LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I'm trying to get started on painting my car.

My car has the had a few paint jobs.

The original (white)
Then a pearl added to that
Then it was painted blue
Then it was painted green.

the guy who painted my car really fuk'd the car up. He never finished the paint job.

I know that I can use chemical strippers to get the paint off all the metal areas but what do I do about the bumpers?

Any and all help is appreciated.

Thanks
TC

·
Registered
138 Posts
They make a stripper especially for bumpers and plastic parts. That junk is pretty messy though. ;)

·
Registered
6,840 Posts
I AM SURE THAT YOU ARE GOING TO -RECHROME YOUR BUMPERS SO DON'T WORRY ABOUT THE PAINT--USUALLY THE COMPANY THAT IS DOING THE CHROME WILL "STRIP" THE BUMPERS FOR YOU BY CHEMICAL OR BLASTING BEFORE THEY GET TO WORK ON THEM---SO THE BUMPERS ARE THE LEAST OF YOUR WORRIES BRO...................PEACE

"RICHEE"

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey lowriderlife

My bumpers are plastic that are painted like the car. Sorry if I didn't make that clear from the beginning.

Here it is:

I want to repaint the car but the bumpers are plastic.

Thanks tho.

Later

TC

·
Registered
10,888 Posts
you can use a da if you want to cut it down..........

if you wanna just scuff it for more paint........which i wouldn't recommend seeing you have all that paint on there.......you can use sanding paste.............

i would use a da though it would be the safest way.........plastic is touchy........

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks switchcraft, what grit paper do you recommend starting out with.

I know that I've asked alot of questions but I've never done any type of body work before. I don't want to fuk shit up beyond repair.

I can do hydraulics and I would like to try to tackle painting my own car.

Thanks
TC

·
Registered
10,888 Posts
DON'T go to course on the plastic bumpers..............

i da sanded mine with 220 i just need to seal mine and MAYBE repair a few knicks nothing big........when you sand with the da keep moving around on the bumper and keep the sander flat.......you don't wanna make more gouges (however it's spelled) :biggrin:

this is only what i used and it cut it pretty fast.........i only had 1 paintjob besides factory though..........

but in your case i would try 220 first...........180 would work but i think it would leave some bad scratches...........

do you have to repair the bumpers at all?????

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks alot for the info.

My bumpers as well as the car are very straight. There is only one small ding in the back quarter panel. It can be popped out.

no major body work. I just have to feather out some chips.

Thanks

TC

1 - 10 of 10 Posts