LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that putty can be a bitch to use sometimes, from what I have heard on other sites anyway. How long does it take Tamiya putty to dry? It only has Japanese on the box, really no actualy instructions, just cautions.
I got it today because I want to finish my monte soon. Which thickness would be the best to cut my boot installs box out in? 0.10, 0.20 or 0.40?

·
Registered
21,387 Posts
I would use it like any other filler. Be careful not to start sanding and painting too soon, because it will shrink up after it cures. Just do one layer at a time and let it sit a couple days or so.

Any thickness styrene would be fine, but you could use the thinner stuff if you wanted something a little more complex. but if your just building a box, the .040 would be good.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks man, yeah last nigth I just sat down and glued in the boot floor, made that from 0.040" styrene. I'm wishing now that I got the styrene sheet that had pre made cuts on one side so that you can bend it easily :(

I'll probably build upp the side parts of the box tonight. Any idea on how I could get a circle in the styrene to fit the subs in? I'd need a 8mm drill bit, as an estimate.

·
Registered
21,387 Posts
i would just trace around your speaker, and then cut it out. It doesn't have to be a perfect circle, because the lip of the speaker will cover the edge. The worst thing you can do is cut the hole too big, cuz then you have to start over.

And i trimmed the sides of my regals trunk using the 0.010 styrene. and did the boot floor with something a little thicker.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i'm thinking of using the 0.020" for the boxes on the sides. I want to make a wall in the boot under the C pillars taht has a see through perspex thing in it so you can see the batteries but I dont think you'd want to see a bunch of batteries?

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
also keep your hand wet, it helps to make the putty smooth and it doesnt stick all over your hands. so when you smooth it out it wont stick to you finger and leave holes in the putty

·
Registered
3,880 Posts
Originally posted by Purpura Delujo@Nov 15 2003, 07:31 AM
Thanks man, yeah last nigth I just sat down and glued in the boot floor, made that from 0.040" styrene. I'm wishing now that I got the styrene sheet that had pre made cuts on one side so that you can bend it easily :(

I'll probably build upp the side parts of the box tonight. Any idea on how I could get a circle in the styrene to fit the subs in? I'd need a 8mm drill bit, as an estimate.
use the drill bit to cut the hole :uh: ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts