Discussion Starter #1
i am gettin two solo x's installed in my expedition with my kenwood dvd player

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
OK

A few questions:

1) How much are you paying for these Solo-Xs
2) What amp(s) are you going to be running them on?
3) What kind and type of box are you going to have them in? Because i don't see HOW you can get enough airspace for two solo-xs in an expedition. then again, you might be able to... but if you don't, they won't sound as good
4) These things eat up power... if you feed them each their RMS, you'll be giving out 10,000 Watts RMS... that'll destroy any electrical system, even an Expedition, so what are you going to do to run them? Getting extra alternator(s)? Some batteries?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well they cost 1200 each plus the discount the guy gave me and they are going in a like 10 cube box or something the installer knows im gettin a optima and then a alternator and eventually bigger amps because im only running 1500 to each but they had 1200 to the one in the store and it hit like a mofo plus all i had to pay is $2.94

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
OK, because 1200W is nothing, they can handle 5000W RMS (continuous)...

yeah, you'll need a massive alternator, possibly two, and you should get at least two yellow-tops

EDIT: I'm thinking, the Solo-X wasn't really meant to run in twos... i mean, really... it's meant to perform standalone...
i say rather than paying a lot for two of them, and then not pushing them with what they can take, rather just buy one, and then give it a perfect box, perfect power (amp), and it'll sound as good as two ;)

EDIT2: Actually, i'm just thinking... rather than getting these two Solo-Xs, why not pay the same you'd pay for one Solo-x, and instead get two 18" XXXs, or 15" Brahmas, or Jugs, or something.

in pairs, there's a lot of subs that together will easily "out-bass" a single Solo-X. and you'll probably come off a lot cheaper too.

Last edited by Stealth at Dec 3 2003, 08:59 PM

·
Registered
15,630 Posts
place here in the city has 5 of those installed in a van with 3600w to each, they wont let people get within 25ft of the van without earmuffs and signing a waiver...

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
that's just crazy though. i mean imagine how much they spent on the subs, boxes, alternators, caps, batteries, amps, and more. i'm guessing probably close to $15,000

·
Registered
15,630 Posts
well they claim to get big discounts on kicker stuff since they were the second store to sell kicker merchandise ever, kicker is an oklahoma company!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by Stealth@Dec 3 2003, 09:54 PM
OK, because 1200W is nothing, they can handle 5000W RMS (continuous)...

yeah, you'll need a massive alternator, possibly two, and you should get at least two yellow-tops

EDIT: I'm thinking, the Solo-X wasn't really meant to run in twos... i mean, really... it's meant to perform standalone...
i say rather than paying a lot for two of them, and then not pushing them with what they can take, rather just buy one, and then give it a perfect box, perfect power (amp), and it'll sound as good as two ;)

EDIT2: Actually, i'm just thinking... rather than getting these two Solo-Xs, why not pay the same you'd pay for one Solo-x, and instead get two 18" XXXs, or 15" Brahmas, or Jugs, or something.

in pairs, there's a lot of subs that together will easily "out-bass" a single Solo-X. and you'll probably come off a lot cheaper too.
well i already have 2 12" brahmas and another guy with 2 in a tahoe and 1200 watts to each and the guy said is was soo loud he couldnt stand to be in the car and it was rattling the shop

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Originally posted by BuThatsaCHRYSLER@Dec 3 2003, 10:19 PM
well they claim to get big discounts on kicker stuff since they were the second store to sell kicker merchandise ever, kicker is an oklahoma company!
he gave me discounts from the store price and on my dvd player and my alarm and my comps

·
Registered
15,630 Posts
Originally posted by peter+Dec 3 2003, 10:27 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (peter @ Dec 3 2003, 10:27 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--BuThatsaCHRYSLER@Dec 3 2003, 10:19 PM
he gave me discounts from the store price and on my dvd player and my alarm and my comps[/b][/quote]
well the store gets big discounts they stil sell the shit retail

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Originally posted by BuThatsaCHRYSLER+Dec 3 2003, 10:29 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (BuThatsaCHRYSLER @ Dec 3 2003, 10:29 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by [email protected] 3 2003, 10:27 PM
<!--QuoteBegin--BuThatsaCHRYSLER
@Dec 3 2003, 10:19 PM

he gave me discounts from the store price and on my dvd player and my alarm and my comps
well the store gets big discounts they stil sell the shit retail[/b][/quote]
i know i got jacked but my mom payed so its all good i want a harrison labs amp to power one this one is 6,400 @ 1ohm rms

·
Registered
5,077 Posts
Originally posted by peter+Dec 4 2003, 09:09 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (peter @ Dec 4 2003, 09:09 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by [email protected] 3 2003, 10:29 PM

i know i got jacked but my mom payed so its all good i want a harrison labs amp to power one this one is 6,400 @ 1ohm rms[/b][/quote]
get 2 of those new jbl crown 5000 watt amps

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Originally posted by 91lacdeville+Dec 4 2003, 09:15 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (91lacdeville @ Dec 4 2003, 09:15 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by [email protected] 4 2003, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by [email protected] 3 2003, 10:29 PM

i know i got jacked but my mom payed so its all good i want a harrison labs amp to power one this one is 6,400 @ 1ohm rms
get 2 of those new jbl crown 5000 watt amps[/b][/quote]
how much are they cause if they are less than 3 grand a pop id do it

·
Registered
807 Posts
Honestly, you guys all must be incredibly rich!

You are talking about products here whose performance to dollar ration is incredibly low. I would personally never use solox's or jbl crowns unless given to me in a sponsorship. The facto of the matter is that the retail value is so incredibly high that they are not worth it. For the same ammount of money, you could get FAAAAR better equipment. But hey, do what you want. Its not my money. If after buying all this, you still have some left over, PM me for my address ;) :biggrin:

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
yeha i agree with Jeremy. You know, a Solo-x really does hit hard, extremely hard, but if you're paying $1200 for it, for that price you could get two 18" XXXs, which would pound the SHIT out of one solo-x... and you'd still have a few hundred $$ left :uh:

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Originally posted by Stealth@Dec 5 2003, 04:38 PM
yeha i agree with Jeremy. You know, a Solo-x really does hit hard, extremely hard, but if you're paying $1200 for it, for that price you could get two 18" XXXs, which would pound the SHIT out of one solo-x... and you'd still have a few hundred $$ left :uh:
thats what you would choose but i choose the solo xs because i wanted em so stop hating and well see when i get my ex measured how bad these solo xs are

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
you're spoiled. good for you. no one's "hating" on you, we're just saying that if we were going to spend that much money on subs, we definately wouldn't get Solo-Xs, because for the same price you can get a much better sub or combination of subs. just our opinion, and i'm sure you'll agree we're entitled to it.

good luck with the Solo-Xs

1 - 20 of 23 Posts