LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Phoenix Chapter President
Joined
·
6,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a few sets of china's laying around and decided to show yall how easy it is to remove a spoke or 2,3,4 ect........ first you'll need a box cutter(or wire wheel on a grinder) but for this purpouse some kind of scraping tool to remove the silicon bead,a 3/8's socket and ratchet and a small allen wrench(which I didnt need),,,,ok here we go......................

This is the donor rim,as you can see its pretty fucked up but the spokes are in ok shape



Here's the silicon scraped off(should of been done better but this is the donor rim so who gives a shit.... :biggrin: )

Use a 3/8's socket and ratchet to take off the nipple..

Here's the nipple out of the rim....

Here's the first spoke comming off

Here's the spoke and the nipple
 

·
Phoenix Chapter President
Joined
·
6,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
off to number 2

nipple getting unscrewed by hand

Here's the second spoke comming off

2 spokes with nipples on the bench...

soon as you get as many as you need just reverse the process and your good

once you get the donor spokes on the rim that needs them make sure you spin the rim on a rim spinner,disk,or wheel balancer befor you silicon and seal it to see if the rim needs "truing" ,if not just tighten up the spokes seal and get the tire mounted/balanced and go...........
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
 

·
Phoenix Chapter President
Joined
·
6,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Took me around 10 minutes to do......... :thumbsup:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
18,724 Posts
Be nice if you could find some stainless spokes to put in there. And so if you want to have them rechromed or powdercoated you only have 398 more to go... And then 400 more to install :cheesy: ... Damn how does keith do that shit all day
 

·
Phoenix Chapter President
Joined
·
6,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
this is by hand and a quick messy tutorial,If I used my impact drill on my wheel spinner, I can take apart a whole 100 spoke china rim in 15 minutes,thats if all the silicone is cleaned off..... :thumbsup:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
18,724 Posts
how tight were the bolts? assuming you will tighten it back down as tight. Think you will use any thread sealer when reintalling? Have you resealed it or another before? Just curious if your sealing methods work good.
 

·
Phoenix Chapter President
Joined
·
6,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Originally posted by CoupeDevilleDTS@Dec 2 2008, 05:52 PM~12316223
how tight were the bolts?  assuming you will tighten it back down as tight.  Think you will use any thread sealer when reintalling?  Have you resealed it or another before? Just curious if your sealing methods work good.
all the china's Ive took apart so far were pretty easy,Ive trued a couple as well but Ive tightened them by feel not by lbs per sq " which I should do but the ones Ive done in the past are still holding up(no complains,no leaks),and as far as sealing the bead I just use GE 100% silicone and lock tight 271 on the threads of the spokes,let it dry for 3 days...shit is easy.........
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,460 Posts
:420: :0
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,877 Posts
Originally posted by DanielDucati@Dec 2 2008, 05:10 PM~12316399
all the china's Ive took apart so far were pretty easy,Ive trued a couple as well but Ive tightened them by feel not by lbs per sq " which I should do but the ones Ive done in the past are still holding up(no complains,no leaks),and as far as sealing the bead I just use GE 100% silicone and lock tight 271 on the threads of the spokes,let it dry for 3 days...shit is easy.........

FYI all the wheels are the same to build i have rebuilt many daytons and other US maid wires they are all the same, but some like D's use differnt type of nipples.

and useing locktight is very good! alwas make sure the threads are clean! before applying lock tight, and remember to never over tighten it can trhow off the trueing and it will crack the hub at some point! just my 2 cents! :thumbsup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,877 Posts
Originally posted by OGRIMSDIRECT.COM@Dec 2 2008, 10:08 PM~12320298
FYI all the wheels are the same to build i have rebuilt many daytons and other US maid wires they are all the same, but some like D's use differnt type of nipples.

and useing locktight is very good! alwas make sure the threads are clean! before applying lock tight, and remember to never over tighten it can trhow off the trueing and it will crack the hub at some point! just my 2 cents!  :thumbsup:

oh yeah if you guys need nipples and spokes and parts and stuff hit me up or give me a call!
 

·
Phoenix Chapter President
Joined
·
6,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Originally posted by OGRIMSDIRECT.COM@Dec 2 2008, 11:08 PM~12320298
FYI all the wheels are the same to build i have rebuilt many daytons and other US maid wires they are all the same, but some like D's use differnt type of nipples.

and useing locktight is very good! alwas make sure the threads are clean! before applying lock tight, and remember to never over tighten it can trhow off the trueing and it will crack the hub at some point! just my 2 cents!  :thumbsup:
Thats so true,The pre stamped Dayton nipples use a flat tip screw driver instead of the 3/8's socket plus you need the spoke wrench to take them off,Ive replaced a few barrels on the pre stamped ones...........What are the individual prices on China nipples,spokes,barrels, hubs?????
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
18,724 Posts
Originally posted by robs68@Dec 2 2008, 09:05 PM~12317827
dam...magiver...lols
Macgyver would probably be stuck in the middle of the desert on his way to the phoenix foundation to stop the evil murdoc with a spoke leak on his jeep and have to use layers of duct tape and a laffy taffy bar around the seal to seal it up :cheesy: Hmm wonder if that would work...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,877 Posts
Originally posted by CoupeDevilleDTS@Dec 3 2008, 02:01 PM~12325691
Macgyver would probably be stuck in the middle of the desert on his way to the phoenix foundation to stop the evil murdoc with a spoke leak on his jeep and have to use layers of duct tape and a laffy taffy bar around the seal to seal it up :cheesy:  Hmm wonder if that would work...

HAHA I love MacGyver he rules! loved that show! if they needed to make a new remake of an 80's show this should be one of them! hehe
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27 Posts
:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: These type of tech trends are why I love this board!!!! :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
878 Posts
qUESTION, CAN I REMOVE ALL THE SPOKES N THEN PUT THEM BACK TOGETHER IN ANY ORDER FALLOWING YALLS TIPS...?
 

·
409
Joined
·
18,283 Posts
Originally posted by CoupeDevilleDTS@Dec 3 2008, 02:01 PM~12325691
Macgyver would probably be stuck in the middle of the desert on his way to the phoenix foundation to stop the evil murdoc with a spoke leak on his jeep and have to use layers of duct tape and a laffy taffy bar around the seal to seal it up :cheesy:  Hmm wonder if that would work...
Macgyver would be rolling D's or Z's for sure. :biggrin:
 
1 - 20 of 65 Posts
Top