LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
not sure if this should be under hydros or maintence and repair but how do i hook the cylienders up to the fronat if its front wheel drive any advice will help
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14,802 Posts
Originally posted by 68 CHEVY@Feb 19 2009, 02:28 PM~13050674
not sure if this should be under hydros or maintence and repair but how do i hook the cylienders up to the fronat if its front wheel drive any advice will help

if the front of the car is a strut setup then you need to fabricate some cups to hold the cylinders in place..if its not a strut setup then a normal coil under setup applies
 

·
IM BACK!!!
Joined
·
7,752 Posts
I FUCCIN HATE FWDs-- THEY ARE AWFUL.. I did a 1990 ELDORADO for a customer-- AND I WILL NEVER DO ONE EVER AGAIN!!!!!!!!

The fROnt was awful- the bac was awful-- IT WAS COMPLETELY AWFUL!!
Heres a pic of the fROnt cylinder- during moc up
For the lower part-- I duplicated the factory strut mounting set up ou of some tube and plate. I made the tube the lenght I needed- then cut the flat plate into the shapes I needed before welding them on the sides to connect it to the spindle..
Up top- I Cut apart the factory strut mounting plate-- and used ti to mount to the top of the cylinder. These are reverse flows so the fluid inlet isnt at the top.

OH-- and by the way- this was a house call cause he was attempting it himself first- so it was all done with my portable set up--- so I ARCd it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,641 Posts
Originally posted by SWIPH@Feb 19 2009, 03:15 PM~13051123
I FUCCIN HATE FWDs-- THEY ARE AWFUL.. I did a 1990 ELDORADO for a customer-- AND I WILL NEVER DO ONE EVER AGAIN!!!!!!!! 

The fROnt was awful- the bac was awful-- IT WAS COMPLETELY AWFUL!!
Heres a pic of the fROnt cylinder- during moc up
For the lower part-- I duplicated the factory strut mounting set up ou of some tube and plate. I made the tube the lenght I needed- then cut the flat plate into the shapes I needed before welding them on the sides  to connect it to the spindle..
Up top- I Cut apart the factory strut mounting plate-- and used ti to mount to the top of the cylinder. These are reverse flows so the fluid inlet isnt at the top.

OH-- and by the way- this was a house call cause he was attempting it himself first- so it was all done with my portable set up--- so I ARCd it.




:eek:hno: :eek:hno: :eek:hno:
 

·
IM BACK!!!
Joined
·
7,752 Posts
Originally posted by NeNe@Feb 19 2009, 02:55 PM~13051547
:eek:hno:  :eek:hno:  :eek:hno:
Let me see your FWD set ups.. I know you dont enjoy em IF YOU HAVE EVEN DONE ANY :0
The 90 eldorados is one of the worst suspensions to even try and Juice- if you did some honda (which is cake) or a newer deville- get outta here with that shit :uh:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,641 Posts
Originally posted by SWIPH@Feb 19 2009, 03:59 PM~13051574
Let me see your FWD set ups.. I know you dont enjoy em IF YOU HAVE EVEN DONE ANY :0
The 90 eldorados is one of the worst suspensions to even try and Juice-  if you did some honda (which is cake) or a newer deville- get outta here with that shit :uh:


wasnt coming down at you homie.....just never liked the fact of FWDs on juice :cool:
 

·
IM BACK!!!
Joined
·
7,752 Posts
Originally posted by NeNe@Feb 19 2009, 03:05 PM~13051632
wasnt coming down at you homie.....just never liked the fact of FWDs on juice  :cool:

:cool:

ME EITHER-=- I HATE EM- and unless I get paid 500grand and make it worth it- I aint touchin an eldorado like this ever again :biggrin:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
632 Posts
Originally posted by SWIPH@Feb 19 2009, 03:15 PM~13051123
I FUCCIN HATE FWDs-- THEY ARE AWFUL.. I did a 1990 ELDORADO for a customer-- AND I WILL NEVER DO ONE EVER AGAIN!!!!!!!! 

The fROnt was awful- the bac was awful-- IT WAS COMPLETELY AWFUL!!
Heres a pic of the fROnt cylinder- during moc up
For the lower part-- I duplicated the factory strut mounting set up ou of some tube and plate. I made the tube the lenght I needed- then cut the flat plate into the shapes I needed before welding them on the sides  to connect it to the spindle..
Up top- I Cut apart the factory strut mounting plate-- and used ti to mount to the top of the cylinder. These are reverse flows so the fluid inlet isnt at the top.

OH-- and by the way- this was a house call cause he was attempting it himself first- so it was all done with my portable set up--- so I ARCd it.

I wouldn't go that far. They suck, but no big deal...

http://www.layitlow.com/forums/index.php?s...opic=446436&hl=
 

·
IM BACK!!!
Joined
·
7,752 Posts
Originally posted by trefive@Feb 19 2009, 03:22 PM~13051789
I wouldn't go that far.  They suck, but no big deal...

http://www.layitlow.com/forums/index.php?s...opic=446436&hl=

HAVE YOU DONE AN 89 or 90 eldorado- OR SOMETHIN WITH THE EXACT SAME SUSUPNSION?????????????? until you have dont speak on what I jus said..

