LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm from the oldskool way of thinking... (a ride should be juiced not bagged) :biggrin: so I never learnt a lot about airbags...

I have ofcourse got a general idea of how they operate, I was just wondering what you guys do to get hopps from a ride with bags ?

·
Registered
60 Posts
ohh you asked what to do, I thought you asked if you could. you would go with a setup where all the valves, ports, lines,bags are all atleast an inch, run high psi, and make it light

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, I knew you could :biggrin: So is it basically pumping air into and out of the bag makes the ride go up and down and also does the springing action for hopping all in one ?

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I never said that I wasn't gunna get hydroz, I was just curious about how they make a ride hopp on air.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Don't believe it, then watch the entire clip here

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ahahah

What's the world record front hopp with bags ?

Why do people choose bags over hydraulics ?

·
Registered
9,596 Posts
well. i guess ill say somethings.

i was going to put hydraulics in the regal. but soon changed my mined because i didnt want the weight to beginne with in my daily ( i would have to have at least 8batteries) then there was... something diffrent, there where very few bagged g-bodys when i did mine, 3 i knew of across the US, they where not the only ones. but the only ones i could find.

i never had a electic compressor, it was an engine drive right from the get go for me. i decided i wasnt going to half ass it, i didnt want the long as wait, low pressure and load compressor problem. then i always had 12 gallons or more. but no more than 14 gallons. so i had decent fill and play. then there was that Psst people always talk about, i used about a foot of line off each dump with 90 degree bends and mufflers, made if VERY quit. so from there i was set.

i started with 1/2 lines all the way around. after a lil over 200psi it stop gaining inches off the hop, so i tried duel 5/8, i never had the pressure or volume to make that happen, so i dropped down to single 5/8 which at around 250psi range it topped out. and thats what i was left with, it blew peoples mind and is still around doing the damn thang :cool:

Attachments

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sup Mark, nice to see some meaningful input into this convo.

As an O.G. hydraulics-mad, "keep it ol skool pimpin all the way"-minded person, I must say that I couldn't really care less about weight, hell the heavier the ride is the better :biggrin: (just so long as the ride's tight, low and hopps)

I can understand you wanting to do something different, I'm in Australia and just having a lowrider (hydroz, air or even just dayumn lowered) is considered something different here, it's really very rare.

Good to hear that you have an engine driven compressor. The battery powered pumps are a huge flaw in hydraulic set-ups - it's simply not practical to have a trunk full of batteries running the motors on the gear pumps. Citroen have been selling cars with hydraulic suspension and engine driven pumps since before "lowrider hydraulics" existed - I just havn't figured out a good way of using such a set up to do all the fun lowrider things the way people wanna do them (so guess we're all stuck with a trunk full of batteries for now :uh: )

As for a "Psst" - why did you want your air set-up "VERY quit" ? Personally, I like the clicking, squeeling etc of hydraulics, it's all part of the fun :biggrin:

Now, back to the real topic - how do you make your ride hopp with bags ? Is it simply filling and emptying the bags with the right pressure, timing, etc, or what ? (please correct me if filling and emptying is not the correct term, I'm not used to bag lingo :happysad: )

·
Registered
9,596 Posts
i have not really seen a vehicle with an engine drive pump, i have seen a Lexus with a hydraulic pump for its suspision.

as for the sound, its a bad sound, just plain as that. some guys like to "scare" people with it. my deal is, if you didnt take note, i wont let you know im about to tear it up. and you can really hear a pump being triggerd from a block away. so ...yeah.

IMO, the way to hop is about correct pressure, bag size and timing.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Originally posted by Mark@Sep 4 2005, 03:18 PM~3748198
....as for the sound, its a bad sound, just plain as that. some guys like to "scare" people with it....
Hell yeah "hop *****, hop *****, when you see the rule comin clear the block *****, hop *****, hop *****, when you see the chrome run" :cool: lol

·
Registered
9,596 Posts
Originally posted by X-Sonic@Sep 3 2005, 11:57 PM~3748358
Hell yeah "hop *****, hop *****, when you see the rule comin clear the block *****, hop *****, hop *****, when you see the chrome run"  :cool:  lol
bad as it, it sounds like crap :cheesy:

·
Registered
434 Posts
to make a car hop on bags you need to run nitrogen tanks and high psi 250-300 the nitrogen is compressed so that you dont wait on fill time check daddys customs they have a toyota truck that fops like 5 feet in the air. air vs hydraulics its all the same they get to be a pain in the ass no matter what you run

·
Registered
9,596 Posts
Originally posted by destinyrider@Sep 6 2005, 10:02 AM~3761490
to make a car hop on bags you need to run nitrogen tanks and high psi 250-300 the nitrogen is compressed so that you dont wait on fill time check daddys customs they have a toyota truck that fops like 5 feet in the air. air vs hydraulics its all the same they get to be a pain in the ass no matter what you run
you dont have to run nitrogen,

1 - 15 of 15 Posts