LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok , i just got a 80 cutlas the other day and i found only one rust spot on the hole car (besides very lil surface) this spot is about 3 inch round, i cant push it in , but im sure i can, so im gonna sand it off as best as i can today make sure theres no rust left, now , if its not a hole , do i just put a thin lear of bondo over it? and if it is a hole(i think there is a small hole there, its weak about a 1-2 inch hole i think.) so if it is a hole , do i just put bondo over it and sand it down and make it look good or what? i already got bondo so that wont cost me anything

Please Reply Soon , i wanna repair this today so it dosnt get any worse

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Where is the hole? Is it on an external body panel, under the floor or in part of the chassis or anything structural.

Ideally it is best to repair rust holes by welding in new metal - essential for load-bearing structural areas. If it is cosmetic then you could patch it up quiclky, but it won't be as good as a proper repair.

If the hole is due to water getting in behind something and rusting it out, then it will come back again if you just use filler in the hole. If the rust/hole has started from a paint chip and rusted from the surface, then you could probably fill and paint it and it would last quite well.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
its on the back fender right by the passengers door , i think it must of started by paint chipping cuz theres no signs of water getting in there ?? , im gonna get my dad 2 get some gas for him garage heater and fix it in there i hope ,it shouldent take no longer then 1-2 hours if that .. thanks for the help bro!!

·
Registered
8,700 Posts
I would sand all the rust out of it then use some POR-15 on it, then smooth it with some filler, then you shouldnt have to worry about it again. I think this last months LRM had a topic about using POR-15 read that for some ideas.

·
Registered
10,737 Posts
depending on the size of the hole bondo should work....even though i hate the stuff it is a cheap fix

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
yes you do have to sand it, sanding not just only removes dirt and grim but it cleans the surface on which bondo will stick to, there for keeping there longer

·
KTownSwangin
8,664 Posts
If you want to do it to last your gonna have to spot blast the rust off the surface and feather the paint and undercoat back to leave enough room to apply filler,after cleaning all the rust from the surface you would want to first use a thin layer of fiberglass reinforced filler,then follow that with a thin layer of body filler then add a primer and topcoat to seal it in,if you just leave the bondo exposed it will get moisture in it and go to shit and also the reason to feather the paint back is because its not a good idea to have fillers overtop paint because it dosent bond to it very well.

·
Registered
28 Posts
the way i know to fix that is to sand the rust as much as you can and then use some allmetal its like bondo but stronger then use the POR15 and so forth

·
KTownSwangin
8,664 Posts
Originally posted by josep@Dec 23 2003, 09:01 PM
the way i know to fix that is to sand the rust as much as you can and then use some allmetal its like bondo but stronger then use the POR15 and so forth
if you just sand the rust thier will still be small amounts of rust in the pores of the surface which can come back to haunt you,if you just want to sand it or wire brush it and slap some filler on top and call it a day then go for it,but if you want to half ass job on your car,thats on you homie. ;) :cool:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts