LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a few questions im hoping someone can help me out with...

Im dropping 3500.00 on a system. So far, this is what im working with. . .

Head Unit - Pioneer AVIC-N2
Front Components - OZ Audio
Rear Coax Drivers - OZ Audio
Mid-Bass - 2 RE 8's
Sub- 18" RE SX

Amps:
RE 12.1 for sub
Directed 500/2 for the 8's
Directed A404 for the mids and highs.

Monitors:
x2 5.5" head rest Monitors
7.5" lilliput touchcreen VGA monitor for the PC

PC/Video:
Custom built PC (250watt P/S)
And finally a Game Cube

All of this will be installed in a 1999 suburban. The stock Altenator is 145amps.

My question is, do you think all this is overkill on the stock Altenator and Battery?

Would i benifit from adding an additional battery.

If so, can I wire 2 batteries up w/o an isolator? Or will need a Battery Isolator?

If i can wire two batteries w/o an isolator, how would i accomplish that?

Im willing to get my stock altenator rewound to 200amps, but im not willing to buy a second altenator. Its not in my budget, and everything i typed out is what i have to work with.

thanks in advance for any help i get.
 

·
* MODERATOR*
Joined
·
8,025 Posts
Originally posted by DeAdPhLow@Aug 2 2005, 12:09 PM
Have a few questions im hoping someone can help me out with...

Im dropping 3500.00 on a system. So far, this is what im working with. . .

Head Unit - Pioneer AVIC-N2
Front Components - OZ Audio
Rear Coax Drivers - OZ Audio
Mid-Bass - 2 RE 8's
Sub- 18" RE SX

Amps:
RE 12.1 for sub
Directed 500/2 for the 8's
Directed A404 for the mids and highs.

Monitors:
x2 5.5" head rest Monitors
7.5" lilliput touchcreen VGA monitor for the PC

PC/Video:
Custom built PC (250watt P/S)
And finally a Game Cube

All of this will be installed in a 1999 suburban. The stock Altenator is 145amps.

My question is, do you think all this is overkill on the stock Altenator and Battery?

Would i benifit from adding an additional battery.

If so, can I wire 2 batteries up w/o an isolator? Or will need a Battery Isolator?

If i can wire two batteries w/o an isolator, how would i accomplish that?

Im willing to get my stock altenator rewound to 200amps, but im not willing to buy a second altenator. Its not in my budget, and everything i typed out is what i have to work with.

thanks in advance for any help i get.
[snapback]3526926[/snapback]​
Equipment looks good... :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
As you know I have a 1998 Suburban...
On the drivers side there is an aux. battery tray...
If it is a GMC it may have a plastic storage box you can take out to add the battery tray in...
I run dual MAXX 1S batteries in mine...
The stock alternator is 104 amps and there was an OPTION for a 140 amp alt.
I just bought the option 140amp alt for mine to replace the 104amp...
I work at a GM dealership, so it was cheap to do for now...
If yours has the optional 140amp alt and you add the two big batteries like I did you should be fine...
You will NOT need an isolator...
Just parallel the + terminals from battery to battery, ground each battery to frame...
Run the alt output to the + of the passenger side battery and run the amp wire from the + of the drivers side battery...
I'm going to eventually get a 300amp alt from Excessive Amperage (see sig) later on...
Use all 1/0Ga wire, get it all running and see where you stand...
My install is not done, i have the alt and batteries in so far and all the other equipment is on hand ready to go in...
I should be drawing around 150 amps from the equipment, but since it's not in, I can't give you any "real world" results yet...
I say it will run it, but you may have some current issues running three powerful amps as you will be...
Just do what I'm gonna do, work with what i've got, and if I need a bigger alt to keep up, I'll get one later...
On a side note, you said you didn't want to buy a second alt, but IMO if you buy a h/o alt, you have the stock alt on hand for WHEN the h/o goes out...
Excessive does not charge a core charge, so you can keep your stock alt...
Getting the stock alt rewound is going to cost you more than you think to, keep that in mind...

That's my take on it, good luck and let me know how it turns out, shoot me a PM if you want... :cool:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
411 Posts
Originally posted by Brahma Brian@Aug 2 2005, 12:46 PM
On a side note, you said you didn't want to buy a second alt, but IMO if you buy a h/o alt, you have the stock alt on hand for WHEN the h/o goes out...
Excessive does not charge a core charge, so you can keep your stock alt...
[snapback]3527121[/snapback]​
just curious, are you implying that h/o alt is sure to go out eventually? i just bought one from excessive amperage and i dont want it to die on me any time soon for the money i payed. :uh:
 

·
* MODERATOR*
Joined
·
8,025 Posts
Originally posted by awash242@Aug 2 2005, 01:06 PM
just curious, are you implying that h/o alt is sure to go out eventually? i just bought one from excessive amperage and i dont want it to die on me any time soon for the money i payed. :uh:
[snapback]3527206[/snapback]​
I should have been more clear, but I was home on my lunch break when I posted and I didn't have much time...
ALL alternators fail eventually, thats a fact...
H/O alts normally fail fater than than factory alts...
The big factor is, when you run a H/O alt, you are abusing the hell out of it with a BIG stereo or some form or mass current drawing equipment...
In short, say you have your H/O alt for two years, then one day BAM, it dies, rather than being dead in the water, you will have your stock alt. to put back on...
You know you are AWLAYS broke as hell when something expensive goes out or tears up...

That clear things up?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
562 Posts
I found out yesterday that the N2 has an internal gyroscope that keeps you from watching video on your monitor while your car's moving. As far as I've seen there's no way to circumvent it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21,387 Posts
Originally posted by quadmasta@Aug 2 2005, 12:46 PM
I found out yesterday that the N2 has an internal gyroscope that keeps you from watching video on your monitor while your car's moving.  As far as I've seen there's no way to circumvent it.
[snapback]3527423[/snapback]​
i read that as well. does the N1 have it also?
 

·
* MODERATOR*
Joined
·
8,025 Posts
Originally posted by quadmasta+Aug 2 2005, 01:46 PM-->
I found out yesterday that the N2 has an internal gyroscope that keeps you from watching video on your monitor while your car's moving.  As far as I've seen there's no way to circumvent it.
[snapback]3527423[/snapback]​
[/b]
<!--QuoteBegin-1ofaknd
@Aug 2 2005, 01:50 PM
i read that as well. does the N1 have it also?
[snapback]3527463[/snapback]​
Someone will find a way around that, just give it time... ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
it can be bypassed. . .

And yes the N1 has it as well.

The N1 is a little easier to bypass, but it can be done on both Head Units.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
562 Posts
Originally posted by DeAdPhLow@Aug 2 2005, 12:05 PM
it can be bypassed. . .

And yes the N1 has it as well.

The N1 is a little easier to bypass, but it can be done on both Head Units.
[snapback]3527555[/snapback]​
The N1 has the gyro but only for the navigation. The N2 has a video protection thing that's tied into the gyro.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
411 Posts
Originally posted by Brahma Brian@Aug 2 2005, 01:33 PM
I should have been more clear, but I was home on my lunch break when I posted and I didn't have much time...
ALL alternators fail eventually, thats a fact...
H/O alts normally fail fater than than factory alts...
The big factor is, when you run a H/O alt, you are abusing the hell out of it with a BIG stereo or some form or mass current drawing equipment...
In short, say you have your H/O alt for two years, then one day BAM, it dies, rather than being dead in the water, you will have your stock alt. to put back on...
You know you are AWLAYS broke as hell when something expensive goes out or tears up...

That clear things up?
[snapback]3527337[/snapback]​
yup that clears it up. Assuming that I dont abuse my alt too much with my volume knob, how long do you think my Excessive Alt should last??
 

·
* MODERATOR*
Joined
·
8,025 Posts
Originally posted by awash242@Aug 2 2005, 03:34 PM
yup that clears it up. Assuming that I dont abuse my alt too much with my volume knob, how long do you think my Excessive Alt should last??
[snapback]3528168[/snapback]​
That's like saying...
"how long is my dog gonna live if i feed it the expensive food?"...

;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
411 Posts
Originally posted by Brahma Brian@Aug 2 2005, 03:43 PM
That's like saying...
"how long is my dog gonna live if i feed it the expensive food?"...

;)
[snapback]3528278[/snapback]​
hahaha....i debated whether or not to post that because i was almost positive that you would say something like that. :cool:
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top