LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i hope this picture works..
i'm not too sure how to take this off, the timing chain cover is loose, i've taken all those small bolts out, but it wont come off if this pulley doesn't come out?
thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
14,848 Posts
youll need to take the center bolt out, looks like you did, and get yourself a puller.make sure you put a bolt or dowel in the hole so it dont mess the threads up. unless its a 327, it dont have a center bolt in the crankshaft. you will need to drop the oil pan also to remove the timing cover.and when you reinstall it, make sure you use the thicker rubber gasket in the front.check harbor freight or some where for a puler,or your local parts store may rent you one

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it's a 283, i didn't take any center bolt out..
i'll try with a puller, but if it doesn't work.. Is the pan at the bottom of the block?? i'm not sure with this stuff at all??
thanks man

·
Registered
16,520 Posts
Originally posted by pink63impala@Aug 21 2005, 08:28 AM~3664868
youll need to take the center bolt out, looks like you did, and get yourself a puller.make sure you put a bolt or dowel in the hole so it dont mess the threads up. unless its a 327, it dont have a center bolt in the crankshaft. you will need to drop the oil pan also to remove the timing cover.and when  you reinstall it, make sure you use the thicker rubber gasket in the front.check harbor freight or some where for a puler,or your local parts store may rent you one
:thumbsup:

·
Registered
106 Posts
from the pic, it looks like the moter is still in the car, u better hope that puller works cus youll have to pull that moter up to get the pan off, puller are to work for ya though

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I tried again today to get it off... its wack, on real tight.
I'm sure there is no center bolt.
As for taking the pan out, i don't even know where to start, does the block have to come off the frame?
And if I get the pan off, how will it help take this off?

·
Registered
15,195 Posts
Originally posted by pink63impala@Aug 23 2005, 10:41 AM~3674963
it would be easier to take the whole motor out,you will never be able to clean the pan and pan rails up to et the oil pan to seal up again,and it looks like you just ought to rebuilt the engine anyways ;)
you dont pull a motor to change the spark plugs :nono:

·
Registered
15,195 Posts
Originally posted by SolidGoldCaddy@Aug 23 2005, 09:47 PM~3678476
actually in the older vettes you have to...
nah, you just take the heads off :biggrin:

and i thought in those you just had to jack it up?

·
Registered
9,656 Posts
been a long time since i had a 283 ...

but is that damper/balancer missing something?

·
Registered
106 Posts
if that dont have a bolt in it the puller will pull it off. sock it in wd 40 and the put the puller on and do it with impack, mine was a bitch to

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
the only type puller i have is a steering wheel puller and dent puller..
otherwise i don't know of another puller, maybe its cause im down in australia haha
ill WD40 it..

·
Premium Member
11,540 Posts
Originally posted by mounch@Aug 29 2005, 03:03 AM~3711310
the only type puller i have is a steering wheel puller and dent puller..
otherwise i don't know of another puller, maybe its cause im down in australia haha
ill WD40 it..
You NEED a "harmonic balancer puller"

end of discussion

1 - 18 of 18 Posts