LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
the "rate" of a spring is the weight needed to compress it by 1".
the rate starts to rise as a coil gets near the end of its movment.
So while your cut spring will theoreticaly have the same rate, because it will only have half the travel it will reach the rising rate point sooner [this is why shorter coils give a stiffer ride].

·
Registered
11,705 Posts
listen to this...

You have to hands and two arms... if you cut half of your arm off, will you be able to carry to same weight as the other? I don't think so... a spring is the same way... cut the spring in half and it will carry less weight... It will not retain the same tonnage... A spring is formed into a 3 1/2 or 5 ton... once you cut the spring... that spring is no longer its original tonnage. Therefore, the end result would be... you end up with about a 2 ton... or 3 1/2 ton coil... depending on how much you cut on it.

Short stacks are made to that size tonnage... When have you seen a 5 ton short stack? never... why? because you cannot get that much tonnage on a short stack.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
:biggrin: arms thing is good..........
not sure how you rate coils in US.......here a "1 ton" spring would be one with a rate of 1 ton [i.e 1 ton would compress it 1"], so we both said the same thing in a different way [half a stack will take half the weight to compress it]

·
Registered
4,908 Posts
Originally posted by Nacho Individuals LA@Nov 7 2003, 08:25 AM
listen to this...

You have to hands and two arms... if you cut half of your arm off, will you be able to carry to same weight as the other? I don't think so... a spring is the same way... cut the spring in half and it will carry less weight... It will not retain the same tonnage... A spring is formed into a 3 1/2 or 5 ton... once you cut the spring... that spring is no longer its original tonnage. Therefore, the end result would be... you end up with about a 2 ton... or 3 1/2 ton coil... depending on how much you cut on it.

Short stacks are made to that size tonnage... When have you seen a 5 ton short stack? never... why? because you cannot get that much tonnage on a short stack.
If I took a 5 ton spring and cut it to 5 or 6 turns would it be a big difference than using 3 tons?

·
Registered
11,705 Posts
Originally posted by S10lifted+Nov 8 2003, 08:32 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (S10lifted @ Nov 8 2003, 08:32 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--Nacho Individuals LA@Nov 7 2003, 08:25 AM
listen to this...

If I took a 5 ton spring and cut it to 5 or 6 turns would it be a big difference than using 3 tons?[/b][/quote]
why would you want to do that?

PEOPLE!!! Whenever you buy a spring and cut coils off... you no longer have that "ton" spring you bought... Please understand that...

If you buy a 5 ton spring and cut two turns off... you might as well have bought a 3 1/2 or 4 ton spring...

Springs are design a certain way, that's why they come as 13-15 inch springs... you cut inches off of it, you are cutting Lbs off of it... You no longer have the original design...

Now, if you grab a 3 1/2 and put a full stack in their... you will have 3 1/2 tons on it up front, not 2 1/2 not 2...

And as I have said since I joined this message board a year ago... 5 tons are over kill!!!

P.S. i am not pissed off, I just talk like a damn politician... LOL...

·
Registered
15,195 Posts
Originally posted by Nacho Individuals LA+Nov 9 2003, 07:26 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Nacho Individuals LA @ Nov 9 2003, 07:26 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by [email protected] 8 2003, 08:32 PM
<!--QuoteBegin--Nacho Individuals LA
@Nov 7 2003, 08:25 AM
listen to this...

If I took a 5 ton spring and cut it to 5 or 6 turns would it be a big difference than using 3 tons?

PEOPLE!!! Whenever you buy a spring and cut coils off... you no longer have that "ton" spring you bought... Please understand that...

If you buy a 5 ton spring and cut two turns off... you might as well have bought a 3 1/2 or 4 ton spring...

Springs are design a certain way, that's why they come as 13-15 inch springs... you cut inches off of it, you are cutting Lbs off of it... You no longer have the original design...

Now, if you grab a 3 1/2 and put a full stack in their... you will have 3 1/2 tons on it up front, not 2 1/2 not 2...

And as I have said since I joined this message board a year ago... 5 tons are over kill!!!

P.S. i am not pissed off, I just talk like a damn politician... LOL...[/b][/quote]
youve got my vote! Legalize hydro's! :)

·
Registered
4,908 Posts
Originally posted by Nacho Individuals LA+Nov 9 2003, 03:26 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Nacho Individuals LA @ Nov 9 2003, 03:26 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
listen to this...

P.S. i am not pissed off, I just talk like a damn politician... LOL...[/b][/quote]
I understand what your saying about the springs. I just wanted to know if it was worth going with the stiffer spring cause I want to cut it down so I can still lay out at a nice height and be able to hop too. That is why I was asking about the 5 tons. Just like you said when you cut them down they take less weight to compress them. So the way I see it is that I could get a better hop using them versus some 3 tons cut down to be like 2 tons or something. I just wanted everyones input.

·
Registered
11,705 Posts
Originally posted by S10lifted+Nov 9 2003, 04:18 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (S10lifted @ Nov 9 2003, 04:18 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by -Nacho Individuals [email protected] 9 2003, 03:26 PM
listen to this...

I understand what your saying about the springs. I just wanted to know if it was worth going with the stiffer spring cause I want to cut it down so I can still lay out at a nice height and be able to hop too. That is why I was asking about the 5 tons. Just like you said when you cut them down they take less weight to compress them. So the way I see it is that I could get a better hop using them versus some 3 tons cut down to be like 2 tons or something. I just wanted everyones input.[/b][/quote]
never what type of car, engine, and setup do you have?

·
Registered
4,908 Posts
V8, Cutlass, and it is single right now with a #11 head but, I'm thinking about double pumping it. 72 volts but, I might up them for hopping. Oh and it isn't going to be a comp. hopper just a street car that can get a few inches.

Last edited by S10lifted at Nov 9 2003, 05:08 PM

·
Registered
10,888 Posts
Originally posted by Nacho Individuals LA+Nov 9 2003, 11:26 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Nacho Individuals LA @ Nov 9 2003, 11:26 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
listen to this...

5 tons are framebreakers!!!!!! lol

anywayz..........could you use a hydraulic spring compressor to compress the springs?????

that way you would have to cut off any coils on let's say 3 or 4 ton springs?????

i wanted to do this but i wasn't sure if i could???

·
Registered
11,705 Posts
Originally posted by SWITCHCRAFT+Nov 10 2003, 01:08 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (SWITCHCRAFT @ Nov 10 2003, 01:08 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by -Nacho Individuals [email protected] 9 2003, 11:26 PM
listen to this...

anywayz..........could you use a hydraulic spring compressor to compress the springs?????

that way you would have to cut off any coils on let's say 3 or 4 ton springs?????

i wanted to do this but i wasn't sure if i could???[/b][/quote]
yes you can because the spring will then break into the size its suppose too...

·
2GUNZ
28,221 Posts
Shit I got 4 1/2 Pro Hoppers and my coils were cut 1 and 1/2 turns and I can not get those SOB's to compress any further. And it is starting to piss me off. But I can not really hop it any more than I have because I have not re-inforced it yet.

·
Registered
11,705 Posts
Originally posted by dirtywhiteboy66@Nov 12 2003, 12:40 AM
Shit I got 4 1/2 Pro Hoppers and my coils were cut 1 and 1/2 turns and I can not get those SOB's to compress any further. And it is starting to piss me off. But I can not really hop it any more than I have because I have not re-inforced it yet.
where are you from? Man, Majestics chapters pop up everywhere all of a sudden... :)

·
Registered
10,888 Posts
Originally posted by Nacho Individuals LA+Nov 11 2003, 05:26 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Nacho Individuals LA @ Nov 11 2003, 05:26 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by [email protected] 10 2003, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by -Nacho Individuals [email protected] 9 2003, 11:26 PM
listen to this...

i wanted to do this but i wasn't sure if i could???
yes you can because the spring will then break into the size its suppose too...[/b][/quote]
i meant to say wouldn't have to cut them.....anywayz.........

does it matter what size press to use????

for instance on 3 ton springs could i use a bigger press than 3 tons???

or would i have to use a 3 ton press???

oh and how would i know how much to compress them my guess would be to compress them just enough to fit inside the a arms?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts