LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
4,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've always have like the 80- 87Coup De Ville(I guess that's the years I'mtalking about), but I always worried keeping one together. Well I'm seeing them almost to cheap to resist anymore. What are the major problems with these Caddy's, because I think I'm gonna buy the next I run up on that selling cheap.
Are engine swaps/tranny anything major? What else will fit in there in case the motor went bad? What about the transmissions? Do they generally hold up?

Thanks in advance......aight peace.

·
Registered
117 Posts
one thing i learned AFTER i got rid of my clean 85 biaritz eldo is,you can replace the 4100 with the later 4900 engine and most of the headaches are done.all you have to do is a get a custom ecm chip burned and fatten the fuel pressure up a bit.The 4100's were CRAP,but the cars they were in,are sooooooooooo slick.

·
Registered
343 Posts
doesnt really realte to your question cause this is a from a different year and model but my buddys 69 Deville is the most expensive car i have ever seen for parts, and nobody makes parts for it. i had to phone 11 different parts stores in town before i finally found a fuel pump for the 472cid, and then it cost $162 to purchase it :uh:

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Originally posted by BUTTAFINGUZ@Nov 21 2003, 09:00 AM
I've always have like the 80- 87Coup De Ville(I guess that's the years I'mtalking about), but I always worried keeping one together. Well I'm seeing them almost to cheap to resist anymore. What are the major problems with these Caddy's, because I think I'm gonna buy the next I run up on that selling cheap.
Are engine swaps/tranny anything major? What else will fit in there in case the motor went bad? What about the transmissions? Do they generally hold up?

Thanks in advance......aight peace.
the 4100 is a bull shit motor my buddy has one in his 2 dorr and it runs erfect i guess he got the only good one evere made you just need to stay on to them and workin on them anit hard at all

the main problem with the 4100 is over heating you can swap it out for a 305 or 350 no problem and use any gm tranny you like

85 was the last year of the 2 door also

i hoe you can get the car there really nice you will enjoy it i have a buddy selling one with a 90 kit already on it 14's its black on black no juice runs perfect a/c blows cold he wants 3000 for it

·
Registered
65 Posts
they are right the ht4100 is wack. its cuz it is an all-aluminum block. thats why there is so many problems with it. you can buy special tablets from the caddy dealer to put in there to prevent it from gettin all beat, but the engine was a mistake in general.

·
SPELL CHECK
21,743 Posts
Originally posted by SHAGON WAGON@Nov 25 2003, 09:13 AM
one thing i learned AFTER i got rid of my clean 85 biaritz eldo is,you can replace the 4100 with the later 4900 engine and most of the headaches are done.all you have to do is a get a custom ecm chip burned and fatten the fuel pressure up a bit.The 4100's were CRAP,but the cars they were in,are sooooooooooo slick.
But the 4100 (and 4900) for the Eldo is the FWD configuration, and he's interested in a RWD DeVille. I don't remember a RWD 4900 from Cadillac, unless I'm mistaken. My recommendation is to stay away from the 4100 cars all together, but the fact of the matter is they are plentiful and cheap. If you're up to it, you can always do a motor and tranny swap, but it's not just a bolt-in change. It'll take some time. The Cadillacs that came with small blocks were fine, many of the parts are common and interchangeable (standard GM), and you can swap in a nasty engine/tranny combo with little effort.

Good luck!
Jeff

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
I had some trouble with my 4100 eating alternators, and it ticked, the funny thing is the 368 cubic inch motor that was in the 80-81 coupes only had 150 horses stock...

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Originally posted by cadillac_rollin@Nov 26 2003, 06:46 PM
i have no prob with minez. i gotta 80 with a chevy 350. i had to do the swap cause caddy engines just wont hold up. good luck
i got 350 sb in my coupe to :cheesy: :cheesy:

·
SPELL CHECK
21,743 Posts
Originally posted by cadillac_rollin@Nov 26 2003, 06:46 PM
caddy engines just wont hold up
Actually, most older Caddy engines will just about last forever, and show dramatically less wear over time when compared to the similar engines offered by the other GM lines due to the increased concentration of nickel in the Cadillac engines. It's just the 4100 that was a piece of crap. The other Chevy and Buick-based motors that they offered in the 80s and 90s were good. The Northstars are good engines too, but because they crammed a V8 sideways into those FWD it's a PITA when anything does go wrong. It will be interesting to see how nice the Generation II RWD Northstar V8s behave.

Cheers,
Jeff

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
i have read up on 4100's, their problem in the way the piston sleeves seal at the bottom, if a 4100 has the antifreeze changed every year they will last forever, i have proof cuz mine was maintained to the dot and it runs like new

the worst engine to get is a 4100 that has been neglected, if it has, it is shit

go to www.cadillacforums.com and ask around

·
Registered
14,758 Posts
If you don't race anyone, the 4100 isn't a bad engine... Get a 4 core radiator, use good gas, and regular maintenance and you shouldn't have any problems. The big problem with the 4100 is overheating. Just make sure it's not losing coolant and they're fine! It takes less than 30 seconds (overheating) to completely DESTROY a 4100.
There is a company (back east) that bores 4.1s out to 4.3, cams it, and does a better job spacing the heads... Supposed to improve performance and reliability. If mine gives up, I'll probably go that route.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Originally posted by undr8ed@Apr 3 2004, 10:45 AM
If you don't race anyone, the 4100 isn't a bad engine... Get a 4 core radiator, use good gas, and regular maintenance and you shouldn't have any problems. The big problem with the 4100 is overheating. Just make sure it's not losing coolant and they're fine! It takes less than 30 seconds (overheating) to completely DESTROY a 4100.
There is a company (back east) that bores 4.1s out to 4.3, cams it, and does a better job spacing the heads... Supposed to improve performance and reliability. If mine gives up, I'll probably go that route.
now that overheating 30 secs is bs i drove it home from college 20 miles without a water pump, it had locked up and thrown the serpentine belt off, but yes i could have killed it, its still fine

·
Registered
14,758 Posts
now that overheating 30 secs is bs i drove it home from college 20 miles without a water pump, it had locked up and thrown the serpentine belt off, but yes i could have killed it, its still fine

I've seen them warp heads, milkshake the head gaskets, and even crack the block from just a LITTLE heat! You got LUCKY... The only problem I've had with mine is having to replace the intake manifold gasket (from my understanding, they go every 60,000 or so.) Put a lower thermostat and the above stuff and CRUISE LOW!!!

·
Registered
498 Posts
I had an 84 with the 4100 ht and it sucked and those engines all together running good are still dogs they have no power and it would be best to do an engine swap I swapped mine for a 350 and it bolted right in, so I dunno about the others in here but I had no problem with the swap it was a weekend warrior thing in and out!!!but I chopped the fuel inj for carburated trash all the nonsense shit!!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts