LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many Solenoids Shoul I use in a 4 Pumps - 10 batteries 2 Bays-
72 V for the front and 48 V for the back?

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
The unwritten rule is three solenoids PER PUMP regardless of the number of batteries.

·
Registered
38 Posts
" The unwritten rule is three solenoids PER PUMP regardless of the number of batteries. "

Dare I ask why? I thought it was 1 per 12v.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Actually one solenoid per pump WOULD work. The problem is that since it's very high voltage, there is a chance that the contacts could melt (arc themselves together) on "closing" (when lifting.) It typically doesn't, though, 'cause we don't generally keep them closed for very long. But since the chance is there and there's also the chance that a pump motor could be burned out if left on too long ('cause they're normaly only rated for 12 - 24 volts too), the unwritten rule has ben to install 3 solenoids in series. That way if one, or even 2 of them, fails, the other two (or one) are there as backups.

What this also means is that it's possible for a lot of us that are using 3 solenoids per pump, to be riding around with a bad solenoid (or two) and not ever even know it (if it's stuck closed.)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Ok, I thought it was purely a voltage thing. Didn't realise it was a backup thing. Also as they're 12v sols, If you had 3 (36v), but only 2 batts, I thought that wouldn't be enough to open them all properly. Thanks for clearing that up.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Originally posted by lowmerc@Nov 14 2003, 09:57 AM
" The unwritten rule is three solenoids PER PUMP regardless of the number of batteries. "

All old wives tales. Running 1 or 100 solenoids in series has absolutely nothing to do with the amount of voltage they can handle. Multiple solenoids merely acts as a safety device, ensuring that if one solenoid welds together, there is another one in the series that can open the circuit.

So long as you run a minimim of 2 solenoids per pump, you will be fine. Running 3 per pump, will give you a third "safety". Running more than 3 per pump, is just simply overkill and not neccesary in most normal circumstances.

The brand of noids' you use, is one of the most important factors. Accurate brand solenoids are one of the cheapest priced, and best performing noids' you can buy. Myself I would reccomend you run nothing else. So long as you use good heavy cable and have solid well crimped connections, you should be just fine.

Myself, I use prestolite blocks to the rear (not for long though, redoing the setup and replacing em with accurates) and 2 accurates per pump to the nose @72v. (I gutted a block and used it as a mounting plate for the accurates, so its very easy to swap them out if I ever need to)

Its a nice clean setup and has been performing great for me. The car is a hopper and daily driver in the summer, so it sees lots of action. I used to blow blocks like mad on the front, and since I switched to the accurates I have had no problems.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for clear it up.........

·
Premium Member
5,323 Posts
Originally posted by lowmerc@Nov 14 2003, 07:57 AM

actually, it's one soleniod for every 2 batteries... but it's most common and safe to run 3 solenoids per pump... when you start getting into HIGH voltages, then there are always exceptions...

but for what you want, you should be fine with 3 per pump.

·
Registered
17,780 Posts
Originally posted by BOUNCIN89MERC2LOW97LHS@Nov 14 2003, 06:18 AM
The unwritten rule is three solenoids PER PUMP regardless of the number of batteries.
;)

·
Registered
13,648 Posts
Originally posted by Cadillac Bob@Nov 14 2003, 11:42 AM
Running 1 or 100 solenoids in series has absolutely nothing to do with the amount of voltage they can handle. Multiple solenoids merely acts as a safety device, ensuring that if one solenoid welds together, there is another one in the series that can open the circuit.

So long as you run a minimim of 2 solenoids per pump, you will be fine. Running 3 per pump, will give you a third "safety". Running more than 3 per pump, is just simply overkill and not neccesary in most normal circumstances.

AMEN, FINALLY SOMEONE WITH A GOOD POST ABOUT SOLENOID USE.

AND IF YOU WIRE THEM LIKE HYDROTA DOES, YOU ARE EVEN BETTER OFF.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Originally posted by air280+Nov 15 2003, 05:45 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (air280 @ Nov 15 2003, 05:45 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--ogcaddy@Nov 15 2003, 09:40 AM

thats using one to trigger the bank of three?[/b][/quote]
No, the three are wired in a series, and you "trigger" all 3 at the same time.

·
Registered
20,447 Posts
Originally posted by Cadillac Bob@Nov 14 2003, 08:42 AM

Its a nice clean setup and has been performing great for me. The car is a hopper and daily driver in the summer, so it sees lots of action. I used to blow blocks like mad on the front, and since I switched to the accurates I have had no problems.
solenoid blocks are CRAP! so are them rebuildable monster solenoids (the work good at first, but when they burn, theyre garbage!)

·
Registered
13,648 Posts
Originally posted by air280+Nov 15 2003, 05:45 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (air280 @ Nov 15 2003, 05:45 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--ogcaddy@Nov 15 2003, 09:40 AM

thats using one to trigger the bank of three?[/b][/quote]
Yes, he has one that triggers three. That acts as a circuit breaker between the switch and the solenoids. Its a very damn good idea on a hopper especially because the 3 solenoids that power the pump are going to burn out no matter what kind you use, but with the extra soleniod wired in between the switch and the pump solenoids there always a cut off point when you let off the switch.

·
I love hearing "PAPA"
5,779 Posts
I use four, in series and parallel, 2 and 2

Maybe I've been just lucky, or was I unlucky with three?

Three always sucked for me, until I spread the out load. I only stuck once with real dead batteries using the four. Using three was always a problem.

I have never seen anyone wire them up the way I do, yet it's the only way I will ever wire them.

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
Originally posted by Hydros@Nov 17 2003, 04:22 AM
I use four, in series and parallel, 2 and 2

Maybe I've been just lucky, or was I unlucky with three?

Three always sucked for me, until I spread the out load. I only stuck once with real dead batteries using the four. Using three was always a problem.

I have never seen anyone wire them up the way I do, yet it's the only way I will ever wire them.
I do it with 3 and 3.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts