LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I swapped the engine on my cutlass for a chevy 350, i have everything hooked up except the gas lines. That black canister that has hoses that lead to the carb and the fuel tank....how would i go about hooking that up??? Do i need that??? any help would be apreciated. thanks. oh.....im not smogging the car anymore either....

·
Registered
24,862 Posts
get rid of it, it's a carbon canister for emissions..

there should be a rubber hose going to it, at the end of the rubber hose should be a steel hose (in the engine compartment), plug the steel hose

·
Registered
312 Posts
You can get rid of the charcoal can however do not plug or cap the line going back to the tank. This is the tank vent. When you drive the car gas is pulled out of one line of the gas tank. If this other line (vent line from the charcoal can) is plugged eventually you will not be able to pull any more gas out of the tank since fresh air cannot get into the tank to replace what was removed. If you later notice gas fumes in the engine bay from this open line then see if you can change from a sealed gas cap on the gas tank to a vented design or model. At that point you can then cap the vent line as air can now get into the tank from the different designed gas cap.
Jim

·
Registered
24,862 Posts
Originally posted by Custom Jim@Sep 6 2006, 09:48 AM~6114529
You can get rid of the charcoal can however do not plug or cap the line going back to the tank. This is the tank vent. When you drive the car gas is pulled out of one line of the gas tank. If this other line (vent line from the charcoal can) is plugged eventually you will not be able to pull any more gas out of the tank since fresh air cannot get into the tank to replace what was removed. If you later notice gas fumes in the engine bay from this open line then see if you can change from a sealed gas cap on the gas tank to a vented design or model. At that point you can then cap the vent line as air can now get into the tank from the different designed gas cap.
Jim
i better go unplug mine.. i thought it was a vent(fumes out) and didnt want my engine bay to explode....

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanx CustomJim and Bigeazy-e. You guys know your shit huh. Thanx.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Originally posted by biggeazy-e@Sep 6 2006, 08:04 AM~6114577
i better go unplug mine.. i thought it was a vent(fumes out) and didnt want my engine bay to explode....
It probably works both ways. From what I know the engine would pull vaccum on that line and keep any fumes from getting into the atmosphere.
If the car is sitting and the tank heats up then to relieve the pressure inside the tank the vent would have fumes coming out of it and while the engine is running and pulling fuel out of the tank it's letting air in. With such a small line there probably wouldn't be hardly any fumes coming out of it compared to having 20 gallons of gas in a bathtub.
On my 73 Nova I have a steel line and it ended by the rear of the left front wheel housing off of the undercarriage and I took a small section of rubber hose and put one end on the steel line and the other end I have a PCV valve on it. My reasoning is the PCV valve will let air in and pressure out in a somewhat restricted fashion and I'm thinking if fluid (gas) were to come out the line it would also seal up somewhat. PCV valves are cheap and I don't know how really well they seal up but my thinking was it was a valve and while I didn't want to leave the steel line open I'm thinking it is working like I wanted it too.

I know there is not a ton of fuel flowing out of the stock lines when driving the car and was reminded of this while working on a customer's 56 chevy with an LS1 motor in it and an intank fuel pump. We had problems with the sending unit and to make it easier to get the gas out of the tank I disconnected the line on the frame and put a catch can under it and turned on the ignition. It took a while to pump out 5 gallons of fuel. Now I have seen rails and funny car fuel systems and those have 1-2" diameter fuel lines on them off of the tanks and those burn a LOT more fuel than most cars out there.

Jim

1 - 6 of 6 Posts