LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do I remove and install the chrome frame on my 64 impala door window ? I have the tar roll that is used to mount the fame on the glass ,but I don't know how to use it. I heard to wet the tar strip with motor oil and set the frame on the glass and let it swell up to hold the glass snug . Anyone know ..

·
Registered
47,194 Posts
You can either lay the tar on the frame and press the glass in the frame or lay the tar on the glass and press the frame down. Use a razor to trim the extra after you are done. Its not really that hard and u can redo if you mess up.

·
California Love
6,972 Posts
You can either lay the tar on the frame and press the glass in the frame or lay the tar on the glass and press the frame down. Use a razor to trim the extra after you are done. Its not really that hard and u can redo if you mess up.
I agree with the ladder. Place the window set (tar paper) on the glass and work into frame. There are different thicknesses of window set, it should fit snug but not be impossible to push in. And also the opposite, the glass shouldn't wiggle in the frame.

·
URK BOOGIE
340 Posts
Yall got step by step pics of the process. I bought some rubbers that suppose to be for the frames but i fucked the bottom one up last night. What tar are yall talking bout?

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
all true for installing and putting back together. To chrome was better than buying the after market chrome frame. you were better off buying the window channel where the window sits. And yes cut the remainder off with a blade

·
Registered
47,194 Posts
Tar paper and window felt are 2 different things. Tar paper is what u put in between the glass and the chrome frame. Its a sort of cushion for the glass so u dont have glass rattling against metal window frame. Its rubbery sort of sticky roll of tape. Window felt is what goes in the channel its like a felt carpet type of insert usually already pre fit. The process is not hard at all. Just a little patients, a screw driver and a razor blade, some windex and you are done. I did all new felts tar and sweeps on my 62 and it took 2 evenings total.

·
California Love
6,972 Posts
Tar paper and window felt are 2 different things. Tar paper is what u put in between the glass and the chrome frame. Its a sort of cushion for the glass so u dont have glass rattling against metal window frame. Its rubbery sort of sticky roll of tape. Window felt is what goes in the channel its like a felt carpet type of insert usually already pre fit. The process is not hard at all. Just a little patients, a screw driver and a razor blade, some windex and you are done. I did all new felts tar and sweeps on my 62 and it took 2 evenings total.
You are correct. Sorry just did a '52 and those windows use more like a cloth fabric than tar/rubber paper, that's what I meant by felt paper. But you are correct, "window felt" goes into the vertical sliding channels.

·
~DANCE UNDER WATER~
2,417 Posts
Does anyone sell the repop frames for the top and side of 64' windows, passenger and driver?

·
Registered
2 Posts
You are correct. Sorry just did a '52 and those windows use more like a cloth fabric than tar/rubber paper, that's what I meant by felt paper. But you are correct, "window felt" goes into the vertical sliding channels.
Does anyone know where I can buy the "tar paper"?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts