1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Yes

O

·
0 Posts
"Gate" comes from the slang name for a "tailgate" pump off a lift gate truck.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
I've known that a gate was another word for a pump for a while now but I didn't know why. Thanks for the info tatoo.

O

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by G-body4life@Aug 17 2006, 11:59 PM~5990994
Its what they used to steal/ barrow before hydraulics were actually made for cars. They also picked up a lot of surplus aircraft parts.
:uh:

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
Originally posted by G-body4life@Aug 17 2006, 08:59 PM~5990994
Its what they used to steal/ barrow before hydraulics were actually made for cars. They also picked up a lot of surplus aircraft parts.
:uh:

O

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by supreme@Aug 18 2006, 03:37 AM~5992223
:confused:
They also picked up a lot of surplus aircraft parts.

that statement doesnt fit in to this topic, or the era of tailgate pumps.

aircraft 50's-late 60's/early 70's
tailgates late 60's/early 70's-present

and of course now aircraft has made a comeback, mostly as a fad. I predict in 2 or 3 years, the only people who will still care about aircraft hydraulics are the ones who cared about it before the fad started. ;) ;) ;)

·
Premium Member
49,409 Posts
Originally posted by TATTOO-76@Aug 18 2006, 06:42 AM~5992693
aircraft  50's-late 60's/early 70's
tailgates  late 60's/early 70's-present

and of course now aircraft has made a comeback, mostly as a fad. I predict in 2 or 3 years, the only people who will still care about aircraft hydraulics are the ones who cared about it before the fad started.  ;)  ;)  ;)
No shit...bumperless G Bodies and Aircraft setups don't quite go hand-n-hand

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Originally posted by tarunhari@Aug 17 2006, 08:54 PM~5989787
Another word for pump?  :uh:
Nope a gate is a porton :biggrin:

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the info tattoo, as usual you came through :)

I think there are alot of people who respect aircraft setups however, but unless people understand them better or are able to get hold of parts more redily, I don't think they will ever be as popular. However, like the adex, maybe someone should remanufacture pescos that are as reliable as adex dumps yet have that old skool sound/look/feel?

Just my $0.02

·
Registered
5,976 Posts
Originally posted by TATTOO-76@Aug 18 2006, 06:42 AM~5992693

and of course now aircraft has made a comeback, mostly as a fad. I predict in 2 or 3 years, the only people who will still care about aircraft hydraulics are the ones who cared about it before the fad started.  ;)  ;)  ;)
Thank you for correcting me. ;)

·
Candies, flakes & pearls!
15,502 Posts
Originally posted by TATTOO-76@Aug 18 2006, 05:42 AM~5992693

and of course now aircraft has made a comeback, mostly as a fad. I predict in 2 or 3 years, the only people who will still care about aircraft hydraulics are the ones who cared about it before the fad started. ;)  ;)  ;)
I agree. Aircraft hydraulics designs are not very pratical for the average Lowrider. Not even for me, and I I have a fair amount of knowledge and great access to help.

I think their for guys who have patience (which I dont), and a desire for great detail.

I'll tell yuou one thing. If someone was able to remanufacture and improve these old Pesco designs along with making them cost effective and maintainable for the consumer...they would make a killing.

Also, I'm surprised how some of you did not know where the term "gate" came from. It's old school slang.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts