LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When the weather is cold my speedometer tends to stick. So if I turn the truck off and its stuck at 40mph than when I start to move the next time it goes up from there. (so when Im doing 20mph it shows Im doing 60mph). I can flip the ignition on and off and the needle will come back around to 0. It did this last winter but stopped when it got warmer, I assumed it fixed itself....I guess not :angry: :uh: Anybody had this problem or know what it takes to fix it? Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,540 Posts
there is a service bulletin for those clusters. the whole cluster needs to be replaced with an updated one. you have to have the dealer order one up and put it in. they have to be programmed with the bcm and pcm.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,540 Posts
any other questions just asked. i have erplaced and programmed about 500 of them things
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16,520 Posts
you can actually by the motors on ebay

they tend to go out on 03 and newer chevys
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,506 Posts
shulda bought a f 150
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,540 Posts
Originally posted by Sleepy G@Nov 22 2008, 12:29 AM~12226124
you can actually by the motors on ebay

they tend to go out on 03 and newer chevys
it the whole cluster that has problems. i've seen every needle have problems. when i was at chevy, a truck would come in with that problem, and i would go get a tech II scan the part number and go straight to parts. and then ship the truck. 5 min and was done till part came in. dont try to fix the cluster. it will be nothing but problems.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16,520 Posts
Originally posted by maniak2005@Nov 22 2008, 03:12 PM~12230485
it the whole cluster that has problems. i've seen every needle have problems. when i was at chevy, a truck would come in with that problem, and i would go get a tech II scan the part number and go straight to parts. and then ship the truck. 5 min and was done till part came in. dont try to fix the cluster. it will be nothing but problems.

THEY HAVE THEM IN SETS OF 8

SO U CAN REPLACE ALL EIGHT
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,540 Posts
ya you can. but no matter what he does its still a pour design. and at least you can get a 12 mo warranty with it. cuz you know its goin to mess up again, again, again.
 

·
Married to the Ave
Joined
·
24,221 Posts
Originally posted by 67juiced@Nov 21 2008, 12:55 PM~12221957
When the weather is cold my speedometer tends to stick. So if I turn the truck off and its stuck at 40mph than when I start to move the next time it goes up from there. (so when Im doing 20mph it shows Im doing 60mph). I can flip the ignition on and off and the needle will come back around to 0. It did this last winter but stopped when it got warmer, I assumed it fixed itself....I guess not :angry:  :uh: Anybody had this problem or know what it takes to fix it? Thanks
WAHAHHAHA AND GM IS LOOKING FOR A BAILOUT :uh:

REAL TAULK..IT COULD BE A SPEEDO SENSOR THATS FAULTY ON THE TRANSMISSION...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,242 Posts
You replace the whole cluster not the needles.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,540 Posts
Originally posted by REYXTC@Nov 23 2008, 02:16 PM~12235321
You replace the whole cluster not the needles.
thats what i tried telling sleepy. but if he has replaced just the little motors in there and worked fine than more power to him. i would just get a new cluster from the dealer and have them program it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16,520 Posts
Originally posted by REYXTC+Nov 23 2008, 12:16 PM~12235321-->
You replace the whole cluster not the needles.
[/b]

its not the actual needle , its the stepper motor
ALL GM'S 2003 TO NOW AND EVEN FUTURE HAVE THAT PROBLEM



<!--QuoteBegin-maniak2005
@Nov 23 2008, 02:46 PM~12236054
thats what i tried telling sleepy. but if he has replaced just the little motors in there and worked fine than more power to him. i would just get a new cluster from the dealer and have them program it.


IM SAYING, IF YOU THINK YOU CAN DO IT , ORDER THE STEPPER MOTORS ONLINE, OR SEND THE CLUSTER TO GET FIXED, WHY SPEND 500 PLUS DOLLARS AT THE DEALER



SEARCH "STEPPER MOTORS" ON EBAY AND GOOGLE


;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,540 Posts
i seen quite few come threw and the cluster was 250-300 and the programming was anout 80. if he can do it great more power to him. but if he fucks up then he just wasted money
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,540 Posts
Originally posted by 67juiced@Nov 23 2008, 06:48 PM~12236592
But why does it screw up only when the weather is cold? :angry:  :uh:
its worse when its cold. but does it anytime.
 

·
Member # 1,077
Joined
·
22,645 Posts
funny, im having the opposite problem, but with a honda lol. when its hot out, the speedo and radio cut off for just a second at random times... oh, but also the doors kept trying to lock themselves... i just pulled the fuse.. but the stereo and speedo are still doing that shit, but now that its cold out it stopped... i think the secondary cooling fan has a short.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,242 Posts
I know its not the needles, believe i've done so many and still do.
I work at the Dealer.
 
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Top