LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 84 cutlass, and I want to shave the key hole on the trunk. I dont know what kind of popper from autoloc.com I need. Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
You don't need one-the stock solenoid will work just fine, or you can go to your local audio store, and have them hook up a universal Autolopush/pull lock solenoid on it, but the best way to do it would just use the stock popper-make it easier on yourself!By the way, if you don't have one stock-you can get one from a junkyard-good luck -PEACE

·
Registered
282 Posts
Here's a bit of advice...If your doing the job yourself try to do it with out using any bondo, measure it correctly and cut the piece of metal as close to the exact size as you'll need. Whenever you shave anything...handles, trunk key holes..or whatever...it is always in the best intrest to use as little to no bondo at all. Oh yeah...and make sure you have some sort of alternate way of getting to your trunk open just in case some shit happens...say your battery dies or whatever, I know this is like something that will rarely happen, but hey...its always good to look at any and all possible situations.

·
Registered
414 Posts
i put a peice of masking tape over the hole cut it out,and used that to cut out the sheetmetal.then i used a grinder to bevel the backside a little(so it sits flush). when you weld it use as little heat and amperage as you can.only weld bout a quarter inch at a time and give it time to cool before moving on or else you'll end up wit warped metal.i bought a parts car for 50 bucks sold some parts for $100 and used the factory trunk pop off that car.hope this helps :biggrin:

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
I try to help when I can-that's what this site is about!

·
Registered
10,888 Posts
i just would like to add this..........

after you wled in the metal piece use.........some duraglass........fiberglass filler.....

it is water resistant and should be used when any "patchwork" is done..........

you can sand afterwords and then use a little filler on top of that if you want to make it sand easier

1 - 7 of 7 Posts