LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
Originally posted by lowlover@Sep 12 2010, 09:00 PM~18551951
Anyone out there have any tips on how to build a lowrider on a budget from the ground up.
theres no way shits not cheap if you want it done right

·
CitySlicker
2,441 Posts
Wrong sport to be in if ur on a budget like homie said shit ain't cheap!

·
DOING IT MY WAY
7,898 Posts
you could pull off a clean street on 3g's if you know how to stretch a dollar and do most of the work your self. used setup used wheels. buy some paint supplies from an abandoned project. use an up in coming pinstriper. interrior is going to be a toughy. best bet there is to clean the stock interrior or do it your self.

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
seems like alot of people have alot of money to burn or have come up in families where everyother uncle or cousin can paint or some shit.

if you're like me and have a vision, but limited funds/skills, you need to think realistically.

find something relatively clean and work on what needs to be done first and don't expect to be done overnight.
alot of things can be learned as you go along or what im realizing is that when you do have to shell out some cash you can do some of the prep work yourself and save alot of money if you have the time and patience.
body work is a good example of this and so is polishing.

the good thing that im finding out too is that because of the hands on DIY nature of this hobby, there's always an up and comer working out of his garage, trying to build a rep for himself who's willing to work cheap for the experience and exposure.

·
Registered
9,605 Posts
it CAN be done.. dont let people talk you outta it..

itll have to be a cheaper car like a gbody or somethin, but it can be done... like homie said get some used chinas for a couple hundred bucks with tires, used pumps and all but get new cylinders and electrical, do it yourself, dont expect to come out 3 wheeling do lay and play f/b only for now.. do your own body mods and find a homie that knows how to spray to help you spray the car down..

key to me if youre on a budget is to find a car with real clean paint or real clean interior, then one of your more expensive things is done... striping can be added to stock paint to make it a lil more classy, and a clean stock interior never looks bad with a couple accesories..

or even better if you can (atleast in my eyes), find a clean ass car thats got a blown motor or tranny or somethin, and fix that shit yourself.. easy fix most people dont wanna fuck with, swap in junkyard engine parts

like i said. it CAN be done.. seriously.. it CAN

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Originally posted by touchdowntodd@Sep 14 2010, 07:42 AM~18562701
it CAN be done.. dont let people talk you outta it..

itll have to be a cheaper car like a gbody or somethin, but it can be done... like homie said get some used chinas for a couple hundred bucks with tires, used pumps and all but get new cylinders and electrical, do it yourself, dont expect to come out 3 wheeling do lay and play f/b only for now.. do your own body mods and find a homie that knows how to spray to help you spray the car down..

key to me if youre on a budget is to find a car with real clean paint or real clean interior, then one of your more expensive things is done... striping can be added to stock paint to make it a lil more classy, and a clean stock interior never looks bad with a couple accesories..

or even better if you can (atleast in my eyes), find a clean ass car thats got a blown motor or tranny or somethin, and fix that shit yourself.. easy fix most people dont wanna fuck with, swap in junkyard engine parts

like i said. it CAN be done.. seriously.. it CAN
JUNK YARDS HAVE A LOT OF GOOD STUFF - I FOUND SOME RED'S PUMPS ONE TIME THEY WANTED $50 BUCKS FOR THEM! ;)

·
Registered
996 Posts
Originally posted by HECHO EN MEXICO@Sep 14 2010, 06:05 AM~18562764
JUNK YARDS HAVE A LOT OF GOOD STUFF - I FOUND SOME RED'S PUMPS ONE TIME THEY WANTED $50 BUCKS FOR THEM! ;)
Yep i found so 72 spoke daytons 4 my caddy at a junkyard n paid $200 4 them!

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Touchdowntodd is correct it CAN be done.. don't let people talk you outta it..

1. Creating a game plan,and understanding the limits of your budget based on completion times. I.e $6000.00
2. There a lot of cars that are real affordable and can be found in great condition such as mid to late 70's and 80's cars. Saving a little more to find a grandma or garage kept car would put you in a better starting point financially. I.e A one owner garage kept an 1979 cadillac coupe deville - $4000 criagslist
3. A shit load of six packs and a lot of good ol elbow grease. Do a lot of research and ask lots of questions. Know the ends in outs of your car. I.e $100.00 Budwiesr
4. Like they said a good resource is the junk yard i.e $cheaper the new
5. Keep it clean. If chrome is not in your budget. Other options include powder coating or paint.
6. If u cant afford to lift it ride. ride low.
7. China's and 13's are still the cheapest package. I.e $400.00OGRIMSDIRECT
8. A good head unit and a couple of 6x9's in the rear deck I.e $400

·
Mr. Paid
5,602 Posts
I built this for $2200 including the car, candy paint, 6 batteries 2 pump setup, euroclip, sunroof and rims. Lowriding is probably the cheapest type of car customizing out there.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Look around you can find some really nice and cheap stuff ive foud me new ko's $50 brand new chinas never mounted $75 all 4 tires whit 95% tread for $80 and all kinds of hydro stuff at the junk yard. Attention to detail is the key

·
Registered
29 Posts
This is a pretty good thread. Nothing's cheap, no hobby is. But as they said above, knowing/getting to know people is always a plus, DIY also. I'm not into the scene just yet but I've been following layout low threads for awhile now. I'll be in my low rider game soon and reading these replies are great pointers.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts