LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I HAVE A 350 TPI AND I AM SOON TO BUY A TRANNY BUT I'M NOT SURE WHAT TO GO WITH, I DONT CARE FOR TOP SPEED I JUST WANT SOME GOOD TORQUE, THE ENGINE IS GOING IN MY DAILY 81 COUPE DEVILLE AND I WILL BE RUNNING 14'S ON IT IF THAT CHANGES ANYTHING, ALSO I WAS WONDERING IF DIFFERENT TRANNYS ARE BETTER ON THE FREEWAY V.S. THE HOOD?

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Use a 700R4 a 350 turbo or 400 will work but they will wind high on the freeway.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
*** You can use any one of those with no problems what so ever ..I would use a 350turbo because you dont need the overdrive & they are the cheapest to have any work done to them just in case ...... if your looking to get torque you need to build your engine for that , you could get better performance from your new tranny by installing a B&M stall converter (2000rpm stall) about $150 ... and by installing a simple B&M shift kit - $30 ... you can use better tranny fluid like "Redline"...A good tranny cooler- $50 - unless you have a 4 core radiator with it built in .., That should do it for you ... Hope that helped .....You could put in a "RV" cam inthat 305 -- that will waken it up ALOT.....

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
those are good tranny's that were recommended homie.

i agree with s.s. on the 350T.

700R are nice but you need to build them to handle power, from what i've seen they are very problematic, especially in high power engines.

for your motor it may be fine but if you ever need work done on a 700R $$$$$$ be prepared.

get a 350T and do a rear diff swap, then you won't have an winding.

:cheesy: ,

cc

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
I have a 350 chevy with a 350t tranny in my 84 coupe and it winds high on the highway, and thetranny is new so it dont have no probs shiftn.If you use a 700r4 the car will shift better and it wont wind as high on the freeway, this means less stress on the engine and better gas mileage you will also have a faster take off.As for their durabillity , unless youre makin over 300 hp the 700r4 wont ever give you any problems. Even over 300hp it wont if you arent constantly racing it.They came in Cameros and Firebirds from the 80s the same car your TPI engine MAY have come from. I m swappin out the 350 Turbo ,the 700r4 is an updated version of what came in your Lac anyway.

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
Originally posted by Ulysses 2@Sep 20 2003, 01:11 PM
I have a 350 chevy with a 350t tranny in my 84 coupe and it winds high on the highway, and thetranny is new so it dont have no probs shiftn.If you use a 700r4 the car will shift better and it wont wind as high on the freeway, this means less stress on the engine and better gas mileage you will also have a faster take off.As for their durabillity , unless youre makin over 300 hp the 700r4 wont ever give you any problems. Even over 300hp it wont if you arent constantly racing it.They came in Cameros and Firebirds from the 80s the same car your TPI engine MAY have come from. I m swappin out the 350 Turbo ,the 700r4 is an updated version of what came in your Lac anyway.
homie, can you update this thread when you drop the 700r in? homies have had nothing but problems here.

they stick with 350t and do a rear end swap. this is exactly what i did. no more winding going over 55.

cc

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
It shouldn't wind high on the freeway with a 350/350 combo. Either your tires are too small or the rear end gears are too low. TH350 gives great performance handling. Even if you run a 383 stroker that is supercharged and making 450hp, it will last about 5 years of usage before it blows. TH400 takes alot of power from the motor and should be used if you have a big motor and making some power. It would last longer though.

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
Originally posted by 1LOWCHERO@Sep 20 2003, 04:49 PM
It shouldn't wind high on the freeway with a 350/350 combo. Either your tires are too small or the rear end gears are too low. TH350 gives great performance handling. Even if you run a 383 stroker that is supercharged and making 450hp, it will last about 5 years of usage before it blows. TH400 takes alot of power from the motor and should be used if you have a big motor and making some power. It would last longer though.
he's running 14's homie.

i have 13's, i have a 350t and rear end swap with a high gear, before when i would hit 55, i was actually at 42-44, and the difference would increase the higher i went.

since then no problems.

cc

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Yeah thats what I'm talking about. Your wheels and rear end aren't stock. Your rolling slower than what you should be at cause your wheels are too small and or the rear end gears are too low (high ratio). My chero has 3.55 gears with 14" wheels and at 55 on the gauge is actually 50 clocked. But its taching at 3,000 rpm. The redline is at 9,000 rpm but thats another story.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts