LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what tool do i need and how do i use it to test my oil pressure?
And how do you test leakdown or compression?

and whats the nominal pressure it should be at?

How do you replace the valve guides or seals(valve job) without taking the heads off?

·
Premium Member
11,540 Posts
Originally posted by Torx@Aug 18 2005, 10:50 AM~3650274
what tool do i need and how do i use it to test my oil pressure?
And how do you test leakdown or compression?
and whats the nominal pressure it should be at?

How do you replace the valve guides or seals(valve job) without taking the heads off?
whoa slow down there :biggrin:

1) You can buy an oil pressure gauge (or a set of oil, water temp and volts) and hook it up in the car. It's a nice addition anyway and great to monitor vital engine stats.

2) Compression tester - It screws into your spark plug hole. The way you are SUPPOSED to do it is to remove all the plugs while the engine is still warm, hold the carb to the floor while cranking with the tester screwed into the hole. I never do all this though, I do one at a time...seems to work the same but I guess its to unload the engine while testing :dunno: About having the engine warm, I think thats to simulate how the rings are sealing while the engine is somewhat warm since it runs warm...get it?
A leakdown test is done when you think you have low compression, you can squirt a few drops of oil in the chamber through the spark plug hole and see if the compression increases, stays the same or leaks down after a few minutes

3) Most people will say that compressoin should be about 10-15% equal within all cylinders. For example if you get 160, 155, 157, etc you are ok. Ideal is as close as possible. An exact number doesn't work due to temperature of the engine, etc but around 150 is normally what I've seen.

4) There is a tool that you screw into the spark plug hole that you plug into an air supply. This will push the valve up (after you remove the rocker arm and if the cylidner is at TDC). This keeps the valve from falling into the chamber and allows you to change what you need to. I've never used this tool or done it this way, but I think I seen it in Hotrod magazine way back when.

·
Registered
15,195 Posts
Originally posted by pink63impala@Aug 18 2005, 01:58 PM~3650550
GOOD INFO, BUT YOUR NOT GOING TO DO A VALVE JOB WHILE THE HEADS ARE ON THE CAR, AND IF YOUR COMPRESSION IS BAD, YOULL NEED TO REBUILT THE WHOLE ENGINE, AND YOU CANT DO THAT IN THE CAR ;)
yes you can.... minus the valve job.

·
Registered
14,848 Posts
Originally posted by SolidGoldCaddy@Aug 18 2005, 07:37 PM~3653414
valves out = heads have to come off

valve guides out = heads stay on, tool needed as stated above
your stupid,and dont know what valve guides are :uh: ya, you can replace the SEALS with the head on.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
aight guys, calm down.. lol

yea it looks like imma have to replace the seals..
thanks for the info joe and members!!!

·
Registered
11,533 Posts
what ever u do dont replace the oil pump gears..i had a 3.8 in a grand prix and i had a oil pressure light come on at idle when warmed up..well i replaced those gears and the spring with a high pressure one and the motor spun a bearing shortly after and i dropped a 350 in it...

·
Registered
15,195 Posts
Originally posted by BLVDCRUISER@Aug 23 2005, 01:22 AM~3673631
what ever u do dont replace the oil pump gears..i had a 3.8 in a grand prix and i had a oil pressure light come on at idle when warmed up..well i replaced those gears and the spring with a high pressure one and the motor spun a bearing shortly after and i dropped a 350 in it...
:uh:

·
Registered
14,848 Posts
Originally posted by BLVDCRUISER@Aug 22 2005, 11:22 PM~3673631
you probly didnt prime the oil pump either

·
Registered
14,848 Posts
Originally posted by SolidGoldCaddy@Aug 22 2005, 08:56 PM~3672553
sorry i meant seals. but i guess its too late for that shit...im already fucking stupid.  damn  :uh:
sorry man, didnt mean to hurt your feelins :biggrin: just after reading a bunch of newbie trying to fix thier cars kinda aggervates ya a little ;)

·
Registered
9,656 Posts
Originally posted by Foompla@Aug 23 2005, 09:47 AM~3674664
:uh:

you change just the gears or the whole oil pump.. and if the whole pump did you tack weld the oil pick up onto the pump at the right hieght for the pan ?

and what spring are you talking about the filter by pass spring?

other reasons for spun bearings lack of oil... rod outta round ... clearnces too wide ...

hell with it ... i bet having a chevy engine takes away from the buick v6 headache

1 - 15 of 15 Posts