LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i got the pull apart disconnect in the trunk... im always worried if it sticks when i driving how will i get back there in time b4 the setup is a blob of melted rubber and shit... neways can i simply have a 6 foot ground go into the car.. like by the center contol, and connect there and loop all the way back to the battery? or is that too long???? or can i have the neg cable go to the center console and be plugged into the nut thats welded to some steel < lil custom mounted disconnect>?

·
Registered
819 Posts
What kind of car do you have? How many volts are your running.

I ran my ground through my back seat on a jumper cable type and clamped it onto my e-brake. Never had a problem with it. At that time, I was running 48 volts.

My new set up with consist of a switch but it's only going to be 36 volts. The switch will be in my center console. I don't anticipate any problems with it.

Just my .02

Later
TC

·
Registered
10,888 Posts
i have a long ground going into my car.......even bolted to my seat alot of people on here say it isn't safe........but it has saved my motors before while driving..........

i am running 2 gauge wire and my ride is setup for street...hope this helps..........

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
I run a 1/0 cable from my battery up to the console where my disconnect is mounted, and from the console 1/0 back to the rack. Works just fine for me and came in very handy on more than one occasion. Only had to pull over one time to yank a trunk disconnect because of a welded solenoid, and told myself there was no way I was doing that shit again.... I will never own a juiced car without a disconnect up front.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Originally posted by SWITCHCRAFT@Nov 24 2003, 03:35 PM
i have a long ground going into my car.......even bolted to my seat alot of people on here say it isn't safe........but it has saved my motors before while driving..........

i am running 2 gauge wire and my ride is setup for street...hope this helps..........
WHY ISN'T IT SAFE?

·
Registered
4,908 Posts
There is usually a nice sized spark that comes from the disconnect when you pull it. You run the chance of catching your interior on fire.

·
Registered
10,888 Posts
i never get sparks??........and i am running ALOT of volts..........the only problem i have really is when i hop (not often) but when i do the wire gets a little warm..............not hot just warm....but if i ran 0 gauge like cadillac bob suggested it would fix the problem...so yeah i say go for it

·
Registered
4,908 Posts
I think the main disconnects that spark when you pull them are the ones that are used for forklift batts. and things like that. Mine never really sparked either and I have always used the type that you push together and twist.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts