LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I do a lot of side jobs and I had the hardest time to figure out what to charge. So, I started to look up in the labor guides and came up with an arbitrary hourly rate. Seems to work ok except that some jobs go over hours of course. (8hrs for a FWD wbody tranny swap, 10hrs for head gaskets, etc)

But how do you guys come up with what to charge for paint/body work? Most people I've talked to want some kind of close guess and I don't want to underbid and regret even wasting my time. I obviously don't want to charge as much as shops either...

So, typical G body style car how much do you charge?

1-Regular base coat clear coat with primer/sealer and minimal if any body work? Also including wetsanding/buffing afterward.
2-Primer only and minimal body work? (yeah I wouldn't personally do it to one of my rides but this one guy I know just wants it primered lol)
3-Spray base/clear only? I got one guy that wants to do all body work himself and I just do the spraying. He wants to do all the wetsanding buffing himself also to save labor. This is on a VW Jetta.

What about major body work? Example, I've got a 2003 chevy full size van at my house that needs the entire doghouse swapped (hood, fenders, grille, bumper) and respray.

What about major rust repair?

Just seeing what you guys do to get ideas :cool:

·
Registered
10,888 Posts
i pretty much gave up quotes..............to make it easier for me i tell them to go get 2 estimates from bodyshops and then i tell them i will beat there lowest one

usually by $100 and you would be surprised at the cheapos who wanna save $100 :biggrin:

·
HOME BREWED, NO HELP
15,756 Posts
Originally posted by SWITCHCRAFT@Aug 20 2006, 08:45 AM~6004437
i pretty much gave up quotes..............to make it easier for me i tell them to go get 2 estimates from bodyshops and then i tell them i will beat there lowest one

usually by $100    and you would be surprised at the cheapos who wanna save $100 :biggrin:
same thing i do...

·
Registered
8,414 Posts
the auto-collision repair industry has it figured just like anything else. most body shops dont follow it though.

its crap like sanding and priming this fender should take 1 hour. the labor rate for sanding a fender is $20 per hour.Esitmated supply usage 5 dolars. therefor, wether it takes your 3 hours and 10 minutes to sand and prime the fender, you charge 25 dollars for that work.

its all bull, most shops just charge flat labor rates (32 dollars an hour for example) and just charge you how long it really took them to get it done (I'm sure they round up)

·
Premium Member
11,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah but most guys on the street just want a number thrown at them so they know how much to save up.

Obviously it would depend greatly on how much body work needs done, what kind of paint, etc....

But in an attempt to make everything equal, what do you charge JUST TO SPRAY. Say they come to you with a GOOD prep, primered, good paint, clear etc. All you do is tape and spray base coat and clear coat. What would YOU charge?

·
Banned
10,571 Posts
Originally posted by sic713@Oct 2 2006, 01:45 PM~6289028
lately for cars.. since im still a young buck and a beginner.. i been tellin foos 500 for labor.. and they buy the material.. i always add a little extra pocket money in that too.. and i keep whats left over..
Backyard guys like you kill the legit shops,quote it like you'd do if you had to make a living doing it.It's a different ballgame when you have another hustle to pay the bills,besides side jobs.

·
da painter
24,179 Posts
Originally posted by lowdeville@Oct 2 2006, 03:43 PM~6290500
Backyard guys like you kill the legit shops,quote it like you'd do if you had to make a living doing it.It's a different ballgame when you have another hustle to pay the bills,besides side jobs.
yeah i know that.. but right now thats whut i have to do until i get the cars under my belt.. after that... ill be steping up the prices...and this is what i do for a living.. i dont have a full time job...

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
Originally posted by lowdeville@Oct 2 2006, 03:43 PM~6290500
i dont know about that . i am pretty sure they make the majority of there money by insurance work. alot of backyard painters around here probably dont paint more than 10 cars a year and they it is the high #

·
Registered
5,046 Posts
i like to get the custy to get a couple of quotes from bodyshops then i can usually beat it by 15%, on smaller jobs like bumper covers, not as much. If your JUST spraying, the minimum i would charge is 500(complete car solid color), your health is not worth less than that especially if you aint hooked up to fresh air yet, think about it, also remember, you'll never lose money on a job you DONT do!

For anybody hatin on backyarders, fuck off, where I'm from the BEST paint jobs come from the backyard, bodyshops here dont even offer custom graphics or wetsanding or buffin, someone wants show shit, they come to ME!
Bodyshops make there money on insurance claims.PERIOD, oh and when they find suckers to pay way to much!

This backyarder is goin to be runnin the real deal shop soon enough however!! :biggrin: :biggrin:

·
Premium Member
11,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My problem is that I quote way too cheap on everything I do. I guess I feel like I need to "help out" the person or something.

$200 labor for a clutch on a 96 cobra, $40 front brake jobs (that one's not too low but damn I need to charge $40 if I waste my time even going outside lol), $50 for struts (front or rear) etc....

I told this guy $500 for primer and minimal body work....kinda low I know but I figure I'll charge a bit more when it comes time to shoot it. I'll profit $1000 on this suspension install so that should make up for it.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I never charge enough, period.
But it's a hobby, I do it for fun.
If you have to charge more to make a living, fine.
I wouldn't get the work if I charged more. I don't do all over paint jobs.
All my work is small damage repairs that a body shop will never see.
My customers won't pay to have these type repairs fixed professionally.
I'm helping out friends and family, if you don't like it, tough!

My usual ball park figure is $200.00 a panel with slight damage.
Some panels or bumpers I do for as little as $150.00, depending on color.
If there are more than one panel I can discount it some.
Even though I give quotes all the time cheaper than that, most people
still don't have it done. People just don't fix their cars anymore, unless
it's a bigger damage that insurance covers. All my work is less than
their deductable. That's why I get it, any more than that, I don't. :cool:

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
personally i have done custom for about 8-10 years half of the time i tell them get me ALL the material and i would charge so much if i have some material from the previous person i would sell it to them. i give guarrantee on all my work but if they do work some where else there goes the guarrantee becuase like the guy who just wanted painted i can not guarrantee that the car is staight or that thepaint will stick good making sure they scuffed it correctly. i always let them know there are 3 ways of me doing things #1 TJ, #2 economical, #3 the right way. let them make up their mind and i push them to do what is best for them and their budget becuase remember they are the customer at times i write them a receipt when i do not give a guarantee. see remember some thing you have tell people what they want to hear a guarantee is how good your work is. exsample if you fix a car and you do all the body work and prep it and paint it and color sand it it comes out like a shop did it when will the paint peal, when will the work come apart if you aren't earl sheib or one day paint you don't have to worry about this.
in regards how much to charge never base it on hour rate or shop or this or that if you are doing thisd on the side and don't have long doing it the main objective here is practice and error and experience with time you charge YOUR WORK not the industry. if you go to body shop they charge their rates not the industries remember that
oh and by the way never advertise because thats when you get the assholes. and yeah WORD OF MOUTH is THE BEST BUSSINES

i only do word of mouth and on my spare time , be surprised i always have people waiting for me to do their work

i specialize in lead, fiberglass, custom, metal fabrication, fiberglass kits, upholstry and sound system set-ups..

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
oh i forgot i tell them to buy the material for one reason only for them to see parts are more than labor but i make then buy everything from paper to clear after they trust you they won't even bother getting the material and that is when you got a costumer for life. i also explain the differnce between earl sheib and high end body shop.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts