LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
alot of the time it gets nickel coated then chromed over.
thay method is more expensive but is the best. and has the best quality to it. you pretty much end up with a metal part formed around a plastic mold if you think about it. ;)

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by jevries@Aug 8 2003, 01:31 AM
You can buy this pretty cheap setup to nickle plate your plastic parts. Nickle has a warmer tint than chrome which has more blue.
The setup with supply costs around $65.
You have to spray your parts with electro guided paint, plate copper after that you can nickle finish the part. ;)
where can u get one of these kits or whatever??? I think It'd be pimp to chrome out a 67 Imp as much as i can....like the ones u seen in Lowrider mag. :cool:

·
Registered
407 Posts
Don't do it yourself. the real method was already partially explained, they actually spray a metallic 'primer', then copper plate it, then nickel plate that, and finally chrome it. REAL triple plate! i have done it, no problems. to a small degree the plastic item can 'flex' and no chipping or cracking will occur. a plastic fan shroud for a GM engine will run you about $350-$400, my advice: save up if you don't have the cash and DO IT RIGHT. no at-home-do-it-yourself kit.
try www.paulschrome.com
they are in pennsylvania, if you must use someone closer to you ask paul's for a referral. but that's why u.p.s. was invented, so you can ship your part(s) out and back. paul's gives free estimates, too.
and no, i don't work there. i do recommend them, however. if anyone needs more help in this matter, just e-mail me. i'm here to help.

·
Registered
407 Posts
i only gave the fan shroud example so you guys can see how large an item you can chrome for the money. obviously a smaller or less intricate piece would be less, and a larger one slightly more.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts