LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 5 gallon tank with 2 viair 450 compressors. I think Im putting in about 180psi. Here lately I keep blowing fuses when the compressors are on. I think it even blew once when I hit a switch (not 100% sure tho). I have 8g power wire running to it all with 40amp fuses. I think within the 2weeks it has started doing this Ive gone through about 25 fuses. What could cause this to happen?

·
Registered
8,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1. I believe Im pulling too much. I pulled one of the relays out so 1 compressor runs and it worked fine. Just took longer to fill the tank.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Hey I have had this problem with a few of them.. the viars have always been good to me. and never had any problems with my customers cars/trucks... I notice on one truck that the fuse gets hot while it is in the fuse socket.. which means that they are drawing to much amps... The truck that was messing up had 2 compressors and one worked fine and the other kept blowing fuses...I called my vendor and was told that if the car has a system and the compressors dont get the correct voltage.. that would have caused the compressor to fail..or blow fuses..I didnt think that was a good explaination.. untill another truck came in for a blown fuse and well he had the truck bagged for about 8 months then put a system in and then it started blowing fuses...Im not sure if this is your case but i also notice that the way the viairs run are smooth...And well the when they started blowing fuses the were running rough.. Hope this helps .. I just warrantied them out with my vendor and that was it..

·
Registered
8,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A buddy of mine in Tenn. told me to run another 8guage wire. Have one to each compressor. Ill try that and see if that helps.

I was told that my compressors are broken in and running good and they are pulling more amps.

·
Registered
8,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Still didnt work. Its the passenger side compressor. I keep blowing the fuse to it. Also they have relays. I replaced a relay to that side it and still blows them. I fucking hate this shit.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Its suppose to be 30 amp fuses according to my viar specs manual -NOT 40)-that should be placed inline the 8 gauge wire no more than a foot from the battery.Each compressor needs its own wire and relay as well..........I just had to do this with my airbag set up recently as well!!!!!

MS

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
on my bag setup i ran 100% duty solinoid....got it from the RV place but i believe advanced auto sells them they are like the ford silinoids used for hydros

i NEVER had one problem bought it almost 5 years ago

i had 2 DC7000 compressors an i think the solinoid was 100 or 120 amp

·
Registered
8,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ive been blowing 30s and 40s. Im going to check it later today. Last night I ran it without a fuse, just straight wired, and let the compressor run till the tank was full. Then I put the fuse back in and played with it a bit and it worked fine. :dunno:

·
-394 CUSTOMS-
8,553 Posts
why dont you just pust a starter solenoid off a ford in there?? problem solved. you could run it with a toggle switch or with your pressure switch if thats what youre using.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Each compressor is wired seperately with its own relay and own inline fuse which has to be spliced in no further than 12 inches from the battery connection.
I would check your grounds as well-

MS

·
Registered
110 Posts
We sell good quality solenoids.

Run a good quality 4 gauge powre line with a 60 amp fuse under the hood. Round AGU fuse witha correct holder less than 12 inchs from the battery.

let me know if you need a good solenoid. Ditch the relays. This should solve your problem.

Also make sure the ground is directly to the frame and the surface is grinded down.

·
Registered
8,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Its not the fuses. It was the compressor already. Waiting on Viair to send me a new one.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Originally posted by JRO@Aug 29 2006, 10:55 AM~6066050
Its not the fuses. It was the compressor already. Waiting on Viair to send me a new one.
Too bad I didn't see this thread earlier. A compressor that is pulling twice the amps that its supposed to pull is indicitive of a bad motor, not a faulty relay as everyone seems to think here. Very rarely will a relay cause a ground short and pop fuses, and if it did, when you put the new fuse in, it would pop either instantly, or right when the compressor came on.

·
Registered
8,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Originally posted by SlammedDime@Sep 4 2006, 02:54 PM~6101325
Too bad I didn't see this thread earlier.  A compressor that is pulling twice the amps that its supposed to pull is indicitive of a bad motor, not a faulty relay as everyone seems to think here.  Very rarely will a relay cause a ground short and pop fuses, and if it did, when you put the new fuse in, it would pop either instantly, or right when the compressor came on.
Yeah mine popped fuses soon as the compressors kicked on. Soon as a I put a new one in, another blew. It sucked.

Im also switching to 380's. Ive heard they are really good so Ill be getting rid of the 450's as soon as my new one comes in.

·
Registered
110 Posts
both are good pumps. But i have had some bad compressors do that also. Its easy to overlook that and blame it on wiring.

hope you get everything taken care of with viair.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts