a few cool, but i deal with the other end of that. Those doing it for the most inches..... :biggrin:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
226 Posts
the reason is steal is high is because of monopoly. china is one of the country that sales alot of steal to the US and in the USA the steel company are leaving to china and mexico and other contries because of pollution laws and because of labor $ in other countries it cost about $1 a day for a worker and in the USA $200
so you know why this steel is high. I work on a steel supplier and the steel comes in container and we put a stamp saying made in the USA
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,617 Posts
Originally posted by 85 monte@Dec 26 2004, 02:09 PM
Well we dont build dancers here. Thats kinda like a opening act before the main show. We just dont.  With as easy as it is to bend a piece of 3/16, with a 3 lb sledge, your gonna trust your frame to hold up to 2-3 tons or more of force everytime you hop. It may hold up  for a while, but eventually its gonna give , same for 3/8 also. Seen them both do it . We just prefer to build them to last longer. If your just gonna drive the street , hit a few cool, but i deal with the other end of that. Those doing it for the most inches..... :biggrin:
[snapback]2543950[/snapback]​
I hear ya on the inches it just seems a little overkill...but if ya doin the most more pwer to ya...I don't even like workin with 1/4" plate...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
252 Posts
Theres plenty of pro's and con's of all those thicknesses. I would suggest to plate all 4 sides if your only gonna use 3/16, if you can take it out from under the car. I work with heavy aluminiums and steels everyday , so i guess 3/8 is no real big deal to me. No matter what, its always better than stock.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
203 Posts
Wouldn't a 4'x8' sheet of of steel plate make for a lot of waste? I was just curious if any of you have used or heard of black coil? We use it to make our own channel at work. The biggest channal we make is 2 3/8" x .196 . Just a little thicker than 3/16. Before its rolled into channel its about 6-6 1/2 inches wide and comes coiled up into a big ass spool. Wouldn't something like that be easier to work with and possibly less waste? Its also comes in different sizes to make 1" x, 1 3/8" x, or 1 3/4" x channel. I would think that you could used that 6 1/2" wide shit for the sides of the frame and the shit they use to make 1 3/4" x channel for the top. I'm not sure what the price is, but I do remember somebody at work saying that the company pays like $500 a ton for the black coil. I just think that shit would be easier to work with and you probably wouldn't have to cut as much of it down to size. But thats just my opinoin.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,433 Posts
Originally posted by CaddyDaddy@Dec 27 2004, 10:40 AM
Wouldn't a 4'x8' sheet of of steel plate make for a lot of waste? I was just curious if any of you have used or heard of black coil? We use it to make our own channel at work. The biggest channal we make is 2 3/8" x .196 . Just a little thicker than 3/16. Before its rolled into channel its about 6-6 1/2 inches wide and comes coiled up into a big ass spool. Wouldn't something like that be easier to work with and possibly less waste? Its also comes in different sizes to make 1" x, 1 3/8" x, or 1 3/4" x channel. I would think that you could used that 6 1/2" wide shit for the sides of the frame and the shit they use to make 1 3/4" x channel for the top. I'm not sure what the price is, but I do remember somebody at work saying that the company pays like $500 a ton for the black coil. I just think that shit would be easier to work with and you probably wouldn't have to cut as much of it down to size. But thats just my opinoin.
[snapback]2546121[/snapback]​

any pics of this coil?
 
1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Top