LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i dont knoe much about amps and stuff all i look at are the watts but i was woundering whats a good amp for 2 kicker L7's i was looking at kicker amps and punch amps what do you guys think i should get thats under $350 and whats mosfet and whats a mono amp and do the sub boxes really work or should i just mount them on how ever i knoe its a lot to ask but like i told you all i dont knoe much about it and looking for help thank you all

·
Registered
39 Posts
if you want an amp to power those subs for under 350, you're going to be searching ebay for a long time....

a cheap, but powerful amp is the jblbp1200.1 it'll put out 1200rms at 1 or 2 ohms, www.ikesound.com

a mono amp only has one channel, depending on how you wire your subs determines the resistance to the amp.

do sub boxes really work? is that a trick question? L7's LOVE huge boxes... I would recommend around 4-5 cu ft each if you have the room.. port them at 33 hz... it'll slam, especially with a jbl bp1200.1 on each sub...

·
Registered
7,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
would it have to be a big ass box cuz its going in the back of a 84 monte carlo i dont knoe if i can get a huge box in the trunk i wanna be abel to use the trunk too and as for the mono amp its just your reg amp but only with one ch i thou it was a different sound so you think jblbp1200 would do the job

·
Registered
7,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
what do Farad Capacitors do what roll do they play and isnt the jblbp1200 for only one subs i wanna run both subs help

·
Registered
39 Posts
the nice thing about mono amps, is you don't have to bridge anything. if you have a 2 channel amp, you would bridge the 2 channels to form 1 channel, making it a mono amp. you could run both of those to that amp, series parallel and have a 2 ohm load giving 1200 rms

all capacitors do is hold a charge that releases for a split second, personally, I don't like them, I have another battery in the back of my car.. helps so much...

if you don't want to spend alot of cash, just to buy some 4ga wire and grommets, and upgrade your battery to ground, engine block to ground, transmission to ground, and positive altenator to positive on the battery... that concept is known as The Big 3, or Hyper Grounds... it helps your electrical system alot, I did that and now I have no noticible dimming..

·
Registered
807 Posts
Originally posted by ferns213@Oct 8 2003, 12:53 AM
i dont knoe much about amps and stuff all i look at are the watts but i was woundering whats a good amp for 2 kicker L7's i was looking at kicker amps and punch amps what do you guys think i should get thats under $350 and whats mosfet and whats a mono amp and do the sub boxes really work or should i just mount them on how ever i knoe its a lot to ask but like i told you all i dont knoe much about it and looking for help thank you all
You should feed them anywhere in the range of 1000 watts a piece. But to narrow down an amp choice, you need to let us know what coil config you have.

If you get them in dual 4's, I have the perfect companion amp for them around your price range ;)

·
Registered
7,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
so i could run the 2 L7's on the jbl by its self and it will be kool as for the box they can go in any box that fits the 12" two of them that is

·
Registered
39 Posts
I believe the L7's only run 2ohm DVC... so if you run them series parallel, you'd get a 2 ohm load to the amp giving them 600rms each...

if you plan on forking out some cash, you can get a discontinued Orion XTR Pro 2400d for aroud 700, or a 2500D for around.. 1100-1200....

·
Registered
7,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thats a lil too much $$$ for me at the time but it would still bump the two L7's koo wright?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts