LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought this paint today and read the instruction book twice and everytime I read it I questioned my self about painting with it. I have never sprayed nothing but enamel paint. The paint has a metallic (untinted)neutral base, a candee mid-coat untinted neutral base and a sun-bloct final cleer. I don't understand what steps I should take between each coat. Should I spray the metallic base on with medium coats letting each coat tack before i spray the other, then while that is tacky spray the candee base with several medium coats untill i get the color i prefer, then while it is tack spray the clear with several medium wet coats? I also have flakes, when and howe much should I put in the clear?This is all going on a bike .If I confussed you think about how I feel. Help me out if I need it.
here is what I got

·
Registered
949 Posts
Well you stepped right in the deep end and even though its goin on a bike you need very good skills for these kinds of paints ..
base coat (non catylised) paint will require medium coats and let dry to touch usually 5-10mins before recoating then 30mins before changin paints ..
clear coats you will spray medium - wet and will require more flash time than base usually 10-25mins ,, I softly touch the clear in an inconspicous place to test ,, It will go from wet to stringy and when It gets tacky you can recoat ..
if you got enough paint a few small objects first to get the idea as these types of paints require very good gun setup and technique for a totally even application ..
what kind of flake ya got ..?

·
Registered
3,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
its #80-220 it was the smallest of the two they offered

·
Registered
10,888 Posts
the best way you can shoot this stuff is to spray test panels.........

and RECORD EVERYTHING................

things like psi at gun when shot........

how many coats applied of each layer
temperature of room
dry time etc.

fogot to add gun distance is important too

Last edited by SWITCHCRAFT at Aug 13 2003, 11:24 PM

·
Registered
3,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well I'm doing it tomorrow, wish me luck

1 - 7 of 7 Posts