LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my harmonic balancer slipped off while cruising down the blvd last weekend. Luckily the balancer,pulleys and belts got jumbled up by the fan and didnt get lost. Im going to start the repair this weekend, but need to know how to install the Harmonic Balancer. Does it require the HB installation tool or can i just bolt it back to the center of the crank. I can slide it on by hand, carefully aligning the notch in the crank and HB. Im not sure if this is correct. Help!

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Might want to see why it fell off first?

·
Premium Member
18,724 Posts
should fit on SUPER SUPER tight! You should not be able to put it on by hand. Thats why theres tools to put it on. Make sure you have that little key half moon piece that goes in the crank. I stripped out the crank bolt trying to put mine on with the tool and had to use other methods. You can boil the hb in water to get it hot, that softens the metal a little and allows it to go on easier. then either rent a tool or you can do like me, use a 2x4 to protect the balancer beat it on with a sledge. Mine eventually went on and even without a bolt to hold it on it never came loose or come off. Brand new ones are really hard to fit on, thats the way it should be.

·
18,283 Posts
Originally posted by CoupeDevilleDTS@Nov 14 2008, 05:27 PM~12160038
should fit on SUPER SUPER tight! You should not be able to put it on by hand.  Thats why theres tools to put it on.  Make sure you have that little key half moon piece that goes in the crank.  I stripped out the crank bolt trying to put mine on with the tool and had to use other methods.  You can boil the hb in water to get it hot, that softens the metal a little and allows it to go on easier.  then either rent a tool or you can do like me, use a 2x4 to protect the balancer beat it on with a sledge.  Mine eventually went on and even without a bolt to hold it on it never came loose or come off.  Brand new ones are really hard to fit on, thats the way it should be.
Yes, you shouldn't be able to slide it on by hand, and you're right about the keyway. :biggrin:

·
Registered
14,848 Posts
add a dab of silicon in the key way also, and not all 327 are threaded.but they can be drilled and tapped if not to run a bolt. make sure theres not a groove wore around it wear the seal rides,you might need a repair sleeve for it to keep it from leaking

·
Premium Member
18,724 Posts
yeah, while its off you might as well pull off the front of the motor and throw on a chrome timing cover, fresh seals and a double roller :biggrin: While the front of the engine is off you might as well throw in a aluminum radiator :biggrin: while the radiator is out and the front of the engine is off and your timing cover is off you might as well pull the intake and throw in a bigger cam :biggrin:

For me unfortunately when something breaks on an old engine its too tempting cuz of cheap parts it becomes a waterfall of replacing and upgrading everything.

·
18,283 Posts
Originally posted by CoupeDevilleDTS@Nov 14 2008, 09:03 PM~12161904
yeah, while its off you might as well pull off the front of the motor and throw on a chrome timing cover, fresh seals and a double roller :biggrin:  While the front of the engine is off you might as well throw in a aluminum radiator :biggrin:  while the radiator is out and the front of the engine is off and your timing cover is off you might as well pull the intake and throw in a bigger cam :biggrin:

For me unfortunately when something breaks on an old engine its too tempting cuz of cheap parts it becomes a waterfall of replacing and upgrading everything.
x2 :biggrin:

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Originally posted by Ragtop Ted@Nov 14 2008, 10:15 PM~12161992
x2 :biggrin:
x3...

my duece was to be a simple street car.

as for your balancer, it needs to be tight. i used a dead blow to seat mine, then applied some locktite to make sure it stays. You can also use a torch to heat the center to relax the metal a bit so it slides on easier.

·
Premium Member
18,724 Posts
Originally posted by racerboy@Nov 15 2008, 12:37 AM~12162219
x3...

my duece was to be a simple street car.

as for your balancer, it needs to be tight. i used a dead blow to seat mine, then applied some locktite to make sure it stays. You can also use a torch to heat the center to relax the metal a bit so it slides on easier.
Unless you get a fluidamper, i had one of them and just went to boiling temp, if its really full of some kind of fluid I wouldnt heat that bitch up too high :0

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Originally posted by CoupeDevilleDTS@Nov 14 2008, 10:58 PM~12162384
Unless you get a fluidamper, i had one of them and just went to boiling temp, if its really full of some kind of fluid I wouldnt heat that bitch up too high :0
yea, for sure dont wanna heat that damper up too high. i used a torch cuz it was fast than using boiling water.

·
Face Puncher
25,975 Posts
If your crank snout is threaded, stop by home depot and get the same size threaded rod (all-thread), a couple washers, and a hex nut.

Thread the threaded rod into the crank, and slide the balancer on. Put on the washers and start tightening the nut. This will push the balancer on nice and tight.

If it's not threaded, then ya, you gotta warm it up a bit, and it's a PITA

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Originally posted by Tuna_Sammich@Nov 15 2008, 08:25 PM~12167982
If your crank snout is threaded, stop by home depot and get the same size threaded rod (all-thread), a couple washers, and a hex nut.

Thread the threaded rod into the crank, and slide the balancer on.  Put on the washers and start tightening the nut.  This will push the balancer on nice and tight.

If it's not threaded, then ya, you gotta warm it up a bit, and it's a PITA
:thumbsup:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts