LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'd like to install a basic 2 pump, 4 dump, 4 battery setup in my 64 with 8's in the front and 10's in the back. i'd like to know what mods i would have to do the car to make this work properly.
would i need to shorten the driveshaft?
would i need to box the trailing arms?
would additional mods be required to run 12's in the back?
any help is greatly appreciated
thanks
:biggrin:

·
Registered
395 Posts
That setup shouldn't require any modofications if you take it easy.
Shortening the driveshaft is necessary with longer cylinders, like 14" +.
Boxing trailing arms is required when you start hopping with a trunk full of heavy batteries. 4 won't necessitate this sort of reinforcement.

So get your wrenches out and start that install!

·
Registered
5,876 Posts
You will need to get your driveshaft slipped and shortened along with a heavy-duty carrier bearing. You also still need to cut out the center of the frame where the drive shaft comes out. If you don't do this you will have problems. 12s will work just fine if you do this to the driveshaft.

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally posted by yetti@Oct 19 2003, 07:36 PM
You will need to get your driveshaft slipped and shortened along with a heavy-duty carrier bearing. You also still need to cut out the center of the frame where the drive shaft comes out. If you don't do this you will have problems. 12s will work just fine if you do this to the driveshaft.
what do you mean when you say i need to get my driveshaft slipped?

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
I would get the driveshaft fitted with a slip unit, cut out the center section of your X frame & thats about it......A heavy duty carrier bearing will be needed for sure ---the stock one will egg out & you will experience some serious sounding shit in the drivetrain.....

·
Registered
7,083 Posts
theres never any use for a heavy duty carrier bearing if the driveshaft runs smooth and the splince travel is long enough.

i run 20" strokes in the back with a og rubber bearing...
-no problem!

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Originally posted by badass 64@Oct 20 2003, 03:08 AM
theres never any use for a heavy duty carrier bearing if the driveshaft runs smooth and the splince travel is long enough.

i run 20" strokes in the back with a og rubber bearing...
-no problem!
I had on & it worked for awhile but it gave way later on... My buddys 62 just went & he replaced it with another stock one... I would just do it tho.... But, Thats just me....

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
I di a 64 four door about two months ago he had 12's in the rear he had to get the slip joint in the drive shaft and replace the carrier bearing he used the old rubber style bearing it worked fine. just make sure your slip joint slides easy or the rear end will pull the driveshaft out of the tranny thats when you will have probs with the rubber bearing.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Originally posted by Switchezz@Oct 22 2003, 07:18 AM
im going to try that og bearing because that solid carrier bearing makes a lot of noise
*** I have not heard a noise from mine........ :dunno: :dunno: :dunno:

·
Registered
410 Posts
WE SELL OUR DRIVESHAFT SLIP YOKE FOR $165.00 AND OUR HEAVY DUTY CENTER SUPPORT(CARRIER BEARING) FOR $75.00 BUT IF YOU CALL AND TELL ME THAT YOU HEARD ABOUT IT ON LAYITLOW.COM I'LL GIVE YOU A DISCOUNTED PRICE.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Ya you go ahead and buy their slip yoke I dont know many people that can put those in their driveshafts without a shop. I think the advertisement should have been bigger.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Originally posted by schmidt64@Oct 21 2003, 08:27 PM
whats the average price for a telescopic driveshaft for a 64?
the shop that does my driveshaft work charged me $350.00 for the slip yoke the new carrier bearing and new u joints on the 64 impala I did.

·
Registered
12,920 Posts
just to let u know.
i did my 63 last year... had a shitload of problems with the driveshaft.
i know all to well all those nasty noises a 2pc shaft can make in a tunnel.
take ur whole driveshaft to a shop.. have them ptu a slipyolk in it.(the first time i did it i put one with approx 2 inches) IT WASNT ENOUGH i didn't know it at the time.. and my 63 was one of the first in the city to have hydros(it's only now catchin on here).
anyways.. i had to redo it. now i have about 4 inches of slip. but i didn't know i had to cut down the rear shaft as well. so next year i will do that. i think it's about an inch i have to take out. thanks to rich for that info.
and i only have 10's in the rear of my car now.
also have the stock rubber hanger bearing.. seems to work well until i lift to high and bust it.

if anyone can add or correct me in any of that thanks.
layta

1 - 20 of 28 Posts