Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you fog it or do you lay it thick w/clear
I want to get a strong pearl effect...

·
Registered
6,840 Posts
done properly pearls are always laid as a fog...but of course you have to mix them w/ clear--you can't spray them w/ out it------peace

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok so you fog a couple of coats of pearl then let it dry then throw a wet coat of clear... I want to do pearl patterns but want them to show good. Its over a white base....thnx

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
how much pearl do i mix w/clear whats the ratio?????

·
Registered
6,840 Posts
Originally posted by true rider@Nov 19 2003, 03:15 PM
ok so you fog a couple of coats of pearl then let it dry then throw a wet coat of clear... I want to do pearl patterns but want them to show good. Its over a white base....thnx
after you fog on the pearl you let it set and "flash" then you come back w/ straight clear----the first couple of coats of clear also have to be pretty light-----do not wet them out yet because you can make the pearls flatten out or if you run them then you will have to start over-----as far as the ratio.....i will usually use 2 teaspoons of pearl to every quart of clear---some use more---it all depend on how dark you want the pearl and how much you want it to show----if you use too much it will get pretty solid---too light you migh loose them in the light----i use this ration so as it is applied you can make it darker if you wish----you can always make something darker but never lighter------peace

"richee"

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thank for the input thats how im gonna do it..one more question have u ever fogged candys

·
Registered
6,840 Posts
Originally posted by true rider@Nov 19 2003, 04:20 PM
thank for the input thats how im gonna do it..one more question have u ever fogged candys
in a way bro-------candy's do go on pretty light and you build up layers as you go---eveyone has their own style-----like for instance i start from the bottom and work my way up-----it worked great for the person who taught me how to paint and it has worked great for me--i was told that most of the time the lower areas of the quarters are usually over looked so that is why he started to do it like this and taught me like this----like i said to each his/ her own-------good luck bro----

"richee"

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Thats a good point ther lowriderlife, You do tend to overlook the rocker areas.... As far as a pearl goes -- If you use too much sometimes the color from underneath becomes "Milky" so to speak ..... Start light & go from there ........

·
Registered
6,840 Posts
Originally posted by STREET SWEEPAZ@Nov 19 2003, 09:15 PM
Thats a good point ther lowriderlife, You do tend to overlook the rocker areas.... As far as a pearl goes -- If you use too much sometimes the color from underneath becomes "Milky" so to speak ..... Start light & go from there ........
same to you street sweepaz---good point-----too much pearl does created a "cloudy" look-----

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
When u shoot a candy do u do a full side at a time that way its an even flow I was told that a lot of people do that so the candy is even and not blochy...

I've done b/clear coat but not candy...

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What do u think i should do for light patterns on a white car???
I painted the car my self and it looks good but needs more

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
for a good finish with the kandy -- you MUST walk the entire distance of the car with each pass......if you stop at the doors,fenders,rear quarters -- there will be a overlap there will & it will show up "darker" in those areas....It would be better to start & stop at these areas than it would to stop & go at the middle of the doors .....That would look like shit !!!!!!!!!.. You would end up with a dark line down the middle of the door.......... :0

But i would only "walk" the car with each pass..................No Exceptions.....

Last edited by STREET SWEEPAZ at Nov 20 2003, 09:39 AM

·
Registered
6,840 Posts
Originally posted by STREET SWEEPAZ@Nov 20 2003, 08:38 AM
for a good finish with the kandy -- you MUST walk the entire distance of the car with each pass......if you stop at the doors,fenders,rear quarters -- there will be a overlap there will & it will show up "darker" in those areas....It would be better to start & stop at these areas than it would to stop & go at the middle of the doors .....That would look like shit !!!!!!!!!.. You would end up with a dark line down the middle of the door.......... :0

But i would only "walk" the car with each pass..................No Exceptions.....
exactly------the is also the reason i do all the jams last----lots of times people will do the jams first and then you get a ring of light over-spray around the door area----so guess what when you do the body you end up w/ a dark ring around the door because those areas end end getting more candy paint---------------as far as the patterns go bro------how wild do you want to go????--if you only want accents i would use pinstripping instead bro----------peace

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thats was what I thought... thanks for the info..
I'v done patterns on a few cars.. and kandy's on lowrider bike's
but not a car.. the only way to do it is to do it....

thanks, lowriderlife and street sweepaz.....

·
Registered
7,362 Posts
YOU CAN SPRAY PEARLS IN A BASE FORM....YOU NEED TO FIND A GOOD PAINT SHOP TO MAKE IT OR...USE DUPONT PEARLS...ITS MUCH EASYIER....JUST LIKE PAINTING A BASE........CAUSE WITH A DRY BASE PEARL...YOU CAN BUILD UP ...SHADOWING AROUND THE DOOR JAMES AND SO...THEN...IF YOU RUN THE CLEAR YOU RUN THE PEARL.....ON THE OTHER HAND THE BASE PEARL DRYS LIKE BASE...FAST....YOU CAN SEE WHAT YOU LAYING..AND MUCH MORE LESS OF A PAIN IN THE ASS...... :cool:

·
Registered
74 Posts
Question about spraying a candy....
Can you spray the candy if you had the doors, hood, and trunk seperate from the car and just make sure you put the same amount of coats on all the parts??? (and be very careful on reassembly)
Would this be easier for a "rookie" with candy's or harder?? It would be a much shorter walk from end to end with things seperate. Less blotchy???

·
Registered
6,840 Posts
Originally posted by lowride728@Nov 24 2003, 08:35 PM
Question about spraying a candy....
Can you spray the candy if you had the doors, hood, and trunk seperate from the car and just make sure you put the same amount of coats on all the parts??? (and be very careful on reassembly)
Would this be easier for a "rookie" with candy's or harder?? It would be a much shorter walk from end to end with things seperate. Less blotchy???
i would never paint "candies in pieces" especially if you are a rookie----they will never match------even if you use the same number of coats etc---------paint is a very "touchy" chemical....especially custom paint---in addition other things come into play when you are painting----wind/ cold/heat/humidity/ temp,distance...etc etc etc.......if you do it good luck---i know people than can do it however they are top notch painters and have been doing it for years.........

1 - 20 of 20 Posts