LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a 85 Cuttlass and thinking on juicing it hopefully some time this year,but I`am helping a friend out with his Cutlass and ?`s present almost all the time.He wants to put his power balls like on 45 tilting back,his theory is when he locks up the rear the diferrential will not point down as much and stress out his u-joints?Antother way he was thinking was putting some chains on the front of the axle to hold it from tilting so much.I strongly disagree but he might I might be wrong.Also I have seen the cylinders placed on the bottom trailing arm.would that b o.k and what is the reason behind it?How wide would my c-channel should be?Any info ,critics and the pros help us out.THANKS!:)

·
Registered
5,485 Posts
Cool ideas but why make is so complicated im no hydro guru but I have cut some cars in my time. I will tell you this G-body cars are probably the simplest car you would ever cut anyways. Rear coil over setups is the key and putting power balls on an angle no need for that. Keep it simple if its a street car just do it the way it should be done. Experimenting is cool if you have a car to do it on but if its a daily or something dont waste your time. Alot can go wrong when you install components the wrong way. On G-bodys no need to put cylinder on lower trailing arm, sure seen it on some impalas though. Take your time and do some more research. Re-inventing the wheel does you no good. Check out some of the most basic systems out there clean and simple operational and safe!

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
You need 3 inch c channel to mount the power balls to the rear end.

Mount them straight up and down centered where the original spring perch was. Do not mount them at a 45 will not do any good. The powerball already has the ability to move when the suspension angle changes.

The powerballs don't change the pinion angle really. It is the upper arms bottoming out on the frame this causes the rear end to point down.

Do it right
Upper and lower adjustable trailing arms. Slip yolk. Drop mounts if you want to go crazy.

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
Have a 85 Cuttlass and thinking on juicing it hopefully some time this year,but I`am helping a friend out with his Cutlass and ?`s present almost all the time.He wants to put his power balls like on 45 tilting back,his theory is when he locks up the rear the diferrential will not point down as much and stress out his u-joints?Antother way he was thinking was putting some chains on the front of the axle to hold it from tilting so much.I strongly disagree but he might I might be wrong.Also I have seen the cylinders placed on the bottom trailing arm.would that b o.k and what is the reason behind it?How wide would my c-channel should be?Any info ,critics and the pros help us out.THANKS!:)
all the chain ideas are just gonna fuck up the car the axle will tilt because of the geometry of the stock four link trying to force it straight will only bend suspension components.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts