LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just wanted a little bit of help with this.

Im 15 years old, 16 in november, and im planin on makin my 1992 dodge dakota a lowrider... Im gonna be puttin some hydros in it, and I just wanted to know what a 17 year old(when ill actually able to drive on my own at 17) should be paying for hydros. My dad said hes pay for rims.

Thanks for the help

·
Registered
7,928 Posts
lol, it depends on wat you want your ride to do? do u want to 3 wheel? or just fbss (front back side to side)?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well 3 wheel would be pretty dope. but I also want it to go FBSS, and I dont really want to be hopping it that much only on special occaisions.

·
Registered
9,656 Posts
Originally posted by mtb_rider04@Sep 11 2005, 04:49 AM~3791103
well 3 wheel would be pretty dope. but I also want it to go FBSS, and I dont really want to be hopping it that much only on special occaisions.
we all say stuff like that in the begining ... i'm not gonna hop it ...next think you know were swinging it and stuff breaks ... or they bend and you just dont notice

get another beater to drive daily for work and commuting ... then build your truck ... and please believe from experience ... do it right the first time ..and dont drive your project everyday ... (it will look way better when you take it out to cruise) and you wont keep replacing broken stuff, motors ,rear ends, drivelines :( and chipping off your wanted parts fund i.e. juice system ...

not being a jerk or nothing but once you got the kit paid for ... you still gotta get batteries, battery cable, soleniods (dont use the block styles unless your a pyro maniac) did i mention battery racks and pump racks? and on top of that reinforcing(unless your a good welder/ steel fabicator and got lots of time)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
alright thanks a lot for the help.
yeah now that I think about it, it would probably be a good idea if i got another beater car just incase.

thanks a lot

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
you know what? when i was 15 i wanted a lowrider, I got one at 16. Now im 27 and i still play with lowrider cars and trucks. Youll never be able to get away from it once you start. Its weird. ask any of the old school rollers. thell tell you the same. welcome to the club and im sure youll get a lowrider soon.

·
Registered
17,780 Posts
i was 15 when i bought my first juiced car a 1985 regal

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
yeah that looks pretty good.
Ive been into lowriders for the past 2-3 years now. cant get over them.

Anyone go check out the Lanlgey cruise in this weekend?

·
Registered
786 Posts
the way i see it is for you to start off with a simple 2 pump 4 dump black set up get you some refurbished batteries and have a ball..unless you have some one their to teach certain things your gonna end up breaking things thats part of hydraulics

·
Registered
24 Posts
Well since I have a '93 dakota, I'm going to chime in here. Mines bagged, but in general the work isn't too different.

1st: Dakota ball joints SUCK. MOOG makes some good heavy duty replacements. You can get em from NAPA.

Your front crossmember hangs about 2" lower that the rest of your frame, and the exhaust x-over pipe hangs a little below that. If you wanna truly lay frame you gotta z the crossmember and move it up.

Your gas tank also hangs about a 1/2" below the frame in the rear. Move that up unless you wanna catch you truck on fire.

If you do the work yourself I would suggest NOT buying a premade notch kit for the rear. I did and it did not fit good at all. It wasn't even long enough the reach the bottom of the frame in front of the axle. Mine was from Silverstar Customs.

What size/type of rims do you want? Dakotas need a very high front wheel drive offset to tuck. If you want wires check out www.cruznlow.com this guy has a '96 i believe(same body style anyway) with wires. You can see how they fit and what size he has.

That picture of the other dakota is a guy of streetsource.com, DakotaHP. Really cool guy, and he has some skills. Awesome truck.

Here is another 2nd gen dakota tht has hydros: Http://www.streetsourcemag.com/Profile.asp...ProfileID=11697

Like ice64berg said, it will be easier to work on your truck if you have something else to drive. My truck is my daily, so whenever I tear it apart I have to have it back together for the drive to work monday. As for haveing another daily, and just cruzing the truck on the weekends I'm not sure abuot that. I've never had hydros before, but I knw a few people that drive with them everyday. I guess it depends on the quality of the compnenets and more importantly the installation. I for one couln't imagine driving anything every day that didn't have some sort of switches.

Anyways, I hope some of this info helps you out. If you have anymoe questions, I'd be glad to try to answer what I can.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
ok thanks a lot.
I dont think ill be working on the truck myself. im probably gonna bring it into a shop cause ive got no idea howto do any of that crap and i dont feel like screwin anything up.
I was thinkin about some 20s maybe some 18s? but chrome rims, i dont want wires on it.

Also I was thinkin about maybe selling the truck and maybe getting another truck thats made more for lowriding?

·
Registered
6,099 Posts
Originally posted by Long Roof@Sep 11 2005, 03:48 PM~3793822
Body drop and bag it...

FUCK THAT....................................................................................

13'S AND 4 PUMPS..... AND STILL NO ONE ANSWERED HIS QUESTIONS..

YOU WILL PAY AROUND 1,300

AND DONT, BUY CCE................. OR YOU WILL BE FIXING SHIT ALL THE TIME

BUY SHOWTIME, OR REDS.. I'D GO WITH REDS...

DONT BUY CCE

1 - 20 of 56 Posts