LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, i know the subject has been up plenty of times, but i have a quick questions, reading around and such I'm going to try and chrage my batts off my alternator.

By installing a noid between each battery, i can close the noids, and that will seperate the batteries, allowing me to charge them at 12 volts, running a cable to each battery from the alternator should slowly trickle each battery somewhat, better then nothing, i'm pretty switch happy.

What i was wondering was,...would i have to ground every battery in order to do this, but allow the ground to also turn on and off in order to get my 36 volts?
Simply put,...if i grounded every battery to the frame,instead of just the last one, would i still get my 36 volts becuase the batteries are still linked? Or would i have to shut off the grounds when i hit switches, and turn them back on to charge??

·
Face Puncher
25,975 Posts
way to much wiring and logistics involved..

just buy a street charger, it'll be cheaper

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Originally posted by 216RIDER@Nov 25 2003, 07:27 PM
way to much wiring and logistics involved..

just buy a street charger, it'll be cheaper
i agree, sounds like a fire hazard. :0 :0

·
Registered
379 Posts
;) That should give you an idea of what your talking about doing. Special thanks to who drew this up :biggrin: ;)

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Originally posted by carvr2@Nov 25 2003, 10:16 PM
try http://home.comcast.net/~thonnie/SolenoidBoard.jpg
Hey, that's mine. :) Thanks for the props.

Yes, everything will have to be grounded separately. So I used relays for charging which takes care of turning my "parallel off-and-on. And the solenoids between batts activate each time I hit a switch.

And for those that thinks it's "too much" I've been running this type of set-up with 4 and 5 batts since '96. Works perfectly. But just like a streetcharger, if you don't drive your car much, you'll need an alternate means of charging batts.

·
Registered
544 Posts
a cars stock alt is not meant to charge even the battery
in the car let alone more in the trunk.

when you buy a new alt there is a peice of paper inside the box that tells you this.you should charge your batts firstor you can overwork the alt.a street charger creates its own charging current seperatly from the alternator.

just my opinion

·
Registered
379 Posts
You do need a HEAVY DUTY alternator and I would start with some fresh batts , so the alternator can Maintain the batterys charge ( That would mean you can throw in some truck starter batterys ( get better cca's much faster response . Their cheaper around hear too. ;)

·
Registered
379 Posts
Why not a huge power inverter hooked up to a 48v or more charger then run the series parralell ( would actually cost more than a street charger) :(

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Originally posted by carvr2@Nov 26 2003, 08:14 PM
Why not a huge power inverter hooked up to a 48v or more charger then run the series parralell ( would actually cost more than a street charger) :(
You're right, the inverter it takes to power a 48-volt charger would cost a lot more than a street charger.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Originally posted by dirtywhiteboy66@Nov 26 2003, 02:32 PM
FIRE HAZARD :angry:
Yeah, right! And the rest of the shit we have in our trunks is nice and safe?!

Anyway, that's why you do good installs and keep a fire extinguisher.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Originally posted by lowlow90@Nov 26 2003, 06:19 PM
a cars stock alt is not meant to charge even the battery
in the car let alone more in the trunk.

when you buy a new alt there is a peice of paper inside the box that tells you this.you should charge your batts firstor you can overwork the alt.a street charger creates its own charging current seperatly from the alternator.

just my opinion
This is true. Alt's actually trickle charge your battery. If you notice in the diagram, I also have a built-in charger that I plug in when I'm home on the weekends.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Originally posted by carvr2@Nov 26 2003, 08:11 PM
You do need a HEAVY DUTY alternator and I would start with some fresh batts , so the alternator can Maintain the batterys charge ( That would mean you can throw in some truck starter batterys ( get better cca's much faster response . Their cheaper around hear too. ;)
My 140-amp alternator does the trick pretty well. It has been for the past 3 years. And the 120-amp I had in the Cougar did the trick the 3 or 4 years prior to that.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Ya see you have a heavy duty alternator. Not me I just use 4 , 2-6 amp chargers when I need to. Maybe next year Ill get some starting batterys and a serious alternator and I'll set mine up too ;)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts