LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
998 Posts
you get side tracked and forget about it? or did you preheat it to broil? that sucks big time.. buy another one yet?

·
Banned
49,003 Posts
were you trying to dry the paint? :tears:

Last edited by the_cat at Nov 9 2003, 05:27 AM

·
Registered
21,387 Posts
I don't see the need to use an oven to dry your paint. Just cover it and leave it in a cool dry place. Depending on the type of paint, it shouldn't take that long to dry.

After i apply the first wetcoat, I usually wait 24 hours for lacquers, and 2-3 days for enamels, acrylics are very similar to lacquers in their drying time btw.

Then after the final wetcoat, I allow it to cure for at least 4-5 days for lacquers, and good 10 days for enamels.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Maybe I can help you here, don't bake them in the oven, at all!
Instead, have you got an oil heater and some 2mm thick plywood? If so after I spray my models I transfer them from my spraying rack by putting my fingers on the inside of the roof, then put them on the 2mm thick plywood sheet that I have to size for the oil heater, then I put the heater on about mdeium-medium hot. Leave it for about 10 minutes, come back and turn it down a bit, then leave if for about 30 minutes, then come back again, make sure its ok, if it is then I just leave if for 2 hours or something, and it keep the shine for me most of the time :dunno:

Whatever anyone says about baking them, don't do it. That's really tough luck man, what will you do with the rest of that `65 kit?

·
Registered
772 Posts
has anyone ever try a microwave.. . . . . . .

I did it, and it made my chrome spray paint shine a lil' better.
sumthingn you can try? :dunno:

·
Registered
3,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Originally posted by Purpura Delujo@Nov 10 2003, 05:41 AM
Maybe I can help you here, don't bake them in the oven, at all!
Instead, have you got an oil heater and some 2mm thick plywood? If so after I spray my models I transfer them from my spraying rack by putting my fingers on the inside of the roof, then put them on the 2mm thick plywood sheet that I have to size for the oil heater, then I put the heater on about mdeium-medium hot. Leave it for about 10 minutes, come back and turn it down a bit, then leave if for about 30 minutes, then come back again, make sure its ok, if it is then I just leave if for 2 hours or something, and it keep the shine for me most of the time :dunno:

Whatever anyone says about baking them, don't do it. That's really tough luck man, what will you do with the rest of that `65 kit?
yer, im ganna keep the rest of it and try and find another shell , for every one else , yes i was tryin to dry the paint , i do have another 65 and i am goin to buy another kit , i dont have time to wait 24 hours for paint to dry , i find bakin em in the oven doesnt take the shine out of the paint and hey thats what 2-3 coats of gloss is for ;) and the oven was a lil hot , i intended to keep it in there for the 30 seconds take it out let it cool and put it back in then out , cool, back in sorta thing , but of well ya get that ay , it was bound to happen sooner or later lol

·
Registered
21,387 Posts
Originally posted by JmG@Nov 9 2003, 11:24 PM
all my paint dries quick.... like within 10-15 minutes. and its all automotive paint, great shine!
that might be, but just because it dry to the touch, doesn't mean it's fully cured. There is a difference. ;)

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
Originally posted by 1ofaknd@Nov 9 2003, 12:31 PM
I don't see the need to use an oven to dry your paint.
EXACTLY!!! :twak:

JMG
all my paint dries quick.... like within 10-15 minutes. and its all automotive paint, great shine!
once again..... EXACTY!!!!!! :ugh:

·
Registered
743 Posts
Originally posted by The Mad Modeler@Nov 9 2003, 10:02 PM
still dont know how much of a hurry you guys are in because i did this in 3 hours paint and all with it just sitting in the shop drying on its own. and thats using nasty ass Boyd's paint even. which is gooey as hell.

Keep in mind that you live in desert also, the guys in humid areas may indeed have problems with drying.
Instead of putting it in an oven some guys use a food dehydrator. THese work at low temps and can dry a body in a few hours.
D

1 - 20 of 32 Posts