LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
901 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm looking at buying this 1979 monte carlo and it is sayed to be a factory 3 speed (stick) car.i do know that they did make them up to 79 but they are RARE AS SHIT!!
i just want to make sure it is a factory 3 speed car and i know there is a way to run the vin to find out for sure but i'm not sure what numbers/letters to look for or where to match them up when i do find them..
i have heard that the numbers/letters on the tranny will match up to numbers/letters on the vin tag in a certain area on it but i'm not sure how true that is..
if anyone has accurate info on this matter please help me out..thanks alot

·
Registered
24,862 Posts
Hmmm, best bet would be the build codes in the trunk (sticker on underside of trunk)... those will tell you everything the car came with.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by biggeazy-e@Oct 10 2007, 09:46 PM~8972855
Hmmm, best bet would be the build codes in the trunk (sticker on underside of trunk)... those will tell you everything the car came with.
do you know what website to find out what codes to look for there?

i have also heard that there will be numbers on the tail shaft of the tranny that match some of the numbers in the vin but i don't know how true that is either

·
Registered
24,862 Posts
Originally posted by 85CADDYFIED@Oct 10 2007, 10:54 PM~8972933
do you know what website to find out what codes to look for there?

Hmmm, I had a site a while ago, I'll see if I can find it, and if it had codes as late as 1979 (it had mostly 60's, early 70's codes..)

·
Registered
24,862 Posts
A few trans codes, check to see if any match?

MO1 Heavy Duty Clutch
MC1 Heavy Duty 3-speed Transmission
M10 Overdrive
M11 Floor Shift Transmission, '71+
M13 Heavy Duty Transmission
M20 4-Speed Standard Transmission
M21 4-Speed Close Ratio
M22 4-Speed Heavy Duty
M35 Powerglide Automatic 2-Speed
M38 Turbo 350 Automatic
M40 Turbo 400 Automatic

·
Registered
901 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok cool thanks..i was just doing a google on it and came acrossed a gm build sheet decoder (not sure if it is what i need but) on there it said "B=3 speed manual on floor"

1 - 6 of 6 Posts