Cause I have done others FWDs- and they are all cake compared to this supsension set up.. These ELDORADOS are the biggest pain in the ass TO WORK PROPERLY. Im not jus talkin bout goin up and down either. I mean to be able to drive- HAVE DECNT CAMBER and still turn like its suppose to.
TELL ME- naw better yet- POST UP THE ONE YOU HAVE DONE-- ID LOVE TO SEE IT-- ON THE REALS
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
632 Posts
So..a macpherson strut? What was so difficult about it specifically? Well, I can tell you that having coils on it makes it more proned to problems, that's why I ditch the coils and just run straight accumulator.

Anything with an upper control arm FWD or not is going to be easier than a Macpherson - I shouldn't even say easier, just different.
 

·
IM BACK!!!
Joined
·
7,752 Posts
Originally posted by trefive@Feb 19 2009, 03:37 PM~13051911
So..a macpherson strut?  What was so difficult about it specifically?  Well, I can tell you that having coils on it makes it more proned to problems, that's why I ditch the coils and just run straight accumulator.

Anything with an upper control arm FWD or not is going to be easier than a Macpherson - I shouldn't even say easier, just different.
SO- Aparently you havent done one- thats what I take it from your reply?
The fROnt was a pain in the ass jus for the fact of havin no ROom to run the hose without it gettin caught up- the fROnt wasnt really where my anger comes fROm. The bac was the biggest bitch in the worlds. I mean it seemed like no matter what I did-- I couldnt get the bac to have any decent camber. It looked like a ford ranger tuccin 22s and laid at AT ALL TIME. no matter what adjustments I did- it jus was a bitch. I finaly got it to look pretty decent- but it was still negastive camber like a muthafucca- and if I would have changed it anymore- (LIKE I TRIED) it was postive camber.. Im talkin I barely changed what I was doin- and the wheel was cambered the other way 10 times worse... I rebuilt the rear bout 10 times- NO JOKE...

FUC THEM. A honda - or somethin like it- its cake- have em done in a day.
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
18,722 Posts








W bodys are NO cake walk either. 2 years of trial and error to get something that lasted on the road. Front suspension has no upper arms, the strut acted as the lateral support so no coils possible, and no room for reverse flows so had to use a full time swivel fitting in order to turn the wheel and not blow hoses every week. Rear had a fiberglass leafspring from wheel to wheel and no room for coils back there either. I adjusted the camber so that they tucked when layed out but when you raised it up they butterflied out. Couldnt help it much. Went with accums all around and got a REAL nice ride.

I dont doubt one bit a eldo is tough. Anything other than grand ams and hondas or cars you can just get euro kits for are a shit TON of trial and error!!!

Like swiph says, Id never do this again!! :nosad:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
475 Posts
Originally posted by SWIPH@Feb 19 2009, 03:47 PM~13052013
SO- Aparently you havent done one- thats what I take it from your reply?
The fROnt was a pain in the ass jus for the fact of havin no ROom to run the hose without it gettin caught up- the fROnt wasnt really where my anger comes fROm. The bac was the biggest bitch in the worlds. I mean it seemed like no matter what I did-- I couldnt get the bac to have any decent camber. It looked like a  ford ranger tuccin 22s and laid at AT ALL TIME. no matter what adjustments I did- it jus was a bitch. I finaly got it to look  pretty decent- but it was still negastive camber like a muthafucca- and if I would have changed it anymore- (LIKE I TRIED) it was postive camber.. Im talkin I barely changed what I was doin- and the wheel was cambered the other way 10 times worse... I rebuilt the rear  bout 10 times- NO JOKE...

FUC THEM.  A honda - or somethin like it- its cake- have em done in a day.
I'll co-sign on this.. they can be a pain way more then most :cool:
 

·
Member # 1,077
Joined
·
22,641 Posts
red ghost has a FWD caddy
 

·
IM BACK!!!
Joined
·
7,752 Posts
Originally posted by HARDLUCK88@Feb 19 2009, 08:04 PM~13054266
red ghost has a FWD caddy
LET ME GUESS- its a 90s deville

:dunno:
 

·
More posts than Cornbread
Joined
·
9,662 Posts
Originally posted by HARDLUCK88@Feb 19 2009, 10:04 PM~13054266
red ghost has a FWD caddy
X 2

And this topic has been asked many times before & criticized many times.



I have a civic with Juice

LOWASME on here has a toyota scion with Juice

NY-BOSSMAN on here Used to have a Neon with Juice

Shit theres a ton of guys on here with FWD Juiced rides.
 

·
Member # 1,077
Joined
·
22,641 Posts
Originally posted by SWIPH@Feb 19 2009, 10:49 PM~13054769
LET ME GUESS- its a 90s deville

:dunno:

no, i think its a 89 fleetwood, but the fwd version... i forget.
 

·
Member # 1,077
Joined
·
22,641 Posts
my bad its a 91 deville...

 
1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Top