LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
7,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to attempt to pull the frame out from underneath the body on my 64 Impala, So i can send the frame to get reinforced. This will be my first time doing this. Anyone got any tips. Please post PICS if you have any. THANX IN ADVANCE. :)

·
Registered
7,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
TTT

·
Registered
3,670 Posts
there's a lot of body off's happening around here. Check project rides section :biggrin:

·
Registered
253 Posts
first, the bumpers, front and rear need to be taken off. then, if you do not have a lift, you need to take off the hood. disconnect all of the wiring and rag joint on the steering shaft. disconnect all hoses. if there is a motor and trans, you can leave them on the frame to make it easier to pull later. once everything is disconnected, take out the body bolts. they may be a little difficult to unscrew, but u always have the option to cut the bolt or the head off. once the bolts are out, (impalas have 8 bolts for a hardtop and 10 for a 'vert. if you do hot have a lift, air jacks work just as well. if you do not have those either, you will need to use a jacking system that will work for you. if you do not have a lift, don't do it by yourself. you can always get about 8-10 buddies to pick it up.

·
SPELL CHECK
21,743 Posts
Originally posted by supersportluvr@Aug 25 2005, 06:57 AM~3688712
you can always get about 8-10 buddies to pick it up.
What if you don't have friends? ;)

No, good description though. :thumbsup:

There is also a thread for making your own car dolly around here somewhere too. :cool:

·
Registered
7,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanx everyone, You all have been very helpful.

·
Registered
23,424 Posts
Originally posted by Notorious76@Aug 25 2005, 12:51 PM~3689469
a lift and a rotissory make like easy.

Lifts work wonders. :biggrin: But I have done it with 2 engine hoists also. ;)

O

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by Loco Low Tucson 520@Aug 25 2005, 03:44 PM~3690688
how much for one of those rotissure things?

I paid $1300 for the one in the pic, its OK, but not as good as my new one which was only a couple hundred more.

·
Registered
3,620 Posts
Originally posted by timdog57@Aug 25 2005, 02:11 PM~3690925
Lifts work wonders.  :biggrin:  But I have done it with 2 engine hoists also.  ;)

:angry: :angry: F*cker

:biggrin:

Attachments

·
Registered
3,620 Posts
Originally posted by pink63impala@Aug 25 2005, 10:31 AM~3689324
IF YOUR ALL ALONE TRY IT LIKE THIS

I was thinking of doing something like that when I put my body back on but I dont know if I'd trust those kind of blocks

·
Registered
23,424 Posts
Originally posted by OneStopCustoms@Aug 25 2005, 04:17 PM~3690957
Sweet pics, I love seeing those hehehe...
hey timmay, is that 110v or 220? the lift?

220V

:biggrin:

·
Registered
317 Posts
there's some good pics and info on here. when i pulled my frame out i used a hydraulic floor jack, some wooden blocks, 2x4s and cinder blocks. take everything off that you can (hood, fenders, seats would make it lighter and easier). i just nailed two 2x4s together to support the body, and jacked the body up bit by bit and rested the boards on the cinder blocks. make sure to put the blocks outside the wheels though, i know it seems obvious but it'd suck to get the body all the way up then have a block in the way of the tire. then i let all the air out of the tires, and pulled the frame out. not too hard, but you might have to lift the body real high to get the frame to fit underneath it. good luck, post pics and be safe.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts