LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone post pics of the bag setup for the front and for the back? sorry for the ignorance but why am I seeing a bolt come from the top of the bag? Also Boulevard set me up good but I have a question on what brackets to use and how? someone help please

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I looked at your site but I still can understand about the threaded rod throught the top? Also How why must you put the pieces of pipe on both ends? I was told the less you put the lower it would go. It seems you put alot and your sets pretty low?

·
Registered
9,403 Posts
not all a-arms are the same and not everybody makes the same braket the bolt on the top of the cup should be a bolt that is welded to the top/inside of the cup and bolt threw the upper shock mount not all companies make that type of bracket i know of a few that are milled aluminum and i think fbi customs makes brackets also that do not have a bolt i guess you just set them in place or whatever but most people and i have always yoused "cups"
with the bolt

·
Face Puncher
25,975 Posts
Originally posted by 68deville@Nov 4 2003, 08:28 AM
I looked at your site but I still can understand about the threaded rod throught the top? Also How why must you put the pieces of pipe on both ends? I was told the less you put the lower it would go. It seems you put alot and your sets pretty low?
ya, I ended up not using that piece of threaded rod on the front uppers..

it should have went through the stock shock hole, but I ended up using that hole for the hose to pass through, and just tack welded the bracket in place..

as for the back, I put the frame on stands and used a jack to lift the rear end as far into the car as it would go.. measured the distance between the upper and lower perches, subtracted the compressed height of the bag, and that leave the height that the bracket needs to be.. then make the total height of the 2 brackets equal to the number you measured..

I made the bottom bracket tall enough to clear the akle tube, and put the rest on top..

you want to make sure the bag is fully collapsed when the car is all the way down, otherwise youre just losing stroke on tthe bag..

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Originally posted by 216RIDER@Nov 4 2003, 03:40 PM

...as for the back, I put the frame on stands and used a jack to lift the rear end as far into the car as it would go.. measured the distance between the upper and lower perches, subtracted the compressed height of the bag, and that leave the height that the bracket needs to be.. then make the total height of the 2 brackets equal to the number you  measured..
I did a similar thing, but I didn't have to take the car to bits to measure up. 216RIDER, correct me if I have made any mistakes here with my method:

I decided that I wanted my car's air suspension ride height for everyday driving to be the same as its standard ride height, because it is quite low anyway.

I took my car to my friend's garage and put it up on the vehicle lift - the type where the car is sitting on its wheels and therefore compressing the suspension to standard ride height.

I then used a tape measure and measured the coil spring heights (if yours isn't coils all round you could use a different reference point). The coil spring height gave me the dimension that my air springs/mounting spacers would have to equal when the air suspension has inflated the air springs to their design height.

For example, if my coil springs were 12" tall at ride height and my air spring design height was 6", then I have 6" left in which to use up with the spacers and mountings.

As 216RIDER said, the bottom mountings/spacers should be just tall enough for the air spring to SAFELY clear the bottom arm/axle or whatever suspension you have. So if you have maybe a 2" bottom mounting then you know that your top mounting will have to be 4". 6" air spring + 2" bottom mounting + 4" top mounting = 12" height of original spring at ride height.

You will have to look up the design height of your air springs. The ones that I am getting have a design height of 5-7", so I took an average of 6" to work on. Bear in mind that your car may end up riding better at slightly higher or lower than you expect. You will have to experiment, and possibly have to remove your mountings and re-make them slightly taller or shorter to give you a better starting point.

I hope this is of some help :) .

Last edited by M-827 at Nov 4 2003, 04:47 PM

·
Face Puncher
25,975 Posts
the way you described, the car would never go above stock ride height?

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
I was working on this:

Air Lift Gen II:

Minimum Height 2.8"
Design Height 5-7"
Maximum Height 9.5"

Surely if I am at standard ride height at 6" air spring height (its design height), the capability to go up to 9.5" and down to 2.8" gives me lift and drop capabilities over the standard ride height.

I presume that for the most efficient use of the air spring it needs to be at its minimum compressed dimension at the point where the suspension is bottomed out against its stops. If when you are against the stops the air spring is partially inflated, then surely you would be losing some of its raising capabilities.

Sorry if I have misunderstood the concept :) .

Last edited by M-827 at Nov 4 2003, 05:53 PM

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
I'm glad you said that, because I thought I had made a Buckingham Palace-sized mistake.

Phew!

:cheesy:

·
Premium Member
21,387 Posts
Originally posted by M-827@Nov 4 2003, 06:53 PM
I presume that for the most efficient use of the air spring it needs to be at its minimum compressed dimension at the point where the suspension is bottomed out against its stops.  If when you are against the stops the air spring is partially inflated, then surely you would be losing some of its raising capabilities.

I've got that problem.The back is perfect, but the front lays out and the bags are still at 60 psi!!! I guess i should rethink it huh?

I've got the a-arm shape bracket on the bottom, and a cup on top. Where would i need to add inches, top or bottom?

Last edited by 1ofaknd at Nov 9 2003, 02:38 PM

·
Face Puncher
25,975 Posts
Originally posted by 1ofaknd+Nov 9 2003, 02:37 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (1ofaknd @ Nov 9 2003, 02:37 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--M-827@Nov 4 2003, 06:53 PM
I presume that for the most efficient use of the air spring it needs to be at its minimum compressed dimension at the point where the suspension is bottomed out against its stops.  If when you are against the stops the air spring is partially inflated, then surely you would be losing some of its raising capabilities.

I've got that problem.The back is perfect, but the front lays out and the bags are still at 60 psi!!! I guess i should rethink it huh?

I've got the a-arm shape bracket on the bottom, and a cup on top. Where would i need to add inches, top or bottom?[/b][/quote]
if youre laying out with pressure still in the bags..

check to see if youre fitting the bumpstops when lifted..

if you are, you'll gain nothing by adding spacers..

my impala wont lift the front with less than 80 pounds..

so technically, I could have 60PSI and still be on the ground..

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
rip it all out and install juice immediatly

buying bags was ur first mistake ;)

i wanna see pics of the 68deville

·
Registered
15,195 Posts
Originally posted by M-827@Nov 4 2003, 08:53 PM
I was working on this:

Air Lift Gen II:

Minimum Height 2.8"
Design Height 5-7"
Maximum Height 9.5"

Surely if I am at standard ride height at 6" air spring height (its design height), the capability to go up to 9.5" and down to 2.8" gives me lift and drop capabilities over the standard ride height.

I presume that for the most efficient use of the air spring it needs to be at its minimum compressed dimension at the point where the suspension is bottomed out against its stops. If when you are against the stops the air spring is partially inflated, then surely you would be losing some of its raising capabilities.

Sorry if I have misunderstood the concept :) .
So, the ride height of your car is comparable to stock when inflated right? Whats the ride height of your car with the bags deflated? Are these specs for the rear as well?

·
Premium Member
21,387 Posts
Originally posted by 216RIDER@Nov 9 2003, 02:50 PM
if youre laying out with pressure still in the bags..

check to see if youre fitting the bumpstops when lifted..

if you are, you'll gain nothing by adding spacers..

my impala wont lift the front with less than 80 pounds..

so technically, I could have 60PSI and still be on the ground..
fitting the bumpstops? please explain a little more.

It starts to lift at 60 psi, and i ride at 90 psi. 70 for the rear.

·
Face Puncher
25,975 Posts
yep, in the front, theres not a whole lot available really..

1 - 20 of 22 Posts