LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I gathered a buncha friends together that want to keep fixing up their rides and started tearing the body of my car apart. EVERY damn time I take something off it just reveals more rust. I'm scared to take anything more apart becuase I know there is more rust hiding behind it. This is never going to end. And what makes it worse is I have no garage! Any of you guys get stuck in this situation? My car is nearly completely stripped in the parking lot of my apartment complex here. This is becomming insanely frustrating. Two steps forward becomes 3 steps backwards. I do have a sandblaster, air compressor, shitload of tools I"ve accumulated etc. I just don't see being able to tear it down to the point of being able to get every last bit of rust. Anyone have any uplifting advice? I'm about to just take everything and put it IN the car, lay the hood over the front end and let it sit for 3 - 4 months while I get the money to put a garage together on some land I purchased. this sucks. I'm stuck...

·
49,409 Posts
Get a welder and some sheetmetal.........it's not really too tough to insert some panels.......can you find a donor car with a decent body?

L8

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nope. Donor cars for a 63 Dodge polara are hard to come by. But it's not so much just the body panels itself. The entire engine bay has spots everywhere. I was just told today to take mask off some electronics, carb, alternator and whatnot and just try and cleanly blast the bay. and lay down primer and paint. It's going to look goofy as hell but I'm going to mask up all the chrome, windows etc and just go nuts with primer and the sand blaster... I have access to a body shop with all the good stuff on the weekends so I'll finish it. I was just gettin a little down becuase it's been depressingly cold and seeing all the work to be done in the cold makes it worse. heh. thanks for the suggestion.

·
Registered
10,888 Posts
if it were my ride i would..............

take pics of the car before sandbalsting...........take pics after sandblasting...........after primer..........
all before and after pics..........it will bring you much joy when it is finished.........

i would also go buy one of those big portable garages for like $200........get some extra tarp's to throw on the sides.........or spend a little more for a fully enclosed portable garage..........

i've done work in the winter before..........it sorta sucks but i was happy i could JUST DO IT :biggrin:

good luck man

·
Registered
5,569 Posts
Originally posted by liquid@Nov 10 2003, 12:02 PM
Nope. Donor cars for a 63 Dodge polara are hard to come by. But it's not so much just the body panels itself. The entire engine bay has spots everywhere. I was just told today to take mask off some electronics, carb, alternator and whatnot and just try and cleanly blast the bay. and lay down primer and paint. It's going to look goofy as hell but I'm going to mask up all the chrome, windows etc and just go nuts with primer and the sand blaster... I have access to a body shop with all the good stuff on the weekends so I'll finish it. I was just gettin a little down becuase it's been depressingly cold and seeing all the work to be done in the cold makes it worse. heh. thanks for the suggestion.
haha, good luck, my buddy has a 67 Belvedere and he wrote off the front end. I had to tie down the hood and pull it on a frame rack to straighten it out!

·
Registered
558 Posts
THERES SOME PAINT SHIT CALLED POUR15 OR SOMETHING AND IT NOT ONLY STICKS TO RUST BUT IT COVERS IT AND DOES NOT ALLOW ANY MORE TO FORM, I'M SURE YOU COULD USE IT AS LIKE A PRIMER AND THEN PAINT OVER IT, ITS SPELLED POUR OR PORE I DONT REMMEMBER BUT JUST RESEARCH IT

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Por 15 is not as good as it is made to be..... It is a good undercoating for a frame but not for a base on a car .... Heres what you should do.... start out with a wire brush on an angle grinder .. Take as much rust off as possible.... next - go to the paint store & get a bottle of "SEM -Rust Mort' -- it will kill rust dead in its tracks... you can actually see it dissolving it when it is just surface deep....... You wipe it on with some chemical gloves & a lint free cloth .....leave it sit & dry about 2-3 days .... wait untill it is really good & dry...... take a Dual action sander with about 80 grit & sand all of the excess off .... if there is pits that are left -- you should go get yourself some "Kitty Hair" -- Long or short strand fiberglass filler... This is water proof & is alot stronger then Bondo..... You should use this first whenever you do body work & use bondo as a skim coat of filler ......Not to fill larger dents....tehn you should use "flowable" spot putty on top of that for easy sanding ..... Hope that helps man.....

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I grabbed some Kitty hair, I don't have a DA.. Other then going out and buying one (which I will do shortly) any alternatives? I'll go get some of the Rust MOrt. and some POur15 (for the undercoat). I'll get a disposable camera and take a shitload of pics right now and get them developed when I'm depressed. heh... So those portable garages realy worth it? I was going to just put my project on the back burner under a tarp for 'bout 4 months while I go and build me a garage.... but if a portable garage would work then I'm all about it.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Originally posted by liquid@Nov 12 2003, 07:23 AM
I grabbed some Kitty hair, I don't have a DA.. Other then going out and buying one (which I will do shortly) any alternatives? I'll go get some of the Rust MOrt. and some POur15 (for the undercoat). I'll get a disposable camera and take a shitload of pics right now and get them developed when I'm depressed. heh... So those portable garages realy worth it? I was going to just put my project on the back burner under a tarp for 'bout 4 months while I go and build me a garage.... but if a portable garage would work then I'm all about it.
YOu can use a "Random orbital sander" from Menards or any Hardware store ...They cost from $30 & up..... It wont give you the same job as a D/A but, it will work..... YOu do not need to get The "POR-15" , it is nice stuff to use as a undercoating(Underside of your car) Not as good for a base coat for paint....I listed the steps to take in order to remove the rust ......You will have no trouble after that .....BOB_T

1 - 10 of 10 Posts